OCCRA
Go to Post The driver must have a relationship with the robot, the driver should talk to the robot, speak soft encouraging words to it. Pet names are also a good idea. If the driver does not love the robot, how can the driver learn to trust the robot. - Gboehm [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #5924 (The Cat Machine)

Rookie Year: 2010
connor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond repute
Your views DO reflect those of your team

"...my views do not reflect those of my team, employer, etc..."

I've seen this sort of disclaimer pop up a few times lately (especially in fun political threads), and I felt it important to talk about. Even if your views aren't stated positions of your team, they can have real consequences.

As a simple example, if you post something inflammatory or trollish, another team might pass up on picking your team as an alliance partner, even though you included a disclaimer. It's probably true that the stated positions of your team differ from your own personal views, but the team ended up facing the consequences. The team is a part of your identity as much as you are a part of the team's identity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't pick and choose which parts of your identity "actually matter" when you post online. Either own all of it or don't post - the disclaimer does nothing.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your views DO reflect those of your team

I think people over estimate how far their CD posts really reach into the FRC world. If someone chooses to pass on a team because of what one of the members said on CD you probably wouldn't want to be picked by them anyway.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:33 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor.worley View Post
"...my views do not reflect those of my team, employer, etc..."[...]

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't pick and choose which parts of your identity "actually matter" when you post online. Either own all of it or don't post - the disclaimer does nothing.
And for those of you who think this only applies online... Welcome to the real world, where the clothes you wear can also send a message of being part of an organization, and shape everybody else's view of that organization, regardless of whether or not you are actually part of that group. (Oh, and remember that employers like to take a look at social media feeds when they can.)

A person in a team shirt does something that somebody else doesn't like... but is that just a random parent, a team member from some other team that traded for that shirt, or a student or mentor on the team? For purposes of perception, it doesn't matter, that experience will color that other person's view.

I'd also like everybody to remember something about this forum: You never know when you'll run into another member in person, at competition or around it. I know, for a fact, that some of those encounters can shape online perception (and vice versa). I know... because I've had some of those encounters.

Folks, there's this thing called "reputation". No, not the Taylor Swift album. To quote Merriam-Webster's...
Quote:
Definition of reputation

1 a : overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general
b : recognition by other people of some characteristic or ability
  • has the reputation of being clever
2 : a place in public esteem or regard : good name
  • trying to protect his reputation
As an example of a reputation, I would say that, for example, 254 has a reputation for building quality robots year after year, that are powdercoated blue.

Reputations are notoriously easy to destroy, notoriously hard to build up. (Or is it that bad reputations are notoriously easy to obtain?) You want to have a good reputation. Having a bad reputation can make it difficult to get and keep a job--even if you're a good worker a bad reputation for other things can hurt.

Remember whose shirt you're wearing, and what team number is on your profile. If you're anonymous, remember that that decision also affects how you are viewed (even if nobody knows what team you're on, it can affect you personally).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Last edited by EricH : 12-27-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Can't spell late at night.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Lead Mentor
FRC #5924 (The Cat Machine)

Rookie Year: 2010
connor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
I think people over estimate how far their CD posts really reach into the FRC world. If someone chooses to pass on a team because of what one of the members said on CD you probably wouldn't want to be picked by them anyway.
I did choose an extreme example, but a possible one. Less extreme consequences are possible as well.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Captain | Driver | Mechanical
AKA: Carson Gray
FRC #6398 (Kilo-Bots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
WhiteBoySwag has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteBoySwag has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteBoySwag has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If someone chooses to pass on a team because of what one of the members said on CD you probably wouldn't want to be picked by them anyway.
Agreed. With the mentality that a single person's post is going to determine an alliance, I'd find it hard to believe that the "negative" team would be passed up seven more times. It's the quality of the bot and drivers that I have seen matter the most, not where those drivers or team members stand on an issue or what they say online.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:46 AM
Mentor | Drive Coach
AKA: Sarah Soriano
FRC #1810 (Jaguar Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
And for those of you who think this only applies online... Welcome to the real world, where the clothes you wear can also send a message of being part of an organization, and shape everybody else's view of that organization, regardless of whether or not you are actually part of that group. (Oh, and remember that employers like to take a look at social media feeds when they can.)

A person in a team shirt does something that somebody else doesn't like... but is that just a random parent, a team member from some other team that traded for that shirt, or a student or mentor on the team? For purposes of perception, it doesn't matter, that experience will color that other person's view.

[...]

Remember whose shirt you're wearing, and what team number is on your profile. If you're anonymous, remember that that decision also affects how you are viewed (even if nobody knows what team you're on, it can affect you personally).
I definitely agree with this and I have also dealt with this to some extent. In a group I'm with in college we pride ourselves on our reputation, which can be hard to manage with college-aged students. A lot of how that goes has to do with the representation we have with our spirit wear we receive. We get a lot for free but we have restrictions to places we can wear them.

That even extends to not wearing your spirit wear to bars. We weren't allowed to wear our hats backwards for a number of years just for the way our staff thought it make us look. They want to keep our reputation out of the hands of whatever events an individual may do at a bar because of the effects it can have on an outside member.

This idea extends to teams, even though it may be on a different scale or level. I know I still am guilty of judging teams the way I see their members act outside of matches which changes my perspective of them.

Jaguar Robotics & KU School of Design
2016-Current Mentor 2015-2016 Team Captain 2014-2016 Drive Team 2014-2016 Electrical Captain 2013-2014 Safety Captain
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:53 AM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree. Adding on to that, it's important to note that each member of a team is their own individual person. Not every member will hold the same opinions about everything, and it would be foolish to dismiss a team because someone had the "wrong" opinion in this corner on the internet. I've seen some opinions I disagree with on here, and I even have some names in mind. But not a single one of those names is associated with a team to me, and I wouldn't hold it against those teams for allowing their members to express themselves online.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:07 AM
Human left pad
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team (3184 Alum)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute

I see that disclaimer thrown around in political threads a lot. I remember when people say something I disagree with, and every once in a while when I see that person on a different thread, I think to myself "That person disagrees with me on X topic." It's a bit of an intrusive thought, because in my front brain I know that what this person knows about strategy or gearboxes or whatever isn't impacted by what they think about Colin Kaepernick. I think in that situation, the disclaimer serves as a reminder to not get caught up in it, that we can have a productive conversation without taking things personally.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:11 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to alliance selection, I would have a REAL hard time believing that Captains would pass on a team due to comments and reputation on an online forum such as this.

Team turnover is relatively short, and memory of online posts are even shorter when your goal is to win an event.

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:46 AM
A Little Awesome Robot Maker
AKA: Nathan Shepherd
FRC #2079 (4H ALARM Robotics) & #246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
NShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that there are situations where OP's point is more relevant. The posts that come to mind are those talking about your or another team. If you're willing to boast about your own team or bash another team publicly, it stands to reason you have no qualms about doing the same privately, at which point who knows who's listening and agreeing with you? There's a specific example of the former that I can think of that made several people think less of the affiliated team, even if only in the short term. Even in other cases, you never know who's looking at what you say, or for what reason.

That being said, I do feel the phrase has become a bit cliched within the FRC community. People have it in their signatures at this point. I'm not sure how much it's really doing to impact what I think about your input.

Mostly just be careful what you say and don't do anything stupid enough that it brings your affiliations into question and generally things work out.

FLL:
2011, 2013

FRC:
2015 - 2017 : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (student)
2018 - present : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (remote mentor), 246 Overclocked (mentor)

Boston University Class of 2021
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Brian Rozmierski
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2016
bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute

Something to consider.....

The FIRST community is diverse. I'm going to talk politics here, but only as an example. We're diverse in many ways. Students on my team run the political gambit and have varied views.

If I'm going to weigh into a political discussion on CD, especially a contentious one, I may well use that disclaimer, not to attempt to influence the reader's perception of me, but to be clear that while my political views may be the same as some of the students on my team, they are certainly not the same as all the members of my team. It would be unfair for me to speak on a forum, identified by my team number (in the header of each post), and not make clear that this view may be contrary to that of some of my team.

Additionally, in this example, our team is apolitical in it's function. We're not a political organization, and to imply that the views I personally express are those of the team as an organization would be improper.

Alternatively I would have a 2nd CD account without a team tagged, but that's not permitted by the forum rules - thus everything we say is associated with our team, but not everything we all say is the official position of our team.

Finally, if a CD community member, who knows of these rules, reads our posts and thinks that everything they read without that disclaimer represents the official views of that team, I think we have a different problem.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

My pants reflect those of my team.
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

With social media such a prevalent part of our lives nowadays it is very easy too have team members go rouge and do things online that make the team look bad. As I said before to a student "too many people have worked too long and too hard for many many year building this team's reputation up to have you tear it all down with a moment of reckless selfishness."
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I'd also like everybody to remember something about this forum: You never know when you'll run into another member in person, at competition or around it.
Virginia Regional a few years ago, wearing my team sweatshirt that has my last name printed on the front. Stopped by a team pit and one of the adults says "Hey, you're notmattlythgoe on ChiefDelphi!".

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
With social media such a prevalent part of our lives nowadays it is very easy too have team members go rouge and do things online that make the team look bad. As I said before to a student "too many people have worked too long and too hard for many many year building this team's reputation up to have you tear it all down with a moment of reckless selfishness."
^QFT^

While I won't let 1 post define a team, each and every post and interaction with that team goes into forming my opinion of that team.

There are teams that can say "we've got this fixed" and I will believe them without seeing it ... because of their reputation.

There are also teams that if they say "We've got this foxed" I need to see it ... again because of reputation.

One last thing ... whenever you are working for a team, you represent that team. People will attach your reputation to that team. They will judge that team by your actions (and posts), regardless of any 'this is my opinion, and not that of my team'.

A good reputation is difficult to gain, and easily destroyed.
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: