Go to Post Cheaters never win, winners never cheat. :) - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 05:22 PM
garyk garyk is offline
Programming Mentor, 972 and 2643
FRC #2643 (Dark Matter)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Santa Clara (Silicon Valley) Calif.
Posts: 171
garyk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant future
The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

The first 80% of the tasks take 80% of the time.
The final 20% of the tasks take the remaining 80% of the time.

Sadly, this is true more than we want to believe.
__________________

Silicon Valley Regional 2005, 2006 972
Silicon Valley Regional 2007 668 Xerox Creativity Award
Championship Event 2007 668
Portland Regional 2008 668
Silicon Valley Regional 2008 668, 972
Beta Test Team 2008 668 (with 100 & 254)
Silicon Valley Regional 2009 668 Regional Chairman's Award; 2643
Sacramento Regional 2009 668 Winning Alliance (thanks, 1717 & 2473!), 2010 Winning Alliance 3256
CalGames 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Field Tech
NorCal FTC Regional 2008, 2009 Inspector
Championship Event 2009
San Diego, Silicon Valley Regionals; Champ. Event 2010 668, 2643, 3256
Silicon Valley, Madera Regional 2012 2643
WRRF Programming Instructor 2006-2016
Regional Woodie Flowers Award 2014 2643 Utah Regional

Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 06:32 PM
JacobD's Avatar
JacobD JacobD is offline
Registered User
AKA: Jacob
no team
Team Role: College Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Rookie Year: 2013
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 179
JacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the rough
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The first 80% of the tasks take 80% of the time.
The final 20% of the tasks take the remaining 80% of the time.

Sadly, this is true more than we want to believe.
Don't you mean the first 80% takes 20% of the time.

Also, this was one of the first lesson I learned my first semester as a mechanical engineering major. It could not be more true. The closer to finishing a project you get, the more problems (and more difficult problems) you run in to.
__________________
SolidWorks CAD
AutoCAD
Java
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM
pkrishna3082's Avatar
pkrishna3082 pkrishna3082 is offline
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Minnetonka, MN, USA
Posts: 627
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobD View Post
Don't you mean the first 80% takes 20% of the time.
Maybe it means that we need 160% of the time we actually get, but I guess "the first 80% takes 20% of the time" is more inline with other 8020 rules.
__________________

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Captain (2+ yrs), Programming Lead (3+ yrs), Driver (2+ yrs), Operator (1 yr), 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka/Tater Bot Hot Dish) - Founding Mentor
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador

Last edited by pkrishna3082 : 01-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Foster Foster is offline
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,524
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The first 80% of the tasks take 80% of the time.
The final 20% of the tasks take the remaining 80% of the time.

Sadly, this is true more than we want to believe.
Sadly, this is true more than the rest of us want to believe either.
__________________
Foster - VEX Delaware - 17 teams in 2016/17 -> 62 teams 2017/18 -- Chief Roboteer STEMRobotics.org
2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship
2006-2017, over a decade of doing VEX, time really flies while having fun
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
philso philso is offline
Mentor
no team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,497
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobD View Post
Don't you mean the first 80% takes 20% of the time.

Also, this was one of the first lesson I learned my first semester as a mechanical engineering major. It could not be more true. The closer to finishing a project you get, the more problems (and more difficult problems) you run in to.
If one is following Karthik's Golden Rules, you are likely to be correct.

If one is breaking Karthik's Golden Rules, what garyk wrote might be generous.
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 09:54 PM
EricH's Avatar
EricH EricH is offline
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,708
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

I've also heard it expressed as the 90-90 rule: the first 90% takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

That would be the pessimist's version...
__________________
Past teams:
2003-2007: FRC0330 BeachBots; 2008: FRC1135 Shmoebotics; 2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk



Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 04:35 PM
natth4545's Avatar
natth4545 natth4545 is offline
Registered User
FRC #5338
Team Role: CAD
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 46
natth4545 is on a distinguished road
Re: The 80%/20% rule of project scheduling

Right now its seeming like the 99/1 rule...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi