Go to Post The most important deisgn criteria is always performance in any of the parts / systems we design. But we do try to abide by the saying -- if it doesn't look good (right), it probably isn't good (right). - Adam Freeman [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to behold
pic: Custom CNC Router V2

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM
FRC #1768

Rookie Year: 2015
FrisbeeFunTime is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: Custom CNC Router V2

I really like the way this looks. My only potential issue that really isn't an issue all things considered is that there isn't a way cover on the x-axis. I've found that with my 3040 the way over actually does a fairly good job keeping the axis clean.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2017, 11:31 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

That is indeed a far more solid looking machine.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Hey, what's in the bag?
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

For greater rigidity, use a wider Y carriage; the 5 or 6 inches I see isn't wide enough to be as rigid as the underlying rail. Ditto the Z mount on the X rail

You really need to think hard on those screws: They are slow, and they will tend to whip if not properly supported (look up "slender column").

A spindle with VFD is used to get the range of speed (mostly slow) needed for cutting materials such as Alu. A router will cut Alu too. They are somewhat louder, but on a $1500 budget if $450 is one single item... Maybe start with a router ($100) and upgrade later if needed. Or build an enclosure for sound.

Spritzing coolant by hand is sub-optimal. A Harbor Freight airbrush pencil will make a fine mist sprayer with a little effort in mounting. For $10.

For Alu, you need a great way of holding the work down. Screws into wood or MDF will work, but a few strips of 80/20 to slide carriage bolts into will be better. Look at a Kronos Robotics KRMx02 to see a wonderful (but costly) bolting table.

No matter what, you will gain really valuable experience building it, and the next one will be even better!

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: