OCCRA
Go to Post I have a pair of lucky safety glasses too. When I wear them I never get stuff in my eye. I swear.... - vivek16 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What type of pool noodle does your team prefer?
Solid 62 50.00%
Hollow 62 50.00%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2018, 09:13 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of
Hollow vs Solid Noodles?

I know legally you can have either, but which does your team prefer and why?

We were talking about ordering more noodles for the upcoming season, and we have been using solid for years, but we didn't really have a reason to over hollow, which are cheaper.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hollow vs Solid Noodles?

#PetalMasterRace
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2018, 11:29 PM
FRC #1665 (Weapons of Mass Construction)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2017
Aaron Li will become famous soon enoughAaron Li will become famous soon enough
We've been using hollow. Cheaper is probably one of them. Maybe cutting of the bumper weight? My rookie year was 2017, the team started in '05. I can't even track the games that far.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
img]http://i.imgur.com/hBGnCkd.png[img

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 06:36 AM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Being able to pick up additional noodles at the local big box store makes the hollow noodles the more convenient option.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Hollow. Definitely cheaper, massively more available. $1 each at Dollar General in the summer, about twice that at Wal*mart during build season.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 07:05 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

In theory, based on first-year college solids classes, I would assume that the hollow noodles would be better at padding collisions, while the full noodles would be better at hit sticking and would stand up to more abuse. This because the hollow noodles compress more, meaning the same impulse (i.e. change in momentum) is taken over a larger amount of time, therefore producing a smaller average force.

In practice, I don't think you'll see much difference. The weight difference is negligible, and it's rare to see teams get close to the bumper weight limit anyway. A few pounds difference in your robot's weight will probably make more of a difference than changing your pool noodle type. I don't have any data to back this up, and I haven't heard of any teams actually researching this. But honestly, you'll probably get better performance returns by putting the time into improving other aspects of your robot than testing different types of pool noodles. The best ones to get are probably whichever ones you can find easier locally, and that I can't really answer.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 08:33 AM
AKA: Noah Brooks
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud of

I've made a few bumpers with both hollow and solid noodles. I haven't noticed a huge durability difference between them, but the solid noodled do seem to roll off defense and field elements a bit easier.

They also can have the fabric pulled a bit tighter over them before they start to deform, which is a huge plus on the visual side, but is also much harder on the fabric over time. Not a huge deal for us as we either patch or replace our fabric as needed between events.

Good-looking bumpers > Good-looking robot

My thoughts, opinions, and smart-aleck comments do not represent those of my team.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Robot Mentor
AKA: The Bearded ONe
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

You should add an option for don't care. Weight difference is not significant unless you fill the hollow middle with metal pipe. (Please don't do this.), Some say solid is better for avoiding T-Bone pins.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Mentor
FRC #0176 (Aces High)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Shahil_FRC will become famous soon enough

There is more to be gained in trying different bummer fabrics then the noodle selection inside of the bumper. Many teams run different materials to try to avoid/mitigate the friction pinning effect.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahil_FRC View Post
There is more to be gained in trying different bummer fabrics then the noodle selection inside of the bumper. Many teams run different materials to try to avoid/mitigate the friction pinning effect.
Fabrics are absolutely important, but using a firm, solid noodle instead of a limp, hollow noodle is just as important. The less compressibility you have in your noodle, the less susceptible you are to friction pins. (On the flip side, you are also less able to initiate these pins)
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Fabrics are absolutely important, but using a firm, solid noodle instead of a limp, hollow noodle is just as important. The less compressibility you have in your noodle, the less susceptible you are to friction pins. (On the flip side, you are also less able to initiate these pins)
Only scrubs initiate friction pins anyway.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

We can fit way more ball bearings in our hollow noodles.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the pros use solid noodles and then pocket them themselves.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
Scrubs - I see what you did there.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 02:29 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: