Go to Post Winning, the objective, the thing you can point to and say "See that? We want to do that. What can we do to make our program better, to improve our chances at that?" is what has grown FIRST from 28 teams in a high school gym to where it is today. - Joe G. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
AKA: Mak
FRC #0216 (The Robodawgs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
lakstick is a jewel in the roughlakstick is a jewel in the roughlakstick is a jewel in the rough
Re: Did You Catch 'Em Being Good?!

My personal favorite part of the year was when the mentor of team 3396, Imperium Machinamentum, came to team 216's pit at Waterloo and thanked us profusely for the help that we had given them, last year! It really caught my attention and made me think about how much of an impact you can have on others!
2013 Western Canada Regional Finalist!
2013 Western Canada Regional Gracious Professionalism Winner!

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM
FRC #2194 (Fondy Fire)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Mark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud ofMark Holschuh has much to be proud of

Big Al Skierkiewicz and his crew of inspectors on Newton for their sage wisdom and their help to improve our robot each day.

Jim Hackbarth, who was quick to jump to help other teams whenever he heard an announcement in the pits.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Build bridges not walls.
AKA: Carolyn Noble
FRC #1024

Rookie Year: 2003
Carolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

James and Kelcey on Archimedes were two of the field reset crew and they were awesome. With a few other people we got a good system down that allowed us to quickly set up then have time to goof around and dance on the barrier between matches: definitely a highlight of my trip. They both cheered on teams, said good luck to drivers as they got set up, and genuinely cared about doing a good job. AWESOME volunteers.

Tim (one of the mentors from my team, 33!) came by the field with a coffee for me when I desperately needed the extra energy boost. So appreciated.

The drivers from 67: LOVE these kids. Always make me laugh. So dedicated. After they lost in the finals on Archimedes, they both shook hands with their opponents and congratulated them. Very classy high school students.
"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." -Isaac Asimov
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
AKA: David
FRC #2115 (Nightmares)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Leeebowitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Something small but something wonderful to hear: At championship, a girl on 2200 drops her bag of hand-out buttons and they scatter across the floor in the middle of one of the exits from the stadium, which as you all probably know, are never uncrowded. Everyone stops to help her pick them back up.

At Wisconsin, the majority of our team hadn't arrived with our back bumper so that we could pass inspection Friday morning and were stuck in the terrible traffic. The inspectors came over and gave us the materials and worked alongside those of us who were there to make a new, legal bumper. It was only because of them that we passed inspection before our first match.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
"Team Mom" @khayes1489
AKA: Kirstie Hayes
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

Rookie Year: 2008
QueenBot is an unknown quantity at this point

FTA Paul George on Newton for allowing me to be on the elim. field with my team because they don't remember to drink water or listen to other people [volunteers, FTA] when Swoopes [our robot] is in their presence.

So many acts of kindness, hugs and general niceness was witnessed at Championships!!

2012:
Newton Division Semi-Finalists thanks to 1717 & 469
Autodesk Oregon Regional
GM Industrial Design winners
Seattle Cascade Regional
Delphi Engineering Excellence, Champions thanks to 2046 & 492

--
2011 Seattle Cascade Regional Champions
thanks to 1510 & 2660
&
2011 Autodesk Oregon Regional Champions
thanks to 360 & 3711

"It's not about kids building robots... it's about robots building kids." -Bud Hayes
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
AKA: Oliver Graff
FRC #3780
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
linuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud oflinuxboy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post
Rob Jenkins and all the FTAs on Archimedes. The one time our robot died during a match, they were all over at our robot working on it at the side of the field after the match. We never did find a specific issue, but they were very helpful in working with our drivers to understand exactly what happened.

Next couple times we were out there Rob specifically came up and asked us if we found anything or experienced any issues after our matches.

Rob was also our FTA at most of our Michigan districts and MSC. So we all felt comfortable knowing he would be there for us if anything happened.

THANKS Rob!
I do wish we had figured out what happened to you guys. I was CSAing (orange hat guy) for Rob and Jerry (The Archimedes FTAs), and they did an amazing job making my job easy doing things like you said, such as running up right after the match to try and find the problem, and then having me follow teams back. I remember one instance where Jerry actually came back to the pit too in order to make sure a team would be able to connect their next match, he did the same thing at CTR. I think he's the only FTA I've seen do that.

- Oliver
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
No Resistance. Absolute Power.
FRC #3941 (Absolute Zero Electricity)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Programmer3941 is an unknown quantity at this point

Team 27 RUSH -- The interest so many student members showed in my team and the smiles with which they listened were truly inspiring. It was even more inspiring to listen to them explain many of their innovative outreach endeavors and bear our hundreds of detailed questions about each. They also encouraged teams in the most inventive way I have yet seen...they gave out their own "Spirit Award" to a team in Curie that (although their robot did not perform well) understood what FIRST is really about -- STEM, learning, attitudes, and values.

A mentor from team 836 Robobees -- This patient individual responded immediately to our call for help about intermittent BaneBot motor response, and remained in good humor when the motors showed no signs of failure once he showed up. He later returned to help us with camera issues and was a huge part of why we got that camera working.

Lastly, the longsuffering inspection crew of Curie -- Three of the inspectors stayed with us in our pit for hours as we fixed previously overlooked bumper infringements and wiring errors and re-mounted components after having completely leveled our robot for modification Wednesday night. They not only waited for us, but actually aided us in fixing each problem...thanks to their help, we were able to pass inspection (we were the last Curie team to do so) at 12:45pm, exactly 15 minutes before our (and the division's) first match at 1:00pm.
http://frc3941.com

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2007
mwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond reputemwibbels has a reputation beyond repute

For us one of the most unselfish and gracious acts was Team Mean Machine (2471) coming to our pit to warn us to watch out for the ultra hard balls that were being placed onto the Newton field - then letting us try to adjust our shooter using their sample ball - even though their alliance faced us in the first elimination round. Very classy guys!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this post:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=60

Lucien from Team 118 went out of his way to move as many people to safety during the tornado. I thank him for having the courage, forethought to put an evacuation plan in place.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by twetherbee View Post
A number of people from Team 525, The SWARTDOGS, (along with our alliance partners, The Pink Team) helped us fix our ball collector mechansim after they inadvertantly broke it in a collision at the very end of Curie QF3-2.

Thanks again, guys.
Reminds me of an incident involving Paul Copioli in 2007 during the Galileo eliminations.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57073
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Andrew Lawrence

During the season this year, we focused so much on our robot that we forgot to make bumpers (or bumper mounts, for that matter)!

Luckily for us, when we got to the Silicon Valley Regional, a girl from 3256 happily came over and helped us put them together, and helped us find a way to mount them to our frame.

3256 is always a great team to be with, and deserve WAY more credit than they receive (they also build a good robot, too. )
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:32 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

This is back the day after Kickoff. In the L.A. area, two kitbot build days are scheduled, and this was the first one. One of the rookie teams (3934, to be exact) showed up without a kitbot, but with tools and manpower. It turned out that they'd built theirs the day before, and had come to help out. They got to work making electronics mounting boards, going on runs to the hardware store (having proper hardware makes mounting stuff so much easier for some reason) and generally helping get the kitbots up and running.

By the end of the day, every rookie that showed up had a drivable robot. (Save for one that couldn't stay the whole time.) It would have taken quite a bit longer than it did if 3934 hadn't showed up ready to help. That's a rookie team that gets it.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:20 AM
FRC #1918 (NC GEARS)

Rookie Year: 2010
GBK is a name known to allGBK is a name known to allGBK is a name known to allGBK is a name known to allGBK is a name known to allGBK is a name known to all

One of our students dropped an envelope with over $100.00 in it when paying for something in a concession line. He did not notice it missing until sometime later. He ended up going to the Lost and Found and someone had turned it. Not too many places you can go and have someone turn in that kind of cash to Lost and Found.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks go out to:

Control System Advisors! We interacted with about 6 of them, plus FTAs, over the course of the event-- all of them very invested in helping us fix our controls problems and excited to develop and share their knowledge.

The Spare Parts volunteers for allowing us to play out the classic Ship of Theseus puzzle-- after replacing almost every controls component one by one, were we still working with the same robot? They were very gracious and accomodating, even when they had to gently remind us to return everything we borrowed.

Eric VanWyk for coming to our pit to investigate a PDB issue, but staying to share a number of details about the development, features, and failure modes of the board.

Our pit neighbors 3530 and 4372, both Canadian, and both excellent examples of gracious professionalism.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
AKA: Stephen Kalogiannis
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
who716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond reputewho716 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know what team it was but i was cutting a peice of Aluminum at championships and was on the corner of the table and was having some trouble holding it so a member from another team came and let me use a cutting bench wich was very helpful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: