OCCRA
Go to Post why would someone do that? Go on the internet and tell lies? - MaGiC_PiKaChU [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST @ SXSW -- "ATTRACTING GEN Z TO YOUR BRAND THROUGH NPOS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
I'm more depressed that this is what SXSW has become.

Of course the companies that sponsor FIRST and FIRST teams see this as an investment. I don't think FIRST or anyone has ever been coy about that. Not sure what about this is any more egregious that the countless corporate sponsors who have been given a microphone at FIRST events to pitch their companies to the student's in attendance.
For me, the meaningful difference has always been that I've presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was FIRST's corporate sponsors who were performing the calculus that determined how many eyeballs would see their logos and how many ears would hear their corporate VPs speak; not that it was FIRST itself suggesting that its non-profit status made it a more effective avenue for advertising dollars than others.

FIRST should be selling its mission. If a potential sponsor wants to learn about reach -- about how many students, parents, volunteers, companies, etc. are involved in FIRST programs day to day -- that's a reasonable question to ask and I wouldn't object to FIRST sharing that information. If, with that, the potential sponsor decides that a contribution is a worthwhile investment solely on the basis of its ROI as an advertising spend, that's disappointing but reasonable. They don't have to believe in the mission, frankly.

But when it's FIRST itself that doesn't seem to care about the mission -- and I think saying "people trust us and your brand can leverage that trust" demonstrates clearly that they don't -- it seems to me that the organization is now morally bankrupt.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.

Last edited by Madison : 08-22-2018 at 06:40 PM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
For me, the meaningful difference has always been that I've presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was FIRST's corporate sponsors who were performing the calculus that determined how many eyeballs would see their logos and how many ears would hear their corporate VPs speak; not that it was FIRST itself suggesting that its non-profit status made it a more effective avenue for advertising dollars than others.

FIRST should be selling its mission. If a potential sponsor wants to learn about reach -- about how many students, parents, volunteers, companies, etc. are involved in FIRST programs day to day -- that's a reasonable question to ask and I wouldn't object to FIRST sharing that information. If, with that, the potential sponsor decides that a contribution is a worthwhile investment solely on the basis of its ROI as an advertising spend, that's disappointing but reasonable. They don't have to believe in the mission, frankly.

But when it's FIRST itself that doesn't seem to care about the mission -- and I think saying "people trust us and your brand can leverage that trust" demonstrates clearly that they don't -- it seems to me that the organization is now morally bankrupt.
What about this makes you think that FIRST doesn't care about their core mission?
What is mutually exclusive about FIRST stressing to sponsors that they can get something out of their relationship with FIRST and FIRST caring about changing the culture?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Tim Sharp
FRC #3959 (Morgan County Mech Tech)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
Tim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant futureTim Sharp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Poor example? FB started with ads for revenue and now is purging "fake news" and groups that they feel abuse their terms.
I was making the point that "selling eyeballs" is not a new business model. Nothing more.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What about this makes you think that FIRST doesn't care about their core mission?
What is mutually exclusive about FIRST stressing to sponsors that they can get something out of their relationship with FIRST and FIRST caring about changing the culture?
I think someone who cares about their mission solicits support on the strength of that mission. They say, "We're trying to change the world for the better. Here's why. You should help us because it's the right thing to do." They might even say, "Your support would raise your standing among some people." The focus remains on the mission.

This panel -- and what FIRST is seemingly doing here -- is not that. Instead, it says to for-profit corporations, "Did you know that aligning yourself with non-profits can leverage the trusting relationship they have with their supporters to increase brand awareness and bolster your position in the marketplace?" The focus is not on the non-profit's mission, but on using the good will they've developed as a result of that mission to raise a brand's esteem among a set of people. It's cynical at best and, I think, a pretty significant abuse of that trust.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
I think someone who cares about their mission solicits support on the strength of that mission. They say, "We're trying to change the world for the better. Here's why. You should help us because it's the right thing to do." They might even say, "Your support would raise your standing among some people." The focus remains on the mission.

This panel -- and what FIRST is seemingly doing here -- is not that. Instead, it says to for-profit corporations, "Did you know that aligning yourself with non-profits can leverage the trusting relationship they have with their supporters to increase brand awareness and bolster your position in the marketplace?" The focus is not on the non-profit's mission, but on using the good will they've developed as a result of that mission to raise a brand's esteem among a set of people. It's cynical at best and, I think, a pretty significant abuse of that trust.
So you think that caring about your mission means you cannot employ any other tactics to elicit support for your organization? It means you cannot speak to multiple different audiences to stress how your organization can build a mutually beneficial relationship with that audience?
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Quote:
So you think that caring about your mission means you cannot employ any other tactics to elicit support for your organization? It means you cannot speak to multiple different audiences to stress how your organization can build a mutually beneficial relationship with that audience?
I suppose I do. I think if you accept money from someone by selling them on advertising demographics, you're on the hook to deliver on those demographics. I think if you sell someone on the good of your mission, you are on the hook to fulfill your mission. For as long as fulfilling your mission delivers on the advertising promise, you're fine. If they don't, you're failing to meet your obligation to someone somewhere and that's a pretty dangerous position for a non-profit to find itself in.

In the end, I feel very strongly that the ends don't justify the means. In fact, I almost think that how and why we do things matters far more than what we do. So this may just be something that you and I don't agree on. That's okay; FIRST really made me rethink *my* support today. That won't be true of everyone, but that doesn't make me wrong, either.

...down at the Ozdust!

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Offseason Event Extender
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

looks like don is getting creative to find a way to pay for 3champs
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Breathe in... Breathe out...
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2002
Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think if you accept money from someone by selling them on advertising demographics, you're on the hook to deliver on those demographics. I think if you sell someone on the good of your mission, you are on the hook to fulfill your mission.
Very well put. Your posts helped clarify my thoughts on this topic. Thank you.

-Mike

#24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM
FRC #4451 (Rat Rod Robotics)

D.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond reputeD.Allred has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to check the link again, but it appears to be taken off line.

David
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 12:34 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Allred View Post

David
Click image for larger version

Name:	SXSW_PanelPicker.png
Views:	148
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	23515

I guess that video wasn't MFD after all...
Clarke's Laws
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm sorry to those who disagree, but I think this might be a little naive. As someone who runs an all-girls team, I would absolutely love to sell my team to sponsors only on the promise of fulfilling our team's mission, but many times I accept that colleges, companies, and other organizations sponsor us simply so they can mention us in their PR and marketing campaigns because we are an all girls team and they want to show their company supports that kind of work in the community in their recruitment materials.

This isn't totally altruistic...but how much of anything in this world is? Just because I sell a company on the fact that we are an all girls team doesn't mean they also don't support us for our mission to empower and educate young women.

I'm surprised myself, but I find myself agreeing with Sean here.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Allred View Post

David
The link to the SXSW panel description still works as of this morning. The tweet itself, which I quoted but didn't link, has since been deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Attachment 23515

I guess that video wasn't MFD after all...
I didn't watch it when it was available, but it's splash screen seemed to indicate it was titled, "Yeah $***". I am not sure what its content was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
I'm sorry to those who disagree, but I think this might be a little naive. As someone who runs an all-girls team, I would absolutely love to sell my team to sponsors only on the promise of fulfilling our team's mission, but many times I accept that colleges, companies, and other organizations sponsor us simply so they can mention us in their PR and marketing campaigns because we are an all girls team and they want to show their company supports that kind of work in the community in their recruitment materials.

This isn't totally altruistic...but how much of anything in this world is? Just because I sell a company on the fact that we are an all girls team doesn't mean they also don't support us for our mission to empower and educate young women.

I'm surprised myself, but I find myself agreeing with Sean here.
In my mind, if I donated money to your team because you sold me on the value of supporting an all-girl team and then failed to deliver on that promise -- by admitting boys onto the team, for example -- I think it would be fair to feel as if I'd been misled or used. You probably feel confident that you won't need to admit boys -- and so the risk vs. the reward is a worthwhile gamble for you. I don't. And I think that's okay.

...down at the Ozdust!

#28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

*I only felt moved to post this because I enjoy how well reasoned and civil people can be around here. Some of the time, at least.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: