OCCRA
Go to Post I would have bought a bigger box of popcorn and sat up higher in the stands. In the middle. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 02:42 PM
AKA: Tom Cooper
#1227 (Techno Gremlins)
Team Role: Mentor

Biff is a jewel in the roughBiff is a jewel in the roughBiff is a jewel in the roughBiff is a jewel in the rough
Re: You know you've been in the shop too long this weekend if:

-When you notice that with the welder and the kiln (which is heating the garage when it's 2 degrees outside) are pulling 75 amps at 240v and hope you can get some freelance work to pay the electric bill.
-When one of the cat's gets into the garage and rolls in the dust and aluminum shavings, and you pick him up and tell him he's a good kitty.
-When the weight spread sheet shows that you are going to make weight with all options installed and you refuse to believe it.
-When after the bot is shipped, you come up with a backup motor plan and order the gearbox's to implement that plan.
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:03 PM
FRC #0931

RebelWithARobot is a name known to allRebelWithARobot is a name known to allRebelWithARobot is a name known to allRebelWithARobot is a name known to allRebelWithARobot is a name known to allRebelWithARobot is a name known to all

This is my new ink. Another mentor and I got this on Saturday before the ship-date.
I hope the judges understand my team spirit!

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/at...tid=4022&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigma.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	4022  
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Now a CSWA
AKA: Cristian Arcega
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
dude__hi is an unknown quantity at this point

When you clean the build room and you find long lost junk that you believe will make the next robot a champion...

...ohh and you find clumps of fiberglass dust that are 4 inches talls

2008 FIRST Chairman's Award Winner
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Run Away!!!!
AKA: Michael
FRC #1086 (Pirates of The Black Pearl)

Rookie Year: 2004
mtbkr5 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbkr5 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to mtbkr5

when Papa Johns knows your order cold...never happened but im shocked it didnt!!!!
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
A Pirate's Life For Me...
AKA: Christina
FRC #0467 (Duct Tape Bandits)

Rookie Year: 2005
angelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to angelc24

...when your little brother forgets what you look like
...when you haven't seen your dad in 4 days
...when you have a conversation with a non-robotics friend who is also sleep deprived and you understand what they are trying to say, and it seems perfectly normal.
...when going to bed before midnight seems abnormal.

"Whether a bot is made of new parts, old parts or spare parts, you can shine no matter what you're made of"
2005 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2006 Xerox Creativity Award
2006 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2007 Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
2008 Judges' Award
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Once an engineer-always an engineer
AKA: Kevin Killian
FRC #1676 (Pascack PIoneers)
Team Role: Coach

PiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to behold

When non-robotics students leave school, come back to watch a basketball game, leave again, then drive by in the wee hours and to stop in to say "you mean you guys never left since 3:00?"

When you fall asleep while sitting on the floor next to the bot waiting for the electrical team to re-wire a Victor, and you don't realize you're asleep until the team mom wakes you up by calling your cell phone (Saturday afternoon).

When you leave at 11:00 pm and you feel guilty for stopping work "so early."

When the students express a deep desire to sleep overnight in the school.

When playing a game of double-entendre with the robot's "working name" reaches it's 153rd consecutive verse and every one of them gets a laugh.

When the janitors' looks have changed from interested, past annoyed, to sympathetic.

When every single person on the team thinks that "Whizzenator" is a great name for the ball feed mechanism.
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2006, 06:46 PM
None #1155 (Sciborgs)
Team Role: Leadership

Simon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant futureSimon Strauss has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Simon Strauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty

your parents are becoming increasingly suspicious that you've been sneaking off to drink (drinks that you really aren't allowed to drink by law) because of the sheer amount of time you spend out of the house. you think i'm kidding.
thats why my mom decided to become team mom this year, to make sure that my case of memory loss, aluminum lung and insane amounts of time spent out of the house were truly due to robotics and not other things.

when your school safty officer stops you in the hall (while your skipping class to work on the robot) thinking that youre hungover, then remembers that your on the robotics team and are in fact just sleep deprived and begins to tell you his ideas of how we can improve the bot and how hes willing to help

New Jersey Regional Finalists thanks to teams 359 and 486 Aloha

"Beware of the Ska Robot Army!" -The Aquabats
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
AKA: Mike
FRC #1279 (Cold Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

NeedMoreEngines has a spectacular aura aboutNeedMoreEngines has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to NeedMoreEngines

You get pissed off at unimportant things...like the floor.

The bottom of the Shop-Vac has become the #1 place to look for lost nuts, bolts, washers, Sharpies, etc... 90% of the time, it's in there.

You realize that the Koi pond outside is frozen over...and there are still fish in it.

Absolutely no cutting, drilling, milling, or grinding can begin for the day until the kid with the Metallica CD arrives.

You have every Chuck Norris fact committed to memory.

Singing "Afternoon Delight" makes everything A-Okay.

You put in a Metallica CD and then drill something, just to see what it feels like.

Build sessions often begin with the phrase "Alright...Begin the unnecessary harcore rock music!"

The good thing about the YMCA is if you can spell, you can dance.

Proud Eagle Scout
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Lead Mentor, Lead Robot Inspector
FRC #0980 (ThunderBots)

David Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Brinza has a reputation beyond repute

when it takes you two days after shipping to figure out how many hours you were in the shop between Friday and Tuesday. (>80 in my case )...
2003 AZ: SF, Motorola Quality; SoCal: QF, Xerox Creativity; IRI: QF || 2004 AZ: SF, GM Design; SoCal: Winners, Controls; Champs: Galileo #2 seed, QF; IRI: Champions
2005 AZ: #1 Seed, Xerox Creativity; SoCal: Finals, Controls; SVR: Winners, "Driving Tomorrow's Technologies"; Champs: Archimedes SF; IRI: Finals
2007 LA: Finals; San Diego: QF; CalGames: Finals || 2008 San Diego: QF; LA: Winners; CalGames: Finals || 2009 LA: SF; Las Vegas: QF; IRI: #1 Seed, Finals
2010 AZ: Motorola Quality; LA: Finals || 2011 SD: QF; LA: QF || 2013 LA: Xerox Creativity, WFFA, Dean's List Finals || 2014 IE: QF, LA: Finals, Dean's List Finalist
2016 Ventura: QF, WFFA, Eng Inspiration || 2017 Central Valley: Dean's List Finalist; LA: SF, Entrepreneuer || 2018 LA: Chairman's, WFFA, Finals
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be contrary, I wasn't at the shop at all during the last weekend before shipping. I did talk to the student lead programmer on the phone Sunday afternoon as I drove back from Baltimore to Indiana, but except for those few minutes I had put robotics out of my mind almost completely.

Even so, I didn't miss out on the fun of spending entirely too much time on a project and getting entirely too much sleep. I left home in the dark hours of Friday morning, drove more than six hundred miles to meet with a group of people at a science fiction convention, got maybe twelve hours of sleep over three days, ending by driving another six hundred miles to get back home before midnight Sunday night. During the weekend I gave suggestions to someone translating Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, helped sell copies of The Klingon Hamlet and back issues of HolQeD, played my first game of Klin Zha in over three years, finished a draft translation of The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas (to be included in a collection of Hugo-award-winning works published within the next year), watched people playing odd variants on poker, enjoyed a game of 'oH SoH ("You're it!"), came dangerously close to buying a DVD of the Star Wars Holiday Special, and made way too many polylinguistic puns.

Enthusiastic sleep deprivation does not need to involve building robots.

(Of course, I then spent about twenty hours on Monday and Tuesday programming the robot before shipping it.)
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Currently foraging for food..
AKA: Doug
no team

i_am_Doug has a spectacular aura abouti_am_Doug has a spectacular aura abouti_am_Doug has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to i_am_Doug Send a message via MSN to i_am_Doug Send a message via Yahoo to i_am_Doug

Well,

When your all strung out looking for a ballpean hammer<-happend to me last year
When you start hearing songs comeout of the grinder<-also happend to me last year
When your over 2000 miles from your team for a year, and you miss the smell of hot metal in the mornin', noon, and night.
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
A member of many teams...
AKA: Katie Hall
FRC #0537
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
hallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to hallk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Kowski
You know you've been in the shop too long this weekend if:

You think the platform makes an incredibly comfortable bed
And the bummers make a nice pillow.
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
FRC #1511

Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

-If you are Ashley and you somehow know all the tools names...
-If you cant distinguish your right from left
-If your shop looks like a tornado hit but you are able to find everything you are looking for in the matter of seconds
-When you go home all you make is robot connections.... "Hey, thats like [team]"
-When you break down crying because of lack of sleep.
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Alumni
AKA: Phil
FRC #0527 (red dragons)

[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light[527]phil is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to [527]phil

-When you start reenacting movies such as spaceballs, monty python, and anchorman

-When sitting is a privilege, not a right

-When finding a stool is harder then finding something to eat

-When you can operate the band saw while sleeping

-when noone shaves, and noone cares about it

-when you whistle a song while walking into the shop, and then when you walk out at least 3 other people are whistling the same song, and don't know why.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets

Last edited by [527]phil : 02-24-2006 at 12:10 PM.
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Co-Captain
AKA: Adam Garcia
FRC #0114 (Eagle Strike)
Team Role: Student

114gopher will become famous soon enough114gopher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 114gopher

...when you walk outside and ask "Where'd the sun go?"
...when you walk to the car and there is ice on the windshield because it's 3:30am.
...when the phrase "I'm going to visit the yeti" becomes the most hilarious thing ever. (we called the bathroom we were using the yeti because of the horrendous noise the fan made)
...when you start inventing robotics country songs
...when you decide to write a robotics song "Solder like it's hot"
...when you start giggling over every dumb thing
...when you decide that it would be hilarious to make a tshirt that said "program reset", so when the programmer asks you to hit program reset, you can actually hit someone
...when the thing you are most grateful for is food and caffeine brought in by parents
...when the robot has inexplicably moved, and you don't know why until a team member informs you that you were asleep

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: