OCCRA
Go to Post Sure, whining is easier than working, but what's more rewarding? - PayneTrain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2016, 12:33 AM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Phone Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleySWS View Post
But nobody actually asked for your life story on how important you are? (It comes off sounding like bragging)
No but I responded to this:
"Seems like a pretty bad system if it relies on one person to have cellular connectivity. Seems that having multiple folks with that responsibility would be better if it really is as important as you claim."

Which directly challenges the value of my work and the safety of some very important systems and was a rather specific misreading of information I provided. So is the point that targeting a particular user in this way is okay? Was the goal to suggest that this company's security was poor, cause it seems that way. People don't pay for ISO27001 security certifications to prove they maintain their security so that they can have their integrity questioned publicly in this manner for at best spurious reasons. If you know of a specific security threat, not just silly accusations, report them responsibly.

If Andrew had an issue with this he could have discussed it in private with me then and there.
Anyway, done with this for the night. I defended the people for which I have done work as most of you would understandably have defended: your team, school, or your employers.
If Dean was talking in a forum about his great charity or accomplishments would you all think it wise to go at him like this?

Last edited by techhelpbb : 11-03-2016 at 01:02 AM.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2016, 01:10 AM
2017 World Champions
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)

Rookie Year: 2010
Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

After numerous reported posts, I'm closing this thread until 12:00 AM Friday November 4th to give everyone some time to cool down for a while.

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER, 2015 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2016 Mt. Olive MAR District, 2016 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2017 Daly Subdivision, 2017 St. Louis World Championship, 2017 MidKnight Mayhem, 2017 Festival of Champions

2017 Season Recap Video
Festival of Champions Recap Video

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2016, 11:57 PM
2017 World Champions
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)

Rookie Year: 2010
Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

As promised, this thread has been reopened. However, I would like to remind everyone of this thread's original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbotsgirl View Post
Hi All!

I am a new mentor and actually one of the 2 directors of FRC 1646 Precision Guessworks. I love my students and they're awesome and are already most of the way done with Chairman's and a robot rebuild. They recently had a lock in and it was a great experience for team building and productivity. During this lock in, we took their phones and they didn't have them until their parents got them. They were extremely productive and now that they've been meeting since their lock in, they're still productive, but I noticed that they use their phones while working which I can't help but think slows them down a bit. I know they don't have their phones during school, so I really don't want to be that mentor, but at the same time I'm just wondering what other teams have in place for this kind of thing.

Thanks!
As well as the Chief Delphi forum rules:

Quote:
ChiefDelphi.com reserves the right to remove a post which does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, ChiefDelphi reserves the right to reorganize discussion forums in order to best serve the majority of our members. (ie: topics may, at a moderators discretion, be relocated to a more appropriate discussion forum, or deleted entirely). This also applies to any media uploaded via CD-Media, items in CD-Swap, or any other content on ChiefDelphi.com

ChiefDelphi also reserves the right to prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law, are NOT robotics related, or that may be harmful to other members. Please remember, you are representing not only yourself, but your team and its sponsors, as well as what FIRST stands for. Please try to practice gracious professionalism at all times.
Now let's get back on topic.

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER, 2015 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2016 Mt. Olive MAR District, 2016 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2017 Daly Subdivision, 2017 St. Louis World Championship, 2017 MidKnight Mayhem, 2017 Festival of Champions

2017 Season Recap Video
Festival of Champions Recap Video

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube

Last edited by Hallry : 11-03-2016 at 11:59 PM.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 12:37 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that my team has a specific device policy, per se, but if you're at the shop you're generally expected to be working except during break times. "Working" has a fairly loose definition, mind you--schoolwork, real work (for mentors), and robotics work all count to some degree.

I can see where a total ban would be implausible, and I can see where "anything goes" is inadvisable. Probably the best policy, as noted, is that you not use the phone when you're working (unless your work is being done on the phone)--and, if you need to use the phone, you stop working (unless the work is on the phone) long enough to take care of what you need to take care of.

Honestly, if I'm using my phone during a meeting, it's generally because something that I actually need to know about or deal with has come up. (Unlike most people, I do not have a smartphone--means I only get the important stuff.) Laptop, I'm probably looking at something team-related, or it's available to look something up for someone.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Purdue University
AKA: Spencer Tickman
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
tickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience taking a phone away from a kid whose not interested isn't going to make them start working. There is no cell phone service inside our build space but the when the students don't want to work they always find ways to entertain themselves.

I do not view phone use(for not productive things)as a problem but rather a side effect of having unengaged students. Engaging those students is the way to increase productivity, not simply taking away their phones.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't take away phones. Nor would I recommend it*.
However.
I can see the psychological reason for doing so. It sends the subliminal message that important work is to be done here, and distractions should be avoided.

*just because I don't recommend something, does not mean I disagree with it.
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 06:17 PM
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2013
arpita is an unknown quantity at this point

Our cell phone rules are fairly lenient, and we haven't had many issues with them.

1. No cell phones before 4pm where a teacher can see you (school rule).
2. No cell phones or technology when we're having team meetings (pre-meetings, post-meetings, post-meal meetings, etc) where we're talking about everything and give announcements.

2017 NYC Finalists + Entrepreneurship Award
2017 South Florida Chairman's Award
2016 Curie Sub-Divisional Winners
2016 South Florida Entrepreneurship Award
2016 NYC Winners + EI
2015 NYC Finalists + GP
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 08:08 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
remulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud ofremulasce has much to be proud of

Having apparently come from the last generation of FIRSTers that didn't have smartphones in high school (am I old now?), I can tell you for a fact that students don't need smartphones in order to unproductively entertain themselves in a robotics lab.

FRC Volunteer: 2017-
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by remulasce View Post
Having apparently come from the last generation of FIRSTers that didn't have smartphones in high school (am I old now?), I can tell you for a fact that students don't need smartphones in order to unproductively entertain themselves in a robotics lab.
Having come from a generation where I remember the first time I saw color TV, and half a decade later a tiny red LED, I confess that I can unproductively entertain myself with nothing but a blank stare for quite a few minutes. With a steady supply of license plate numbers to factor or a pad of paper and a pen to take up my latest mathematical obsession, I can go on for hours.

Still, that's no reason to ignore the primary ways students have to waste time, and try to reduce them. I described our policy earlier (no earbuds; phones encouraged but not required to go in your goggle pocket; phones to be used only for task, family, and "emergency" purposes during build times - techhelpbb's concerns would definitely have fallen within this last group). For our longer (Saturday) sessions, we do not attempt to limit phone usage during breaks (including meal breaks). Very few of our members actually put their cell phones in the goggle pockets; mostly those who need this as a way to resist the temptation to be called away from the build by their phones.

And, as a flip side to techelpbb, I have NEVER been allowed to take a cell phone into my (US NAVY) office space. Until about two years ago, I had to leave it in my car (could not bring it in the BUILDING at all - no way, no how). About two years ago, my office got some lock boxes for cell phones, but they require that they be turned off if in the boxes; I have opted to leave my cell phone ON in my car rather than OFF in cell phone jail. I'm giving this info as a "calibration" of how cell phone use is proscribed in certain jobs at least.....

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2016, 01:09 AM
FRC #1690

sam1690orbit is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm a student in orbit1690 and we don't really have a policy about phones but people are'nt on their phones,if it's family members we answer but for friends or while working we don't use
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRotolo View Post
I'm from a generation before cellphones. Most students are not using their phones for team tasks, but for ***book, whatevergram, texting and such: This is how the millennial generation communicates with each other.

We mustn't take away this essential (for them) thing, but do them a service by teaching them responsible use. They inherently understand there's a time & place, but it needs to be said that FRC time is not one of those places, with valid exceptions.

Multitasking is a myth.
I agree with DonRotolo's post apart from being multitasking being a myth. Multitasking is fancy word for 'distracted'.
"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hedgehog View Post
I agree with DonRotolo's post apart from being multitasking being a myth. Multitasking is fancy word for 'distracted'.
I disagree.

As a professional myself it is entirely possible .

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Master of Tactics
AKA: Scott Hasek
FRC #1987

New Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to behold

First off I do in fact know that multitasking is not a myth, I'm doing it right now! Second of all, out shop is practically a concrete bunker that has 0 cell services and only one or two spots where you might be able to get data, if your lucky.

But I think that if the student wants to check social media or text a friend that, as long as it doesn't significantly impact their productivity then why not let them use their phones. Students already give so much of their time to robotics that they should have some freedom and allowances to help alleviate boredom on burnout. I could state emphatically that without some kind of mindless release, with which social media provides, I would not enjoy robotics as much as I do, and that would in turn have a negative impact on both me and our team's students.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: