OCCRA
Go to Post I am a FIRST addict. But I'm also sensible. - Rion Atkinson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Marcus Osborn
FRC #2537
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
SpaceBiz has a spectacular aura aboutSpaceBiz has a spectacular aura about
Are Steampunk Goggles Safe?

So when the teaser was released, and I saw the kids in the teaser wearing Steampunk Goggles. One of the FIRST things I did was google to see how much it would cost to buy some Steampunk goggles for use in the competitions this year. But then I wondered if FIRST would consider them safe enough?

So at first they do seem inherently safer than just regular safety glasses or possibly even some safety goggles, but I see a two potential problems with maybe 20% of people in the pits wearing these to fit this year's theme.

1) The lack of peripheral visibility

FIRST doesn't have a problem with mascots walking around the pits (to the best of my knowledge), but a larger quantity of people actually working on mechanical stuff wearing these could be a safety hazard. I am pretty there will be a large enough loss in visibility that I won't have our drive team wear them.

2) Tint in the lenses of the goggles

I think FIRST has some oficial rules on this, but I am not sure they are really enforced to a full extent due to a lack of prevalence. This is again in theory another visibility problem now potentially on a larger scale than before.

For the record, I personally think they are safe enough, in all forms, but hoped CD and maybe FIRST can clear up how we should approach these goggles before I have the business team look at buying a lot of 80 for the competitions.

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM
2079 + 246 = ALARMClocked
AKA: Nathan Shepherd
FRC #0246 (Overclocked) & #2079 (4H ALARM Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
NShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are Steampunk Goggles Safe?

I don't know if this is exactly what you'd be looking for, but last year I wore a pair of normal safety goggles that were painted gold with metal pieces epoxied all around it. Everyone loved them at competition, and we're probably gonna make more.

FLL:
2011, 2013

FRC:
2015 - 2017 : #2079 4H ALARM Robotics (student)
2018 - present : #246 Overclocked (mentor), #2079 4H ALARM Robotics (affiliate),

Boston University Class of 2021
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM
FRC #2265 (Fe Maidens)
Team Role: CAD

Ngang is an unknown quantity at this point

I had steampunk goggles last year and I asked the pit organizers that exact question. The answer, unsurprisingly is that these types of goggles aren't safe.

They cited what you've said to the tee: the lack of peripheral vision and also a rule that required your eyes to be visible to others (no tint).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:10 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team

Rookie Year: 2016
ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

The tint could have a meaning...maybe something will be bright? As for actual event use, no peripheral vision could be an issue, and the tint could limit visibility. If they would comply with the minimum rating FIRST requires, they might be legal. There are steampunk welding goggles, but IDK how much projectile protection they offer. There are clear ones here, but I don't think they're safety goggles.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:13 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not unless you can find some that someone bothered to rate as Z87.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, while they may or may not be legal as safety glasses, Steampunk goggles are perfectly legal as forehead protectors.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:28 PM
AKA: Alex
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

orangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud oforangelight has much to be proud of

Had a friend wear them a the championship once, he was asked to take them off multiple times

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

While it may be fine and dandy that the glasses seem safe enough, the admin manual explicitly states on page 5 of section 4:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 4.2.1
ANSI-approved, UL-listed, or CSA rated safety glasses required for eye protection

Studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology
FTC/FTC Field Reset, FTC FTAA

Join the FRC Discord!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 10:55 PM
LRI PNW District
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

Any safety glasses have to meet the ANSI Z87.1 standards and be UL listed and or CSA rated.
This would include any Steam Punk goggles if you are using them in the proscribed areas.

They do make Steam punk goggles that meet these standards. Here is an example of ANSI rated Steam Punk goggles (according to the website)

http://www.pro-steampunk.com/_p/prd3...ggles-%23bb-57

The safety manual states:

Wear ANSI-approved, UL Listed, or CSA rated non-shaded safety glasses. Lightly tinted Yellow, Rose, Blue, and Amber tints are FIRST approved. Reflective lenses are prohibited,
your eyes must be clearly visible to others. The use of anything other than ANSI-approved, UL-Listed, or CSA rated eye protection is prohibited.

What it means by your eyes must be clearly visible to others is open to interpretation. By their very nature, side shields (which are required) limit the visibility of your eyes to others. In fact any kind of safety glasses limit this.

This should be brought up when the new rules come out. Does visible mean from the front? I think this will be a problem considering the Steam Punk theme.... better ask Frank
and the GDC after the rules come out.

Last edited by Bob Steele : 09-20-2016 at 11:00 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2016, 11:37 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

You want to be looking for oxy-acetylene welding goggles. Most of them have a shade lens and a clear lens, you can remove the shade lens or get one like shown above that flips out of the way. The ones above are ANSI approved.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.

Last edited by RoboChair : 09-20-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: big pic
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
no team (British Columbia FRC teams)

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

Steampunk goggles are perfectly safe for well over 50% of the floor space of an event.

Pits and playing field, perhaps not... but everywhere else, enjoy dressing up. https://learn.adafruit.com/steam-punk-goggles/overview

Jason
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2016, 10:43 AM
AKA: Alicia
FRC #0342 (The Burning Magnetos)
Team Role: Student

littlemissLish is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBiz View Post
So at first they do seem inherently safer than just regular safety glasses or possibly even some safety goggles, but I see a two potential problems with maybe 20% of people in the pits wearing these to fit this year's theme.
The lack of peripheral visibility
Tint in the lenses of the goggles
Thanks!
I have the same feeling about people Wearing them as safety glasses/ goggles. As safety captain i feel that they would hurt more than help. The lack of visibility in the pits could be dangerous. My team is not wearing them as glasses/ goggles but as decoration on top of heads/ hats. that way they can still dress the theme and still be safe. I would also like to note that teams sometimes allow their students to wear tinted glasses or goggles, which also hinders visibility. I feel that the Safety Advisers should get onto them about it. but that is just me.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
One Eyed Man
no team (RoboBees)

Rookie Year: 2010
adciv is a name known to alladciv is a name known to alladciv is a name known to alladciv is a name known to alladciv is a name known to alladciv is a name known to all

Typically when assessing something new I stay with the question "is it worse than the existing". Steam punk founta do limit peripheral but no more than most safety glasses and no more than what my parents have who wear glasses.

That said, I don't think the steam punk glasses linked to before meet the requirements of rule z87. I think any glasses actually had to have been tested /accredited by those groups. As much as I wish it otherwise, I don't see that steam punk site having met that.

I plan on trying to get the question asked of the gdc.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:04 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe these would be allowed, they are ANSI approved. They appear to have two lenses, an approved clear cover lens, and an approved shaded lens (which is way too dark for anything but oxy-acetylene weding, although too light for electric arc welding).

https://www.forneyind.com/store/deta...round_shade_5/

they are not "steampunk", since being "steampunk" requires adding a bunch of random junk to something.

But they might be the look you're after, in a way that you can actually use at a competition.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:46 PM
FRC #3688 (Suttons Bay Norsemen Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
chapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond reputechapman1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told once by the pit safety glasses police - when I wore my reflective lens safety goggles to an event - that protective lenses must allow other folks to see your eyes. Though I was at first put off by this "rule", upon reflection (no pun intended), I saw that it makes good sense.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: