Go to Post No email, no telephone, no FIRST. I can't wait.... - RoboMom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
  #196   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
Irregardless
Twitch... Twitch... shudder...

Though admittedly my first thought in seeing this thread come back was that "No one ever claimed engineers are good at English." I certainly wish we could break that stereotype, but the fact of the matter is that 90% of engineers hate writing and aren't good at it.

And another thought is that many of the kids that get up there are so nervous that I'm impressed they can manage any form of correct or incorrect English. Its hard to be in front of a crowd that large, especially when your team's entire destiny may be on the line!

But good points all around. We should be doing everything we can to make a good impression on all those that come for the finals of the event. Figure out a way to train your students to use English good! (::sarcasm:
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #197   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitneylion452 View Post
How about "The great team of XXXX abstains, courteously."

That's a reference from something, but I don't remember what . The original is "The great state of Virginia abstains, courteously."
That is a reference from the movie/musical "1776".

The original is "The great state of New York abstains, courteously."

There is a punch line in the 3rd act about how everyone in the New York legislature talks over each other and yealls so that the don't listen to each other and can't accomplish anything so the delegation never gets any direction.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #198   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM
You cannot not make a difference
FRC #2170

Rookie Year: 2004
Bill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot View Post
Twitch... Twitch... shudder...

Though admittedly my first thought in seeing this thread come back was that "No one ever claimed engineers are good at English." I certainly wish we could break that stereotype, but the fact of the matter is that 90% of engineers hate writing and aren't good at it.
Woodie Flowers notwithstanding - Gracious professionalism instead of Professional Grace? Save weight and ditch the extra syllables. Give the MPAA a run for its money by redefining PG-13.

Unfortunately the converse is not true. Awkwardness with English and grammar does not indicate a propensity for engineering or science. Like, 'fer shur, dude!
  #199   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach O View Post
The grammar errors have never made a difference to me, since these improper terms have become the standard in FIRST. Teams "graciously accept" other teams, and alliance selection students say "we" would like to select, as opposed to "I" would like to select (I say "we" because although I am selecting a team, I am representing the whole team and the selections of the whole team, not myself). In fact, it's always weird to me when someone switches from the usual (unspoken but agreed upon) vernacular for FIRST robotics alliance selections.

I think as long as people are acting professional on the field during selections, it doesn't matter what adjective you use to accept.
Ur rite. It's jst lk txtN. evry1 dz it, so it's fyn. It's nt lk Ull 4gt h2 typ lk a norml pRsN, amirite?*

The point is that using poor grammar is habit forming, and thus a bad idea. If you don't try and use proper grammar all the time, you're going to get sloppy and sound foolish.

If the "and" I bolded up there sounds normal to you, you've already succumbed to an extraordinarily common mangling of English that still doesn't make sense to me.

So, back on point, "graciously accept" or, heaven forfend, "graciously invite" is a ridiculously bad usage. In the former you sound like a high-society blowhard that's kindly doing a team a favor by accepting their invitation. In the latter, you sound like a high-society blowhard that's doing a team a huge favor by oh so kindly stooping to lift them up out of their poverty and offer them the enormous opportunity of working with your team. This is seriously what you sound like to any person that speaks proper English.

Yes, I know, "but we all know what it means". Which is true for someone in the FIRST culture. In case you haven't noticed, we're trying to change the rest of the culture to bring more people in. Sounding like a high-society snob is not conducive to this.

And I pity the kids that this becomes ingrained in. I shudder to imagine them "graciously accepting" a college's admission acceptance. "Graciously inviting" friends, parents, or their teachers to their graduations. "Graciously accepting" job interview offers. Or client invites. Or bid opportunities. Or proposals. Hopefully not the Pulitzer Prize, though. I fear that they will wander through life never understanding why people around them give them funny looks every time the word "gracious" passes their lips.

*Yes, I found an english to text translator for this.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #200   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM
on walkabout
FRC #2175 (The Fighting Calculators)

Rookie Year: 2008
Aren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
Irregardless of people's feelings on the matter, for all intensive purposes it doesn't really matter what you say, as long as you're accepting without taking anything for granite, right?

"It sounds right" and "It's what everybody else says" doesn't mean it is correct or even makes sense.
Defiantly
  #201   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Roaming GeorgiaFIRST MC
AKA: The Mecanum Man
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Alumni

Brandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Zalinsky has a reputation beyond repute

"Team XXXX regretfully accepts."

That's what I want to hear. Or, in the words of Brendan McLeod, who has now passed on this tradition to me, "Team 1058 accepts graciously." It gets a reaction from the crowd and is supposedly more correct than "graciously accepts."

2014- Excellence in Engineering (UNH), District Chairman's Award (NU), #8 Quarterfinalist (NECMP), Winner (Mainely Spirit)
2013- Semifinalists (Battlecry@WPI) Winner (Mainely Spirit)
2012- Regional Chairman's (GSR), Finalists as the #11 Alliance Captain (Battlecry@WPI)
2011-Xerox Creativity Award (GSR), Semifinalists (GSR) Innovation in Control (Virginia)
2010-Winner (GSR), Undefeated (Chesapeake), Coopertition Award (Chesapeake), Quarterfinalists (Galileo) 8th AC (IRI)
2008-Undefeated (GSR), Xerox Creativity Award (GSR)
  #202   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak-Bait View Post
"Team XXXX regretfully accepts."

That's what I want to hear. Or, in the words of Brendan McLeod, who has now passed on this tradition to me, "Team 1058 accepts graciously." It gets a reaction from the crowd and is supposedly more correct than "graciously accepts."
It's not the order that matters, it's using the word at all.

Gracious: 1. Characterized by kindness and warm courtesy. 2. Characterized by tact and propriety.

Would you say: "Team 1058 accepts with much tact and propriety"? Exactly how tactful is it to walk around declaring how very tactful you are? How is it particularly gracious to declare just how very gracious you are?

It's the same problem you'd have if you went around telling everyone you knew about how great you are because you're so humble. It's a contradiction in terms. The whole point of this nigh unto 5 year old thread is that if you declare you're "graciously accepting" you're most definitely not being very gracious.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #203   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Holy thread revival batman!

I am still waiting for somebody to say
"TONIGHT, WE DINE ON EINSTEIN!"
**and the crowd goes wild**
  #204   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
FRC #3184 (Burnsville Blaze)

jvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure somewhere in this long thread someone suggested this, but here goes...

Wouldn't it be better to say " Team xxxx accepts your gracious offer to join your alliance." This compliments the asking team for being gracious, and provides a humble stance for your own team in that it says 'we are not worthy to join you, but your graciousness has welcomed accepted us"
FRC, Mentor, Inspector #3184 2016- #4859 2015, #2530 2010-2014 FTC Mentor, Inspector #7152 2013-14
  #205   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Jack of all trades master of none
AKA: Loyal
FRC #0716

Rookie Year: 2012
loyal is a name known to allloyal is a name known to allloyal is a name known to allloyal is a name known to allloyal is a name known to allloyal is a name known to all

inconceivable, or you bet your bippie, or surely you jest, or Ill take FRC alliances for 500 Alex, or come on down, or that would be the cats meow, or wait what who me
  #206   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Boiler Strong.
AKA: Ben Carson
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2010
Duke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we could say we gratefully accept?

-Duke

The opposite of excellence is good enough.
2012-2013 President; 2011-2012 Vice President
2011-offseason FRC Student Drive Coach; 2010-11, 2011-2012 VEX Drive Coach
2011, 2010-offseason FRC Driver/Operator
2012, 2011-offseason, 2010-offseason FRC Human Player
Find me on: Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger/Blogspot
  #207   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot View Post
And another thought is that many of the kids that get up there are so nervous that I'm impressed they can manage any form of correct or incorrect English. Its hard to be in front of a crowd that large, especially when your team's entire destiny may be on the line!
Cue Libby Kamen making fun of me botching my own team number not once, but twice, during alliance selection at the 2007 VCU regional.
  #208   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2010
MagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan View Post
Holy thread revival batman!

I am still waiting for somebody to say
"TONIGHT, WE DINE ON EINSTEIN!"
**and the crowd goes wild**
On this note, "Join me, and together, we can rule the court as alliance captain and alliance member" as an invitation.

Obviously based on this quote "Join me, and together, we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"
  #209   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)

MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light

"I take it the odds are stacked against us and the situation is grim."

...you could say that...

"You know, if Spock were here, he'd say I was an irrational illogical human being for taking on a mission like that...sounds like fun!"

Needless to say, they wouldn't let me do it. (Kudos to whomever gets the reference.)

#210   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Formerly known as PAR_WIG1350
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 2009
DriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitneylion452 View Post
I do have an issue with the term "irregardless." If you break it down, you have "ir," "regard," and "less." Ir is a prefix which indicates negation, regard is the base, and less is a suffix which also indicates negation or lack of. So, putting that all together, we get "not without regard" or more simply, "with regard." It makes no sense to say "irregardless" to mean "without regard."

Heil Webster!

[/rant]
No wonder you feel contempt for the word, you are looking at it wrong. "Ir" does not modify "regardless", it modifies "respective", as in "irrespective". Irregardless is a portmanteau formed from these two commonly accepted words.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: