OCCRA
Go to Post If mentors don't respect the students' desire to learn and take an active role in the construction, they're missing the point of FIRST. If students refuse to accept the knowledge and experience of the mentors, that's not independence - it's arrogance. - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Programmer
FRC #1717 (The D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
jakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud of
pic: 2012 1717 Wheel Module Photo 4

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 2012 1717 Wheel Module Photo 4

This is a thing of beauty. Great Job 1717!

Do you think we would be able to get the CAD of this?
Team 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Engineer at JBT FoodTech
AKA: Jonathan Stokes
FRC #5817 (Uni-Rex)

Rookie Year: 2007
steelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond reputesteelerborn has a reputation beyond repute

1717 does not usually post CAD files, but they really put a lot of pictures up you should be able to get a lot of information from that.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Lead Mentor, Lead Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

Rookie Year: 2003
David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
This is a thing of beauty. Great Job 1717!

Do you think we would be able to get the CAD of this?
I read in the "1717 Uncut" CD thread that a couple of thousand hours were invested in this design.

I thinks you're asking for a lot!!
2003 AZ: SF, Motorola Quality; SoCal: QF, Xerox Creativity; IRI: QF || 2004 AZ: SF, GM Design; SoCal: Winners, Controls; Champs: Galileo #2 seed, QF; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finals, Controls; SVR: Winners, "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Champs: Archimedes SF; IRI: Finals
2007 LA: Finals; San Diego: QF; CalGames: Finals || 2008 San Diego: QF; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finals || 2009 LA: SF; Las Vegas: QF; IRI: #1 Seed, Finals
2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finals || 2011 SD: QF; LA: QF || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finals || 2014 IE: QF, LA: Finals, Dean's List Finalist
2016 Ventura: QF, WFFA, Eng Inspiration || 2017 Central Valley: Dean's List Finalist; LA: SF, Entrepreneuer || 2018 LA: Chairman's, WFFA, Finals
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Rookie Mentor
AKA: Ian
FRC #0997 (Spartans)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
IanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brinza View Post
I read in the "1717 Uncut" CD thread that a couple of thousand hours were invested in this design.

I thinks you're asking for a lot!!
Here's the specific quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sheridan View Post
In regards to releasing the CAD, their mentors told me the Swerve drive alone took 5 students and 5 mentors over 2000 hours to create.
I'm confused how ten people could even spend 2000 hours working on a model during the build season and still have time to actually fabricate it, let alone design the rest of the robot. I mean, with school, homework, sleep, and my team's build space not being open, I wasn't even able to put in 200 hours over the course of the entire build season, and that includes time spent CADding at home.

At any rate, the quality of their end product and the dedication of all involved speaks volumes about the quality of the program DPE/Team 1717 has formed. I am inspired by their work (I've read The New Cool twice) and certainly look forward to seeing their future robots. Hopefully, they will continue to showcase them as well as they have done this year.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Andrew Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Here's the specific quote:

I'm confused how ten people could even spend 2000 hours working on a model during the build season and still have time to actually fabricate it, let alone design the rest of the robot. I mean, with school, homework, sleep, and my team's build space not being open, I wasn't even able to put in 200 hours over the course of the entire build season, and that includes time spent CADding at home.

At any rate, the quality of their end product and the dedication of all involved speaks volumes about the quality of the program DPE/Team 1717 has formed. I am inspired by their work (I've read The New Cool twice) and certainly look forward to seeing their future robots. Hopefully, they will continue to showcase them as well as they have done this year.
I think the "2000 hours" is collectively over the course of the 4 year time period in which they started using swerve. It could be in one build season, but like you said it would be tough.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
rookies rock part 2
AKA: Brian Smist
FRC #6870 (BEAM Robotics)

briansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond repute

This is simply incredible. Also, since this is the picture with the comments, I have a few questions for Jake (or anyone else who knows the answers).

How much does a module weigh?
In fps, how fast are the modules geared for?
What's the final gear reduction on the banebot?
Why roughtop tread over wedgetop?
What program do you use for CAD?

All in all, amazing work.

Development Engineer at PostProcess Technologies
University at Buffalo Mechanical Engineering Class of 2016
2018-20XX | Mentor | 6870 | Beam Robotics
2014-20XX | Mentor | 4930 | Electric Mayhem
2013-2013 | Mentor | 0229 | Division by Zero
2009-2012 | Student | 1507 | Warlocks

Last edited by briansmist : 07-19-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Enjoying the Sunset
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
I think the "2000 hours" is collectively over the course of the 4 year time period in which they started using swerve. It could be in one build season, but like you said it would be tough.
The context of the conversation with the mentor was the work required over one season including the pre-season. The point he made to me was to get as much work done during the pre-season our else one will never get the swerve drive done.

I actually typed it wrong. He told it was actually 3000 hours
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Lead Mentor, Lead Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

Rookie Year: 2003
David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect there were 3000 work-hours invested in the 1717 wheel module design. With 5 students and 5 mentors working together, we're talking about 300 hours of actual clock-time.

It's possible the preliminary design was created in 8-10 weeks during the fall. Some prototyping could be done while the final design (part-level detailed drawings) was developed in first few of weeks of build season. Wheel modules could then be fabricated and assembled for the competition robot in time to complete controls software and test drive the robot before the "stop work" date.

Team 1717 is very well-organized and disciplined to manage such a development in this time frame. Keep in mind their all-senior robotics team walks into each FRC season with CAD, fabrication and programming skills. They're able to hit the ground running every season. They'll be a force to be reckoned with in FRC for some time to come.

P.S. The new Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy facility is ready and Amir has posted a job opening with applicant qualifications you might expect for a leading R&D lab.
2003 AZ: SF, Motorola Quality; SoCal: QF, Xerox Creativity; IRI: QF || 2004 AZ: SF, GM Design; SoCal: Winners, Controls; Champs: Galileo #2 seed, QF; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finals, Controls; SVR: Winners, "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Champs: Archimedes SF; IRI: Finals
2007 LA: Finals; San Diego: QF; CalGames: Finals || 2008 San Diego: QF; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finals || 2009 LA: SF; Las Vegas: QF; IRI: #1 Seed, Finals
2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finals || 2011 SD: QF; LA: QF || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finals || 2014 IE: QF, LA: Finals, Dean's List Finalist
2016 Ventura: QF, WFFA, Eng Inspiration || 2017 Central Valley: Dean's List Finalist; LA: SF, Entrepreneuer || 2018 LA: Chairman's, WFFA, Finals
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
]\/[ Go Blue!
AKA: Solomon
FRC #1076 (Pi Hi Samurai)
Team Role: Coach

Zebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant future

It looks awesome, but I imagine that module is heavy. Well, I guess I'd be best to ask just how heavy is one of those things?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra_Fact_Man View Post
It looks awesome, but I imagine that module is heavy. Well, I guess I'd be best to ask just how heavy is one of those things?
I got to handle one at the FRC Championships this year at their pits. and No it isn't very heavy. For a swerve drive it is pretty lightweight. I would guess between 6-8 lbs including motors and everything.
Team 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
]\/[ Go Blue!
AKA: Solomon
FRC #1076 (Pi Hi Samurai)
Team Role: Coach

Zebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant future

WOW! That's not bad at all!!! Anytime you can keep you drivetrain under 30lbs you're doing alright.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Resident Solidworks Guru
AKA: Glenn
FRC #4146 (Sabercat Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
glennword is a splendid one to beholdglennword is a splendid one to beholdglennword is a splendid one to beholdglennword is a splendid one to beholdglennword is a splendid one to beholdglennword is a splendid one to behold

Also, how do you drive the motors? I cant quite figure it out from the photos
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:07 AM
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Adrian Clark is a jewel in the roughAdrian Clark is a jewel in the roughAdrian Clark is a jewel in the roughAdrian Clark is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennword View Post
Also, how do you drive the motors? I cant quite figure it out from the photos
Look at the other pics of the module and you'll get a better idea of its interworkings.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

They use a RS - 500 for the module rotation and a CIM to power the wheel. They use the spur gears to drive everything.

-RC

Last edited by R.C. : 09-10-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: