OCCRA
Go to Post Programmers fuel: pure, unadulterated caffeinated beverages. - Mike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Dean Kamen's Inventions
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattK
Congrats Deka and Dean!

If you have not heard the Ibot was just Finally approved for use by the FDA! Check it out here

I think we should all send congrats letters to Dean and the Deka Engineers, anyone interested!?!?!

The Address is-

340 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH (USA) 03101-1121

If you don't want to send Deka Snail mail... you can simply e-mail me here make sure the subject line says "CONGRATS!"

I will than print out all the e-mails and put them into a packet and deliver them to DEKA myself (Possibly via segway).

Thanks Guys!

Lets show our support!

-Matt

my myspace!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
16 awesome years of FRC!
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Oooh, just beat me to it. I saw this article:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/952065.asp?0cv=CB10

This is a great breakthrough, and it will be a wonderful tool for many people all over the world.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2003, 09:05 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
Saw it on Techlive just about 45 minutes ago. Now, handicap people will be less handicap. Could this be more useful (right now, anyway) then the Segway?

Anyhow, I believe this calls for the ceremonial "flooding of Dean's inbox to show how much we worship him" routine.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2003, 10:10 PM
FIRST Mentor & Nemo member
no team (FIRST Mentors)
Team Role: Mentor

Leon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Leon Machado IV Send a message via MSN to Leon Machado IV Send a message via Yahoo to Leon Machado IV
Interesting thing though is I don't think it was the 2000 that got approved. You tell me...

http://www.jnj.com/news/jnj_news/20030813_165623.htm
AIM: tj2rebel
YIM: l1machado
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando
I think it's great that it's finally out and they plan on having people in them in just a few months. I just wonder about this prescription and training assesment stuff. I know there are safety concerns, but will they end up denying capable and qualified people from benefiting from this new tech?
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2003, 12:39 AM
FIRST-a-holic Strategist
#1011 (CRUSH)

WakeZero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WakeZero Send a message via Yahoo to WakeZero
*Snicker*

For those of you who aren't familiar with this wonderful web-comic, it can be found at http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com... Warning: although this one is clean, some of the other strips contain some lanquage not suitable for children
2003 Arizona Regional -- Rookie All-Star Award
2003 Arizona Regional -- Quarterfinalist

Alumni on Team 64, The Gila Monsters
College Mentor/Founder of Team 1011, CRUSH
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Webmaster, spamrobotics.com
AKA: Jon
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to robot180
That was a funny comic. I feel that I never have to look for these things, because you guys post it all. I can just find it all here.
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Schuff Rocks my Socks :)
AKA: Michelle Zimmer
#0093 (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Student

chellyzee93 has a spectacular aura aboutchellyzee93 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to chellyzee93 Send a message via Yahoo to chellyzee93
This is huge. I work with the elderly. For those who live in retirement homes or on assisted living this is great to help them stay independent with safe aids.

Note: I realize this is also a great advancement for those who are younger, but this is how it effects my life and the people in it.
Team #93 New Apple Corps

2004 Xerox Creativity Award
2004 St. Louis Regional- 5th Seed

Just waiting for that second wind to kick in

-Chell
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattK
I was at a "Howard Dean House Party" last night. He was coming to give a speech so the place was packed. There was one women in a wheel chair who could not get up a small series of log type steps. She could have really really really used that Ibot. She would have also been able to stand up and talk to everyone. But instead she sat there alone.

The Ibot could have made all the difference in the world!

my myspace!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
AKA: Amber Hannay-Denslow
no team

Amber H. will become famous soon enough
When I was little; ahem, I mean; younger (no comments from the peanut gallery [Chris]), I got to know the constricted life of being trapped (and I really mean trapped) in a wheelchair (thankfully) on a temporary basis.
The only ramp at the elementary school was on the opposite side of the city block sized complex from my classroom and the lunch room, which had only a four foot set of stairs between them. Getting to and from lunch and out to recess was frustrating at best. There were so many places I could not go. Try being raised in California and denied access to the beach.
While I am grateful for some of the fun things like, taking my baby brother for a spin on my lap, finding the limit of how fast I could go before the wheels started to shudder, and getting really buff arms, I sure would have liked to have been able to go up stairs, out on the sand, and through narrower doors (which the Ibot allows for). Even when you are a kid, being physically lowered by the seat of a wheelchair can be demeaning.
I do still think though, that a racing model chair that is lower to the ground might be better in a game of handball. I wonder how well the Ibot would do at that.

Opera Company, SUU.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2003, 09:47 PM
FIRST Mentor & Nemo member
no team (FIRST Mentors)
Team Role: Mentor

Leon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Leon Machado IV Send a message via MSN to Leon Machado IV Send a message via Yahoo to Leon Machado IV
I remember the short period of time I was confined to a wheelchair. Having to run to the one elevator down the other end of the building 3-4 times a day to get to classes what a pain. This invention will change the world and we're all thankful that Dean came up with it.
AIM: tj2rebel
YIM: l1machado
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2003, 12:29 PM
FIRST-a-holic Strategist
#1011 (CRUSH)

WakeZero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WakeZero Send a message via Yahoo to WakeZero
Quote:
Originally posted by Amber H.
I do still think though, that a racing model chair that is lower to the ground might be better in a game of handball. I wonder how well the Ibot would do at that.
Oh come on, you would be towering over the rest of the players in the Ibot... you would win every time
2003 Arizona Regional -- Rookie All-Star Award
2003 Arizona Regional -- Quarterfinalist

Alumni on Team 64, The Gila Monsters
College Mentor/Founder of Team 1011, CRUSH
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2003, 12:51 AM
AKA: Amber Hannay-Denslow
no team

Amber H. will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by WakeZero
Oh come on, you would be towering over the rest of the players in the Ibot... you would win every time
That's true, but what about the ability to scoop up the ball from off of the ground or hit low ones in general?

It would be interesting to see an Ibot pitted against a standard racing model in a game (The players should be given ample, or at least equal time to train though to make it a true test).

Opera Company, SUU.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: