OCCRA
Go to Post When we went to Wonderland people were like "So are you guys part of a rugby team or something?" and i was like "No...FIRST robotics! It beats rugby anyday" - Laura 1547 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
  #256   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2016, 04:32 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
But they have to give someone the offer, just like my NCAA bracket has to have a winner.

EDIT: I really should have just stayed out of this conversation, I truly care very little about how teams accept invitations.
Would you not like an NBA or NFL draft pick to say thank you to the team that picked them?

Mechanical Engineering - UCF(Class of 2016)
Mechanical Engineer - Sonny's Enterprises
  #257   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2016, 10:01 PM
FRC 2959 Alumna
AKA: Michelle Lester
FRC #5484 (Career Academy Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
beurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to behold

After hearing an FTA explain why you should never use "graciously accept", we began saying, "Team 2959 would love to unleash the beast with you". (We refer to our mascot and robot as "The Beast".) At Lansing, our field captain used a play on what the MC said about our captain though. (Something about comets... I don't remember.) I'm a fan of "punny" ones, honestly. Have fun with whatever you choose to say!
---1 Blue Banner (IN St Joseph Champion 2017), 4 Awards, and 2 Years and COUNTING!
Head Coach of FTC Team 12014 (The Fire Wires) (2016-????)
---3 Event Wins (NorWestIn 2017, Bash on the Wabash 2017, and Indy South 2018), 1 Time State Finalist, 1 Event Finalist (NorWestIn 2018), 1 Rookie Sensation Award, and 2 Years and COUNTING!

Starting the robot revolution at Saint Mary's College and The University of Notre Dame. Go Belles and go Irish!
  #258   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Drive Coach | College Student
AKA: Shajed
FRC #0334 (Techknights)

Rookie Year: 2012
TheNerdJedi will become famous soon enoughTheNerdJedi will become famous soon enough

Alliance Selections have been a lie!
  #259   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 06:57 AM
A Little Awesome Robot Maker
AKA: Nathan Shepherd
FRC #2079 (4H ALARM Robotics) & #246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
NShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me pose a question here:

What's the big deal?

The fun thing about language is that if everyone knows what you mean, it doesn't actually matter what you say, and I think there are better uses of our time than language/grammar-policing alliance selections. If you want to use "graciously accept", more power to you. If you don't, then don't.

So long as you don't trip over your own words like last year at RIDE and mash together "graciously" and "gratefully" forming something like "grashfully", which ends up sounding like "gracefully" with a lisp.

FLL:
2011, 2013

FRC:
2015 - 2017 : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (student)
2018 - present : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (remote mentor), 246 Overclocked (mentor)

Boston University Class of 2021
  #260   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NShep98 View Post
Let me pose a question here:

What's the big deal?

The fun thing about language is that if everyone knows what you mean, it doesn't actually matter what you say,...
On the other hand, many of us are engineers who value precision and accuracy in communication. Words mean things.
  #261   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 07:37 AM
A Little Awesome Robot Maker
AKA: Nathan Shepherd
FRC #2079 (4H ALARM Robotics) & #246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Alumni

NShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
On the other hand, many of us are engineers who value precision and accuracy in communication. Words mean things.
I understand that precision and accuracy are important, but there are times and places to enforce (not) wording something a specific way, which I personally reserve for tools, measurements, and the like, and not for general speech.

FLL:
2011, 2013

FRC:
2015 - 2017 : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (student)
2018 - present : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (remote mentor), 246 Overclocked (mentor)

Boston University Class of 2021
  #262   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM
The ride never ends
AKA: Christian Steward
FRC #5420 (Velocity)

Rookie Year: 2011
dubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond reputedubiousSwain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand that precision and accuracy are important, but there are times and places to enforce (not) wording something a specific way, which I personally reserve for tools, measurements, and the like, and not for general speech.
No one is trying to "enforce" anything, but for a lot of us nerds, seeing people willfully do/say something wrong, is frankly kind of annoying. We aren't trying to act superior or be pedantic, we are simply asking everyone to consider the words they say and what they mean. Words only have the power and meaning we give them. Using commonly agreed upon definitions keeps our speech robust and accurate and makes sure everyone can understand each other.

An example: the difference between nauseated and nauseous. Consider this situation: someone in the pits forgot to put on deodorant and is standing right next to me. I want to tell them they are nauseous, but when I do, they think I mean they are nauseated, and they are rightly confused.

Of course, it is the responsibility of the speaker to make sure his point is conveyed accurately, but wouldn't it be so much easier if we could all be concise and precise.

Using words sloppily like this isn't the end of the world, but at the end of the day, it makes it that much harder to convey what you want in the way you want to.

I leave you with a relevant xkcd:

Last edited by dubiousSwain : 03-28-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added link to xkcd
  #263   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if everyone knows what you mean, it doesn't actually matter what you say
Actually, it does matter.

Here's the problem with that line of thought:

When it leads to the creation of new words with a specific and generally-understood meaning, it can be a good thing.

But when you take an existing useful word and make it ambiguous, it can be a bad thing, especially if that word has no suitable unambiguous replacement.

#264   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Vice President
AKA: Cooper
FRC #3647 (Millenium Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rook42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I panicked as my team representative and said "Thanks, we're in."
  #265   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

I graciously accepted a bunch of food this Easter Sunday.
I said "Thank you."
I did not say "I graciously accept this food."
I'd have been shunned for saying that.
  #266   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Was the food really that bad?

#267   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Theory Crafting Fo days...
AKA: Charles Ives "M" Waldo IV
FRC #1339 (Angelbots)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
IronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
I said "Thank you."
I did not say "I graciously accept this food."
I'd have been shunned for saying that.
On behalf of my stomach I graciously accept...
Yeah that'll get you a robotics intervention.
  #268   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronicDeadBird View Post
On behalf of my stomach I graciously accept...
Yeah that'll get you a robotics intervention.
Funny you say that. I learned the hard way that it is a good idea to eat before alliance selections. Although it did keep me from being completely devastated when we got eliminated since that meant food.

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017
  #269   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2016, 03:38 PM
AKA: George Chisholm
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
George C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to beholdGeorge C is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
To graciously accept is a bit of an insult to the inviting team. My OED defines gracious as "kind, indulgent and beneficent to inferiors". That's usually nowhere near what the user intends. I can understand referring to a Robertson screwdriver as a square screwdriver or a twist drill as a drill bit as the words could be construed to mean the same thing.

George Chisholm
2003-2015 Founding Mentor FRC 1334 The Red Devils
2011 Woodie Flowers Finalist, Waterloo Regional
2015-Founding Mentor FRC 1360 Orbit Robotics - Oakville's Community Team
www.1360.ca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: