OCCRA
Go to Post Dave has said that straight out. Well, straight by dave standards. - phrontist [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
  #301   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:18 AM
AKA: HamGod
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
Citabria42 is a jewel in the roughCitabria42 is a jewel in the roughCitabria42 is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2018 Game Speculation

So the Power-up is the main thing, like Steamworks or Stronghold. Stronghold, you needed to shoot the balls to destroy your "stronghold". In Steamworks, you needed to apply balls to add more steam and the gears to run your airship. Now Power-Up could mean you need retrieve a certain amount of coins to "power-up".

It is highly plausible to have the initial component of the game is to receive points from the collection of coins. What I see happening is the need to collect coins, put them in certain awarded slots, and you gain levels as you get more. Now we could all be just theorizing the coins, but it sounds good. Either way, I am certain there is going to be a task to Power-up.

last 2 years they have had climbing situation, would it be absurd to assume a climbing of stairs or platforms? it could make sense if it is a retro VG theme.

Food for thought.
  #302   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:37 AM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citabria42 View Post
last 2 years they have had climbing situation, would it be absurd to assume a climbing of stairs or platforms? it could make sense if it is a retro VG theme.

Food for thought.
I think climbing the Mario staircase seen at the end of most Super Mario Bros. levels is the most likely. Teams would either climb the stairs with their main robot and deploy a mini-bot to lower a flag (end of each Mario level), or the mini-bot would need to climb the stairs before lowering the flag.
  #303   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
no team (College)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if stairs or ladders, though. Stairs make for an interesting terrain element, but ladders make for a more interesting end game, imo.

#304   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 11:50 AM
AKA: Hunter Greene
FRC #4272 (Maverick Boiler Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Hgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to beholdHgree56 is a splendid one to behold

I think something most of us are missing is the purpose of the 5th drive team member. Last year was the first time with them and they were on the field on an elevated surface. What if this year is similar in that the new member will stand on an elevated surface in either the middle of the field or above the driver station and the goal of the game is for them to “Power Up” like the goal of last year was to “Take Flight.”

Just my two cents. I guess we’ll find out on Saturday!
IN Perry M. 8th seed cap. QF w/ (4926 & 3180)
2017 IN Tipp. 1st seed and Finalist w/ (1501 & 447)

Thanks to our alliance partners: 337, 4213, 5403, 4008, 3487, 4580, 1501, 447, 4926, 3180, 71, 4982, 494, 1918, 3098, 5406, 1746, 910
  #305   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:35 PM
AKA: Matthew Stone
FRC #0302 (The Dragons)
Team Role: Human Player

GearLOading is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t believe that stairs are going to be a part of this because think about rookie teams. Experienced teams with good mentors and students can make something like that, but rookie teams have are inexperienced mentors and students will probably not be able to do this.
  #306   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
I think climbing the Mario staircase seen at the end of most Super Mario Bros. levels is the most likely. Teams would either climb the stairs with their main robot and deploy a mini-bot to lower a flag (end of each Mario level), or the mini-bot would need to climb the stairs before lowering the flag.
All of the really fast teams would go up the stairs while jumping backwards, which would be interesting.
  #307   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Strategy/Rules/Scouting/Volunteer
AKA: Tom Byrne
FRC #5137 (Iron Kodiaks)
Team Role: Mentor

Boltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearLOading View Post
I don’t believe that stairs are going to be a part of this because think about rookie teams. Experienced teams with good mentors and students can make something like that, but rookie teams have are inexperienced mentors and students will probably not be able to do this.
Considering every past four games have had hard scoring opportunities, I don't believe that stairs would be eliminated. Especially since its in the poster.

There could be ramps and stairs... similar to HG/LG

Iron Kodiaks Team #5137 San Marcos, CA
2018 Orange County Elimination Alliance (5477.5209) QF
2017 Ventura Captain 3 (8, 3882) QF
2016 Central Valley Captain 2 (973, 2135) SF
2015 Ventura Elimination Alliances (696, 1836) SF
2014 San Diego Rookie All-Star Galileo Division
San Diego (Home regional/practice days) : Not chosen '18 Elimination Alliances:'17 (399, 968) SF ,'16 (1159, 812) SF , '15 (3021, 1772) QF

Volunteer @ Orange County 2016, 2017, 2018 Ventura 2018
  #308   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:52 PM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
Rangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearLOading View Post
Very challenging tasks are not all that uncommon and are usually not even a problem as long as there are other ways to play the game. 2013 pyramid climbing and 2017 shooting come to mind and neither had a very adverse affect to rookie teams because there were other ways they could play the game.

#309   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
All of the really fast teams would go up the stairs while jumping backwards, which would be interesting.
AGDQ starts this weekend, do you think they'll add a slot for a FIRST Power Up speed run?
  #310   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 05:10 PM
AKA: Max D "Code Boy"
FRC #2169 (KING TeC)

Rookie Year: 2016
Maxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant future

I am predicting that the trend of "humans manipulating game pieces before they are scored" like gears will continue. I also believe that if you follow the 4-year field-configuation theory, it makes a lot of sense that the "technician" would come in contact with the scoring object, most likely coins of some sort. If I had to guess, I would predict robots deliver coins to the drivers, and those drivers in turn score the coins. However that may be too similar to Steamworks. Your guess is as good as mine. I guess we'll find out Saturday.

#311   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 05:14 PM
AKA: Max D "Code Boy"
FRC #2169 (KING TeC)

Maxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
AGDQ starts this weekend, do you think they'll add a slot for a FIRST Power Up speed run?
Did someone say Ri3D?

#312   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM
FRC #4039

Shifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to behold

Call me crazy but I think several things point to the possibility of a Microsoft Hololens (or similar) headset being included in this year's KoP and being integral to the 2018 game:
Opens up a plethora of options for an 80’s-video-game-themed FRC game: Spy Hunter weaponry, Mario tubes, Pac-man power pellets, etc.
  #313   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute

"Technicians" are actually in the role of Donkey Kong and get to stand on top of the structure on the field and throw flaming barrels at the opposing robots. Who cares if your robot is water proof - the real question is whether or not it is flame resistant.
WI RPC: 2006 - 2016 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #314   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team
Team Role: Alumni

ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayShower View Post
I did a thread search and it doesn't seem like anyone's incorporated the removal of team banners into their theory.

See this blog: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...-rules-updates

What could this mean?!
I included this in my theory with the "monitors" above the alliance walls, as there would be no space for banners/standards with those in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman View Post
The game was working in the teaser, so don't see where any of these electronic theories fit in unless it "breaks"
The airship in the Steamworks teaser was fully functional (it was just a still image, but it is flying in the picture), yet the ones on the actual field required delivery of gears to operate. Also, all game consoles I've used will at least somewhat function without controllers or A/V cables connected.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton

Last edited by ctt956 : 01-04-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo
  #315   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 07:19 PM
FRC #5804 (TORCH)

Rookie Year: 2002
dbartels has a spectacular aura aboutdbartels has a spectacular aura aboutdbartels has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
Call me crazy but I think several things point to the possibility of a Microsoft Hololens (or similar) headset being included in this year's KoP and being integral to the 2018 game:
Opens up a plethora of options for an 80’s-video-game-themed FRC game: Spy Hunter weaponry, Mario tubes, Pac-man power pellets, etc.
@Shifter

I'm surprised more people haven't suggested an AR/VR/MR component. (Maybe they have and I just haven't seen it.)

There were several questions about adding this to the game in last year's end of season polls & Vuforia is included in the virtual KOP.

Microsoft gave every team a Kinect for Overdrive. Their new mixed reality headset is going to be priced at or under $399 and content for it can be created with Vuforia. (The Hololens is $3000, the current model is being replaced with new tech and each one is a wifi access point - it's not going to be the Hololens)

I've already predicted (to my team) that we'll get the new Microsoft MR headset and it will be used by the technician.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: