OCCRA
Go to Post You can't stop trying to look for other ways to do things, or that really defeats the whole purpose of inovation. - AmoryG [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM
FRC #2175 (The Fighting Calculators)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
walterminehart is an unknown quantity at this point
Dual speed four CIM or single speed six mini CIM Drivetrain

Dual speed 4 CIM drivetrain or single speed 6 mini CIM drivetrain? Which would you run? Why? Experience with each? Other considerations?

I recognize that one is not objectively better than the other, and that all drive trains are game dependent. I also know that there are other options that exist.

Walter
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM
AKA: Cooper Cash
FRC #4587 (Jersey Voltage)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
Cash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond reputeCash4587 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual speed four CIM or single speed six mini CIM Drivetrain

Mini CIM always. We will never use CIM motors on our robot ever again. Mini CIM motors are specifically designed for FRC use and are a superior motor.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 06:27 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterminehart View Post
Dual speed 4 CIM drivetrain or single speed 6 mini CIM drivetrain? Which would you run? Why? Experience with each? Other considerations?

I recognize that one is not objectively better than the other, and that all drive trains are game dependent. I also know that there are other options that exist.
I would go with 6 MiniCIMs over 4 CIMs in any skid steer set-up. Reason: same peak power, more heat capacity and brush surface, therefore the MiniCIMs will heat up more slowly, maintaining peak power longer. Motor power falls off rapidly as the windings heat up, and windings get hot much faster than magnets and cases do.

Depending on the game and driver experience, I might pick a two speed set up over a single speed.

Also, the 6 motor set up costs more and uses two additional power circuits.

Since you already know about other options, I won't mention 775s.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 10:00 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

I think the additional motor controllers, wiring, and weight mean that I personally prefer the 4CIM setup. That being said, the primary drawback of using the 4CIM arrangement is that you cut out a lot of space in the middle of the robot, so it often means that you need to either split the electronics board in half or make a board thatís smaller or differently located.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
AKA: Eric Tate
FRC #2386 (Trojans)

Rookie Year: 2008
MrT8 is an unknown quantity at this point

We managed to get around the "interior space robbing" issue with this geabox concept. It started as a two-CIM design that we morphed into a three-miniCIM design the following year.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45777
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:50 PM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
I think the additional motor controllers, wiring, and weight mean that I personally prefer the 4CIM setup. That being said, the primary drawback of using the 4CIM arrangement is that you cut out a lot of space in the middle of the robot, so it often means that you need to either split the electronics board in half or make a board thatís smaller or differently located.
I wouldn't say that's the primary drawback of a 4 CIM setup vs 6 mini CIMs. If it were just an issue of packaging, more top teams would find a way to keep using 4 CIMs.

I'm also in the camp of 6 mini-CIMs based on some of the test data discussed last offseason and comments from other teams on the benefits of such a setup. It seems to handle the rigors of a 2 minute match better.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with most that packaging is not the reason to select one over the other, unless you have some stringent robot requirements. 6 minis will spread the heat load out when things are working properly, and give you 67% vs 50% power if you lose a motor, and that's even ignoring the bearing vs bushing and other improvements made to the miniCim relative to the CIM.

The reason we continue to use 4 CIMs vs 6 minis is simple: $$. We don't have particularly deep pockets, we're heavily invested in 2 motor COTS gearboxes, and we're still building up our inventory of SRX and SPX controllers to levels where we could consider 6 motor drivetrains and have enough left to develop manipulators.

Edit: I missed dual speed originally, and don't see that anyone addressed it. Why would this be one or the other? Going to single speed 3 mini-CIM is a very straightforward, low-impact change yielding a definite but relatively minor effect. Going to dual speed is more complex in terms of mechanical systems, controls/programming, and driving, but with a potentially more significant impact on robot performance, especially for robots which are near the weight limits which have trouble accelerating on a gearbox optimized for relatively high speed. If you somehow evaluate the cost of doing these two things as being equal, I would have to recommend the shifting gearbox, especially if you can make a shifting gearbox pre-season and give your mechanical team time to learn about it, your programmers time make it work, and give your driver(s) practice time on your system.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 08-13-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: