OCCRA
Go to Post In my opinion, watching someone CAD is about as exciting as watching them sleep. - DampRobot [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
  #271   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2017, 03:58 PM
FRC #2876

Buxtonator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2018 Game Speculation

WE HAVE IT! We figured it all out! By making the connections with the teaser trailer, a FRC blog post, and a picture of the 2018 drive team buttons, we have the game for this year. Through logic and deductive reasoning, we have figured out the components of the 2018 game.
Basically, the game is going to be a water game (obviously). In autonomous, robots will use a metal 'spoon' to insert coins into a coin slot. Depending on how many coins are inserted into the slot, the electrical current will build up in 'power'. Once autonomous ends, the water will be shocked with the amount electricity earned in Auto. Robots will have to scoop that electrified water out with the same spoon (it could be a bowl, we're not sure yet). Using the energy from the water, teams would cook a pot of chili with the heat generated from the electricity. Whoever's chili is the most cooked by the end of the game wins!

But wait, there's more! Instead of using one type of coin (which would be too obvious), there would be 3 types of coins: 2 small coins, 2 medium coins, and 1 big coin. We're not sure what this means (yet), but we will soon. The evidence is in the number of circles (AKA coins) in the picture of chili.

What about human players, you ask? Who do you think stirs all that chili?

Check out this image and these blog posts to see the evidence for yourself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pb3...ew?usp=sharing
https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...t-registration
https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...wer-up-buttons

If you have any questions about our theory, feel free to ask me and my team of well trained experts.
  #272   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 12:21 AM
AKA: Diego
FRC #3255 (The SuperNURDs)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2017
GoDiegoPro is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't think anyone has talked about theses yet but these came from files on the FIRST Power up page under DLC pack 2. They look like blocks we'll have to connect to each other to form images like the bots in the game teaser photos
  #273   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 12:49 AM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDiegoPro View Post
Don't think anyone has talked about theses yet but these came from files on the FIRST Power up page under DLC pack 2. They look like blocks we'll have to connect to each other to form images like the bots in the game teaser photos
Are you suggesting making patterns with different colored blocks? Plausible, seems like the glyphs in FTC right now.

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #274   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 09:25 AM
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni

Landon K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm doubtful that they would post anything that would be close to a game piece before kickoff, I could be obviously wrong though. That would be a lot of cubes.
  #275   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 02:56 PM
AKA: Thomas K.
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Driver

Overlord6190 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is fake. The "blocks" are not in the DLC pack.
  #276   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 03:09 PM
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni

Landon K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord6190 View Post
This is fake. The "blocks" are not in the DLC pack.
I found them in the "Bring8BitAlive" folder under "bit1" and "bit2" as a .jpeg. They are posted by FIRST with the DLC content. Here is the link, it's in the DLC pack 2.
  #277   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 03:38 PM
AKA: Thomas K.
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Driver

Overlord6190 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh
  #278   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 06:32 PM
no team
Team Role: CAD

natth4545 has a spectacular aura aboutnatth4545 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon K View Post
I found them in the "Bring8BitAlive" folder under "bit1" and "bit2" as a .jpeg. They are posted by FIRST with the DLC content. Here is the link, it's in the DLC pack 2.
They are for 3D printing 8 bit objects
  #279   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2017, 07:36 PM
AKA: Diego
FRC #3255 (The SuperNURDs)
Team Role: Mechanical

GoDiegoPro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by natth4545 View Post
Yeah that seems more plausible now that i think about it.
  #280   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2017, 01:21 AM
no team

11BlackHawk24 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I have been reading and taking some notes on what people are saying and combined them with some of my own thoughts. I wanted to quote as many of the initial posters as possible to cite sources, but I apologize for my severe lack of motivation. Instead, heeeeere’s a list: GeeTwo, Hitchhiker 42, Big-b, Shiley, Maxcr1, lapickett, bduddy, Yourname, ctt956, cad321, & Tom Line. Furthermore, everyone has spectacular ideas about what the game could be, and this is merely my shot in the dark without any attempt to discredit another’s opinion of the likelihood of the game; because as the GDC has shown before, they can be unpredictable.

Starting off, I’d like to touch on new sorts of trends we’ve been seeing in the games, a new culture of themes. What else has come with this*? The diversification of scoring methods! Yes. While in the past we generally saw more simplistic 1 or two target games with possible variability in how you scored them, now we are seeing this in addition to secondary and tertiary objectives. In 2016, we had boulders (high & low goals), defenses, and climbing. In 2017, we had fuel (high & low boiler), gears, and climbing. I might go as far as to say this might be the new phase of “two-game-pieces-and-an-endgame,” to which the GDC would reply “it’s not a phase, community!”

That said, game pieces and objectives. I am almost certain we won’t be going back to the same single piece primary objective, secondary endgame. It’s been said before, I’ll say it again for the masses, I am pretty sure one game piece will be the coin. Whether it be hockey pucks (which I admittedly thought we’d have as coal last year), inflatable tubes, or some other sort of round object, I cannot say at all for certain. I do feel slightly stronger about inflatables, however due to the nondescript claw on the red robot on the middle panel/banners. However, I do have a new development I came across that I can’t believe I haven’t seen anyone else talking about yet.

https://imgur.com/R84e8MD
See it?

https://imgur.com/21apA6u
How about now?

Yes, this weird block on the robot’s chassis that almost disguises it as - and God forbid I actually say it – a fork lift of some sort. I think this is the second game piece we haven’t been talking about, even though this seems exactly like the “hidden in plain sight” game the GDC may or may not be playing with us. I’m going to call these “structure” or “level blocks.” We see a robot with level block placed on the side of the arcade game (in four out of the five levels), and also in banner one.

https://imgur.com/fKVO2Xb

And while you might discredit me for saying it appears on the side of the arcade game in the section that is “clearly” Logomotion, what if it’s not at all? After reading GeeTwo’s comment (on the nose as usual, in my book) I came to the realization that it really might not be Logomotion. Yeah, the logos are there, so what? Does that mean FIRST can’t incorporate their logo into a new game with a purposefully similar pixelated game preview? Definitely not, and as I said before, “hidden in plain sight.” What if the games that all had similarities to each other, included the 2018 game? Gee, that’d almost make sense. Proceeding, I think the games in top-bottom order are: 2016, 2005, 2017, 2018, 2007. I will be honest though. Past the prospect of the four games potentially having a similarity to the 2018 game, I don’t think there’s much there. Please though, be my guest to try to decode it and prove me wrong, maybe also suggesting it’s an underwater-drone-on-Mars game along the way. Moving forward.

For me, the banners are big. Pictures say a thousand words, and while those pictures’ words are garbled, I think some of them might overlap. Earlier on, there was a tuned banner that emboldened hidden lines in the banner which I hadn’t even initially noticed, relinked here. ~ What I see in the picture are the “goals” of sorts as GeeTwo described them, and a lightbulb at the top of a mast in the center region. A final note I took from the banners was the obvious presence of coins. In banner one, the robots have eyes and appear to be looking at each other. However, I saw something different, which was them looking at the coins nearest to them, possibly looking to intake them. And while this guarantees nothing, I feel like their mere constant presence in the reveal video and banners afford the hunks of metal some valued thought as game pieces (puns intended, don’t laugh). Lastly, in the second banner, we see a robot depicted at the base of the poster and another robot at a higher level. I have a hunch this is where the game theory takes over as it
ties into the “structure/level blocks.”

Okay. Here’s my #gamesense. In a culmination of coins, mechanics, level blocks, (and the goals?) I am pretty sure the object of the game is to end on a higher level than the opponent. Similar to Steamworks with gears and pilots, I think that robots will have to collect level blocks to give to mechanics a human player, which mechanics can use to level up their alliance. In turn, robots will use the coins collected to then “power up” the game by shooting coins through the moving targets (slots). This process would be repeated to continue earning points and leveling up your alliance to escape the game to freedom//play for real. Who knows. Maybe you need to stack level blocks up to certain levels like recycle rush. Wow, that’d be something.

Yes, I know. Shooting objects again right after last year. I get it. How about this though? Moving goals for coins; never seen before. Fields are becoming motorized, as seen in 2017 rotors. And it was already said somewhere that we wouldn’t be having banners due to the space being occupied above drivers stations, quite possibly by goals. Then again, maybe not. A light up bulb for what level each alliance is powered up to would be a nice touch. Who knows. Maybe they’ll try to repay us by never having the “building pressure” steam pipe LEDs work.

No, I don’t think there will be power ups, no I don’t think there will be any concept that is truly right, and for all I know, it could be a water game. But please no, not my first year as a mentor.

Honestly, you people amaze me on these forums. Thank you for making CD a more thoughtful board. As said before, everyone here is cycling through spectacular ideas about the game, and this is merely my shot in the dark. After spending [too much] time reading media surrounding the topic, I felt like a good holiday gift to the thread would be posting something instead of prowling.

All that said, have some safe holly jolidays and a happy New Year.
* (odd rhetorical question probably making you think this a water game conspiracy)
  #281   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2017, 04:17 PM
no team

11BlackHawk24 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I have been reading and taking some notes on what people are saying and combined them with some of my own thoughts. I wanted to quote as many of the initial posters as possible to cite sources, but I apologize for my severe lack of motivation. Instead, heeeeere’s a list: GeeTwo, Hitchhiker 42, Big-b, Shiley, Maxcr1, lapickett, bduddy, Yourname, ctt956, cad321, & Tom Line. Furthermore, everyone has spectacular ideas about what the game could be, and this is merely my shot in the dark without any attempt to discredit another’s opinion of the likelihood of the game; because as the GDC has shown before, they can be unpredictable.

Starting off, I’d like to touch on new sorts of trends we’ve been seeing in the games, a new culture of themes. What else has come with this*? The diversification of scoring methods! Yes. While in the past we generally saw more simplistic 1 or two target games with possible variability in how you scored them, now we are seeing this in addition to secondary and tertiary objectives. In 2016, we had boulders (high & low goals), defenses, and climbing. In 2017, we had fuel (high & low boiler), gears, and climbing. I might go as far as to say this might be the new phase of “two-game-pieces-and-an-endgame,” to which the GDC would reply “it’s not a phase, community!”

That said, game pieces and objectives. I am almost certain we won’t be going back to the same single piece primary objective, secondary endgame. It’s been said before, I’ll say it again for the masses, I am pretty sure one game piece will be the coin. Whether it be hockey pucks (which I admittedly thought we’d have as coal last year), inflatable tubes, or some other sort of round object, I cannot say at all for certain. I do feel slightly stronger about inflatables, however due to the nondescript claw on the red robot on the middle panel/banners. However, I do have a new development I came across that I can’t believe I haven’t seen anyone else talking about yet.

https://imgur.com/YU1h8PX
See it?

https://imgur.com/6ACZyhr
How about now?

Yes, this weird block on the robot’s chassis that almost disguises it as - and God forbid I actually say it – a fork lift of some sort. I think this is the second game piece we haven’t been talking about, even though this seems exactly like the “hidden in plain sight” game the GDC may or may not be playing with us. I’m going to call these “structure” or “level blocks.” They almost look if they are half of one section of the cross support that all the robots are driving on in the above pictures. Maybe this is part of the challenge in that we must rotate them to make this diagonal pattern with the blocks. We see a robot with level block placed on the side of the arcade game (in four out of the five levels), as well as in banner one.
https://imgur.com/7QM6bM4

And while you might discredit me for saying it appears on the side of the arcade game in the section that is “clearly” Logomotion, what if it’s not at all? After reading GeeTwo’s comment (on the nose as usual, in my book) I came to the realization that it really might not be Logomotion. Yeah, the logos are there, so what? Does that mean FIRST can’t incorporate their logo into a new game with a purposefully similar pixelated game preview? Definitely not, and as I said before, “hidden in plain sight.” What if the games that all had similarities to each other, included the 2018 game? Gee, that’d almost make sense. Proceeding, I think the games in top-bottom order are: 2016, 2005, 2017, 2018, 2007. I will be honest though. Past the prospect of the four games potentially having a similarity to the 2018 game, I don’t think there’s much there. Please though, be my guest to try to decode it and prove me wrong, maybe also suggesting it’s an underwater-drone-on-Mars game along the way. Moving forward.

For me, the banners are big. Pictures say a thousand words, and while those pictures’ words are garbled, I think some of them might overlap. Earlier on, there was a tuned banner that emboldened hidden lines in the banner which I hadn’t even initially noticed, relinked here. ~ What I see in the picture are the “goals” of sorts as GeeTwo described them, and a lightbulb at the top of a mast in the center region. A final note I took from the banners was the obvious presence of coins. In banner one, the robots have eyes and appear to be looking at each other. However, I saw something different, which was them looking at the coins nearest to them, possibly looking to intake them. And while this guarantees nothing, I feel like their mere constant presence in the reveal video and banners afford the hunks of metal some valued thought as game pieces (puns intended, don’t laugh). Lastly, in the second banner, we see a robot depicted at the base of the poster and another robot at a higher level. I have a hunch this is where the game theory takes over as it ties into the “structure/level blocks.”

Okay. Here’s my #gamesense. In a culmination of coins, mechanics, level blocks, (and the goals?) I am pretty sure the object of the game is to end on a higher level than the opponent. Similar to Steamworks with gears and pilots, I think that robots will have to collect level blocks to give to mechanics a human player, which mechanics can use to level up their alliance. In turn, robots will use the coins collected to then “power up” the game by shooting coins through the moving targets (slots). This process would be repeated to continue earning points and leveling up your alliance to escape the game to freedom//play for real. Who knows. Maybe you need to stack level blocks up to certain levels like recycle rush. Wow, that’d be something.

Yes, I know. Shooting objects again right after last year. I get it. How about this though? Moving goals for coins; never seen before. Fields are becoming motorized, as seen in 2017 rotors. And it was already said somewhere that we wouldn’t be having banners due to the space being occupied above drivers stations, quite possibly by goals. Then again, maybe not. A light up bulb for what level each alliance is powered up to would be a nice touch. Who knows. Maybe they’ll try to repay us by never having the “building pressure” steam pipe LEDs work.

No, I don’t think there will be power ups, no I don’t think there will be any concept that is truly right, and for all I know, it could be a water game. But please no, not my first year as a mentor.

Honestly, you people amaze me on these forums. Thank you for making CD a more thoughtful board. As said before, everyone here is cycling through spectacular ideas about the game, and this is merely my shot in the dark. After spending [too much] time reading media surrounding the topic, I felt like a good holiday gift to the thread would be posting something instead of prowling.

All that said, have some safe holly jolidays and a happy New Year.

* (odd rhetorical question probably making you think this a water game conspiracy)
  #282   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by natth4545 View Post
Quote:
Yeah that seems more plausible now that i think about it.
But wouldn't it be cool to see the big robots trying to make images out of those tiny blocks (pixels)
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #283   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2017, 10:18 PM
The Owen Day of Seattle
AKA: Jim Wright
FRC #4542 (Titanium Talons)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
JimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to behold

I think the game elements are going to be the same as the FTC Glyphs, but in brighter colors.

#284   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:41 AM
FRC #5124 (West Torrance Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2014
Sriram Neravati is an unknown quantity at this point

Big Ball Game
  #285   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2017, 05:23 PM
AKA: Armeen Mahdian
FRC #4096 (Ctrl-Z); fmr. FRC #1984 (Jawas)
Team Role: Programmer

nixpower is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: 2018 Game Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Do I hear an application for neural networks? Game piece detection... it would be really really cool to watch, especially at the high levels of competition.
Speaking of tech fads (flamewar incoming), perhaps we'll see something along the lines of a cryptocurrency, especially given the whole coin dynamic we're seeing. Grasping at straws here, but maybe a very simplified form of "computing hashes" or the formation of a "blockchain" network.

It's pretty unlikely, but still...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: