OCCRA
Go to Post That's is why I raised this question, becuase I do not know all the facts (I doubt anyone does). - Ken Leung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did You Catch 'Em Being Good?!

I am happy that many of you have stated the inspection staff was very helpful. That is what we attempt to achieve. I can only hope everyone had the same experience. I am thankful everyday that I had so many helpful people get us through the inspection of the 402 robots in just over nine hours. Only one team did not make their first match and that was strictly the team's decision to not finish inspection in time. All fields had almost 50% of their divisions re-inspected by the time alliance selections had been completed. Thank you to the teams that helped us by coming in early for re-inspection.
www.wildstang.org
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Because we're FiNE
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute
I've got 2 from this season that immediately come to mind.

Story 1: So we were very fortunate this season to be invited by 195 and 228 to practice on their full sized field with our practice robot. Our Drive Team was down there practicing, however the DT was pushing the robot to its limit, and we were not getting quite the performance we had hoped for.

One of those nights, Dave and the crew over on 228 made a couple suggestions and slight modifications that could really help improve our performance. He helped us out making them, and we instantly saw much better performance out of our robot. If it wasn't for 228's help, I am certain our achievement of Regional Finalist would not have been possible, and we're very grateful to them.

Story 2: Both for the 2011 and 2012 season, my team (1071) has been helping and assisting 3461 with different things, mainly helping them with programming, although we also had them use our build space on certain days and did some practicing with them. To us this was no big deal, as we've done it in the past, and we love working with these guys.

Well it's Thursday morning of CTR. I'm helping get things set up in the pits an stands, running around crazy like always. Billy from 3461 comes up to me and he says he wants me and my Captain to stop by their pit sometime that morning, and that they have something to show us. We head over and there in their pit is this beautiful custom made trophy thanking us for helping them out. It was a truly touching and gracious move by 3461. Even though we made it to Finalist that weekend, to me that is my favorite and most important trophy our team has ever received.

Here's a picture of the trophy:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335965107.486290.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	12712

Last edited by dag0620 : 05-02-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling, Grammar, etc.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Mentor
AKA: Carol Willing
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
willingc is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Did You Catch 'Em Being Good?!

Valuable information shared by those at NEMO group meeting and parent meeting.

I enjoyed meeting and listening to the stories that so many young people had about their FIRST season. In particular, I enjoyed a young man from a Delphi sponsored FRC team describe to me in detail an iPad app that he developed for scouting. Very slick and a humble, pleasant young inventor.

An FTC team from Iowa spent about 20 minutes describing for me their robot and the objective of their game. Passionate and so willing to share their experience.

The kindness and gracious professionalism displayed by so, so many people. Their willingness to help and share made me so proud of this generation of students and their mentors.

The commitment to "give back" that was the theme of many speeches and demonstrated by teams over and over again.

Mark Leon's blue haired passion for math. His willingness to interact with and inspire students is wonderful. Mark, "2102 We love you!"

Thank you to Dean Kamen, Woodie Flowers, and the many, many folks that make FIRST one of the best things in STEM education.
"Has any one seen my box?"
"Try. Fail. Learn. Repeat often."
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
dricks
AKA: David Ricks
FRC #0704 (SGP Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
dricks has a spectacular aura aboutdricks has a spectacular aura aboutdricks has a spectacular aura about

My son was a finalist for the Dean's List. Our team was not able to attend the World Championship. We had helped team 4206, the Nolan Vikes, this year and I was pleased to see that they showed up for the Dean's List Ceremony. My son was selected as one of the 10 new members of the Dean's List. Team 4206 cheered very loudly for him. The Members of 4206 that were not on the drive team stuck around and waited through all the photo ops and talking to VIPs to personnally congragulate my son. This was a very special thing to my son and I. Team 4206 deffinately knows what it means to be part of the FIRST Family. Team 704 looks forward to playing with them again next year.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricks View Post
My son was a finalist for the Dean's List. Our team was not able to attend the World Championship. We had helped team 4206, the Nolan Vikes, this year and I was pleased to see that they showed up for the Dean's List Ceremony. My son was selected as one of the 10 new members of the Dean's List. Team 4206 cheered very loudly for him. The Members of 4206 that were not on the drive team stuck around and waited through all the photo ops and talking to VIPs to personnally congragulate my son. This was a very special thing to my son and I. Team 4206 deffinately knows what it means to be part of the FIRST Family. Team 704 looks forward to playing with them again next year.
Team 4206 is awesome. Very friendly, and anxious to learn group of kids.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

kevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to behold

The teams at championship never cease to amaze me. A few shout outs to some special teams that deserve recognition:

The HOT Team: I went by their pit soon after I arrived on Wednesday and they immediately greeted me. Later on, when they had more time, they were very eager to explain aspects of their robot. Their machine this year was amazing, and HOT always wows me with their clever, out of the box designing. From the side hanging gas spring hanger in 2010 to this harvester, HOT designs have taken on a distinct image and are very effective. Stay HOT, my friends

Rush: After 971 had trouble for the end of qualifications-we were dead in the last 2.5 matches-they picked us from the 8th spot when we doubted that we were going to be playing in the afternoon. We were glad we had the opportunity to play with you guys in elims and in that first match. If only out robot problems had gone differently, that first match would have been more exciting.

The Cheesy Poofs: The Poofs have helped us multiple times over the past few years, and their support has been instrumental to our rise as a team. Championship 2012 was no different. The 254 student programmer was helping us in our pit when we found we had been picked by Rush, scheduled to play the Poofs in the quarterfinals. The gracious professionalism exhibited by 254 leaves no doubt as to why they are in the Hall of Fame.

Simbotics: The team that I probably look up to the most in FRC. When I came by, the students were all knowledgeable about the robot, and eager to share despite being busy. You guys definitely deserved the CCA, it was a long time coming. Coming by your pit helped me and I'm sure several others realize why 1114 is so good. Every year, I pay special attention to the machine the St. Catherine's team has produced. 1114 is the definition of inspiring, and their team model is one that I admire immensely.

Killer Bees: The enthusiasm on your team was amazing. I was very impressed with how your team clustered around the pit excitedly as if it were a "hive". 33 was very eager to share their design with me and I have to say I got some ideas for coming years. 33 was one of the pits that I specifically brought a new member to go see. Much the same as 1114, you not only have great robots, but also great people.

D'Penguineers: I saw the offensive onslaught 1717 brought on at CVR, and it was definitely more exciting in person. Then, being able to talk to you at CVR and Champs was an inspiring and enlightening experience. Your robot this year was so well built and well driven. Thank you for being so open and informative about your design.

High Rollers: Team 987 was right next to us in the Curie Division pits and I finally met you guys and saw your team in action. Your Einstein appearance was very well deserved. 987 is a class act, and our team was honored to work next to 987. We can only hope to play with you in some event in the future.

Thanks to all of those who took an interest in our robot and stopped by our pit. Even though most of the time our crew was emotionally down with the frequency of robot failures, the folks coming around and asking questions were a bright spot in our day. We feel that we built a solid robot this year, and it was awesome to share it with so many great young minds.

There were many other amazing and inspiring teams and individuals at St. Louis who deserve a mention. These are the ones that come to mind right now that I had a personal interaction with. If I remember more, I can give more shout outs. These teams I definitely caught being good.

Thanks to the folks who made champs such a memorable experience.

-Kevin
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Will MC/GA for food
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

2056, OP Robotics:
Wow did I spend a lot of time in your pit. I questioned you about almost every aspect of your robot, and still am left in awe about it. Your drive team, in their down time, was crazy helpful and explained every little detail and fired off answers almost as fast as your robot shot this year. When I first learned of your robot was in 2010 when you had that nifty hanging mechanism. Then this year I had the chance to interact with your team. Especially in answering "How would you do better if you could do it all over." You gave it serious thought and answered it whole heartedly. Your team, and students, are inspiring.

(If you've been following my posts, yeah, you could say I'm a little in love with 2056. Lookin' for a tshirt to trade by mail, or even a button by mail if you happen to have some lying around.)
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FTC Referee (2017-Present)
FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016-17) | FRC A/V (2017) | FRC Robot Inspector (2018)
VEX MC (2017-Present)
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM
botgirl
AKA: Kelli
FRC #1802 (Stealth)

Rookie Year: 2005
treffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud of

I wish I could remember their team number or where exactly their pit was so I could find the pit number BUT on Saturday while everyone was packing up their crates I put out a call through pit admin that I was in need of a cart. (My team was not competing but we had loaned 5 batteries to MisCar and we did not want to hand carry them back to the hotel. We learned our lesson getting them over there) We thought no one was going to loan us one due to everyone packing up but out of no where when my other mentor went back to the hotel to get us a way to carry them, a single team member showed up and had me follow him back to his pit so we could borrow a cart. It was so nice that a team took the time out of packing up their pit to allow a non-competing team the use of their cart. A big thanks goes out to this team!

Alumna of FRC Team 1802
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

budzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

That's just how we roll at "The Mean Machine". Last year we were beaten by our own mini-bot in a Qual. round in Seattle.

It was great having your wonderful team just down the row from us.

Yeah!!! PNW is the bestest! Well... we're working on it. :-)

Bud Hayes Mentor 2471 The Mean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwibbels View Post
For us one of the most unselfish and gracious acts was Team Mean Machine (2471) coming to our pit to warn us to watch out for the ultra hard balls that were being placed onto the Newton field - then letting us try to adjust our shooter using their sample ball - even though their alliance faced us in the first elimination round. Very classy guys!
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
1540 Co-Captain
AKA: Tucker
FRC #1540 (Flaming Chickens)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
Yankeefan181 is a jewel in the roughYankeefan181 is a jewel in the roughYankeefan181 is a jewel in the rough

I know this could be controversial, but I actually thought all the paper airplanes were an awesome sight. Everyone was bored out of their minds waiting for Einstein, and seeing them I think brightened everyone's days. I especially loved the few times when one would make it really far, and the whole stadium would erupt.
Drive Coach
Manager: Competitive Analysis
Co-Manager: Mechanical Engineering
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Paul Johnson from 1429 helped our team immensely not once but twice. Before our 1st competition we needed to find an extra solenoid valve for our pneumatics setup. Not only did he invite me over to his shop to see if I could find what I needed, he practically forced me to take 3 of them instead of the one we needed so we could have spares. Than at Lone Star we were looking for a certain cylinder and there was no way we could overnight it and get it before Saturday. He went back to Kaos's shop, found what we needed and got it to us Friday morning before the pits opened.

Thanks again Paul,
Allen

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Driver Coach
FRC #0987 (HIGHROLLERS)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Marc987 will become famous soon enoughMarc987 will become famous soon enough

On Einstein we broke our bridge manipulator. Shaun from 25, along with the mentors from 16 and 180 tried to use their timeout for us, as we could not get it fixed in the short period of time we had. I know they wanted everyone at 100% for the finals. Not sure if I got a chance to say it in person, but congrats on your championship!
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan181 View Post
I know this could be controversial, but I actually thought all the paper airplanes were an awesome sight. Everyone was bored out of their minds waiting for Einstein, and seeing them I think brightened everyone's days. I especially loved the few times when one would make it really far, and the whole stadium would erupt.
We'll leave the controversial aspects to the other threads and not worry about it here... this one is for celebration.

A flaming chicken would love a paper airplane. It stands to reason.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 05-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
3574 Alumni-Wiring & Awards Mentor
AKA: Karina Adame
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
moonlight will become famous soon enoughmoonlight will become famous soon enough

~Josue Flores from the mexican team 4262 came to the practice field looking for me. He explained to me that all the Mexican teams were getting together to cheer for one another during their matches and he wanted our match schedule to cheer for us too. He said that our team had made them feel welcomed at the Seattle Regional and that they wanted to do the same thing for us in St. Louis. I explained to him that we were on a different divicion, but i guess it didn't matter. A couple of times when i was on the field, i looked up to find my team and 4262 was there as well cheering for us along with other team members from different mexican teams <3 it was amazing!
2011 Rookie Highest Seed-Seattle casacade Regional
2012 Engineering Inspiration Award-Seattle Olympic Regional
2012 Proud Team of Jacob Ebey, Dean's List Finalist Seattle Olympic Regioal
2013 Engineering Inspiration Award- Portland Autodek Regional
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
FIRST's Official Cuddler
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2011
LemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud of

Mrs.Frick and Mr.West, who left Championships to pick up medicine for two of our team members caught an awful chest cold.

FIRST alumni in college: "I miss my team/robots/tools."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: