OCCRA
Go to Post I always love the optimism of [build] week 1. - Donut [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
  #451   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Game Hint #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanela View Post
the only thing about he two-floor system is safety. How would you safely get robots off if they are on the top of the field? Everyone remembers the rule last year where you had to roll the robot over the bump and couldn't step over it. If GDC is that picky about safety, then I don't think they could really do a multi-level field unless it is just a single platform or something.
Simple, the robot start position must be touching an edge of the second level, making it so peopl never have to step onto the level.
  #452   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:22 PM
That Guy
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics), FRC 272 (Cyber Crusaders), FRC 6808 (WTR)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the only thing about he two-floor system is safety. How would you safely get robots off if they are on the top of the field? Everyone remembers the rule last year where you had to roll the robot over the bump and couldn't step over it. If GDC is that picky about safety, then I don't think they could really do a multi-level field unless it is just a single platform or something.
If they let us roll the bots over the humps, I am pretty sure they would be ok with us bringing the robots to the edge of the step and then removing them from the field. If safety is a large concern, the GDC would probably make a ramp or 2 so teams could safely take their robots off the field. Or maybe a ramp is included on the field to the ramps.
  #453   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
Simple, the robot start position must be touching an edge of the second level, making it so peopl never have to step onto the level.
OK, what about the end of the match? Somebody ends up on top. Now what?

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#454   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What if the second level was only a foot and a half higher than the first? If kids can take down robots that were hanging from the very top of the tower this year, I don't see why they couldn't take a robot off of a platform that's not too high off of the ground. I think that the issue with the bumps this year was that they were very wide and hard to step over easily while carrying something.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): Ramp Riot '18, Brunswick Eruption '18, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16 '18, MAR Hatboro-Horsham B '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17 '18, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #455   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM
+1 is BIGGER than -1
AKA: Joshua Manela
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)

Rookie Year: 2009
jmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
What if the second level was only a foot and a half higher than the first? If kids can take down robots that were hanging from the very top of the tower this year, I don't see why they couldn't take a robot off of a platform that's not too high off of the ground. I think that the issue with the bumps this year was that they were very wide and hard to step over easily while carrying something.
I guess it depends on how the second level is built. If the 2nd level is shaped like a model runway or something where two people can safely roll the robot to the end and take it off, that would be fine. However if it is a big open space there really isn't anywhere safe for two people to lift a robot.

*EDIT
Unless of course, the GDC provides a ramp in each field - Cyberphil's idea
||2009|| Entrepeneurship Award, QF - Traverse City | Rookie All Star, QF - Detroit | Highest Rookie Seed, Rookie All Star, QF - Michigan State Championship | Finalist - MARC ||2010|| Engineering Inspiration, Website Award, SF- Kettering | Judges Award, Website Award, SF - Detroit | Website Award, Winner, Michigan State Champ //Thank you 469 and 1918!! | Finalist - MARC ||2011|| Engineering Inspiration, Website - Kettering | Entrepreneurship, Website, Finalist - Waterford | Website - MSC

Last edited by jmanela : 12-22-2010 at 11:41 PM.
  #456   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:45 PM
FRC #0696

Bobert will become famous soon enoughBobert will become famous soon enough

I've cracked it! Little Eva's second album was released in 1989, the same year that FIRST was founded. The album was called "Back on Track." Another album with the same name was released that year. The first track in that album is called "Big River to Cross."

Welllllll, obviously.......

We either have to get on a track or cross a river.
  #457   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
I've cracked it! Little Eva's second album was released in 1989, the same year that FIRST was founded. The album was called "Back on Track." Another album with the same name was released that year. The first track in that album is called "Big River to Cross."

Now Back On track sounds like a game name...

edit: Track + Locomotion = trains... Something about trains...
  #458   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

OK I think those two clues are pretty plausible. The track reference has been going back and forth on here for quite sometime. Along with crossing the river assumption, maybe there could be a bridge into play. Who knows?

Off Topic: Is anyone actually more scared than excited for this game?
FRC 254: The Cheesy Poofs - 2019 -20XX

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."
  #459   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:49 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

That does sound like a good name, and that is a nice find! Of course again that could just be a stand in for the actual idea. Like they could mean something related to what it says.

Mechanical Engineering - UCF(Class of 2016)
Mechanical Engineer - Sonny's Enterprises
  #460   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Alumni
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmolloy View Post
OK I think those two clues are pretty plausible. The track reference has been going back and forth on here for quite sometime. Along with crossing the river assumption, maybe there could be a bridge into play. Who knows?

I'm more than ready, I took the last year's robot into my house and I am currently working on the vision system. Im ready for anything.
  #461   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
I'm more than ready, I took the last year's robot into my house and I am currently working on the vision system. Im ready for anything.
Be sure to release all of that pre-season developed code online if you intend to use any of it!
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #462   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Haha I'm really just nervous about the game and how it's going to turn out. The GDC is so unpredictable!
FRC 254: The Cheesy Poofs - 2019 -20XX

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."
  #463   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Alumni
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Be sure to release all of that pre-season developed code online if you intend to use any of it!
Sure thing, it turns out WPI students already coded 90% of the code I needed... I just need to put it all together in a nice package and make them work... I mean they make it so easy that they already have code for blob tracking
  #464   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM
FIRST. Much better than SECOND.
AKA: Jason
FRC #1474 (Master Link Militia)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2008
WhiteShadow1474 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmolloy View Post

I'm so excited. It's my senior year and i'm ready to build the most amazing thing in the club's history!

We had huge potential last year in theory... but not so in practice
However, that's in the past! new game new start. only a few more weeks. hopefully Christmas can distract me...

#465   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:06 AM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure thing, it turns out WPI students already coded 90% of the code I needed... I just need to put it all together in a nice package and make them work... I mean they make it so easy that they already have code for blob tracking
It won't be so easy soon Multiple blobs in one picture, blobs in different light / reflecting light... It's just the beginning.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: