Go to Post Everyone needs to please stop now before Karthik starts singing. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 02:24 PM
FRC #4232

AvKauf is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions about code and Pneumatic

The first question is how is an easy way to find the code that is sent to the RoboRio because our team has several things of code for the same robot and don't know which one I need to fix.

The second question is our pneumatics were operating very strange. When one button on our controller was pressed multiple different pneumatics were firing (is this something in the code). I disconnected all of the pneumatic that we were no longer using but the one piston that we have set up now moves back and forth about an inch or two when the button is pressed and will work properly after pressing the button multiple times.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Facing build season withdrawal
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of
Re: Questions about code and Pneumatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvKauf View Post
The first question is how is an easy way to find the code that is sent to the RoboRio because our team has several things of code for the same robot and don't know which one I need to fix.

The second question is our pneumatics were operating very strange. When one button on our controller was pressed multiple different pneumatics were firing (is this something in the code). I disconnected all of the pneumatic that we were no longer using but the one piston that we have set up now moves back and forth about an inch or two when the button is pressed and will work properly after pressing the button multiple times.
I will leave the question about the code on the Roborio to the programming experts here.

On the pneumatics firing all at once there are two possibilities.
1. Multiple cylinders are "wired" together to the same solenoid
2. It's a code problem

Cylinder not moving completely until the button is pressed multiple times:
It is probably due to a lack of pressure. This could be from either not waiting long enough for the compressor to build up pressure (or a bad compressor) or there being a small leak in the system. Another possibility, if you are using a spring-loaded cylinder or a spring-loaded (single) solenoid, is that it is either not set up correctly or not programmed correctly.

For that last problem it would be helpful to everyone on here if you let us know what type of solenoid and what type of cylinder you are using. You could even post code for others to inspect. Good luck, and I hope you get this working soon.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 03:23 PM
FRC #4232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomithy View Post
I will leave the question about the code on the Roborio to the programming experts here.

On the pneumatics firing all at once there are two possibilities.
1. Multiple cylinders are "wired" together to the same solenoid
2. It's a code problem

Cylinder not moving completely until the button is pressed multiple times:
It is probably due to a lack of pressure. This could be from either not waiting long enough for the compressor to build up pressure (or a bad compressor) or there being a small leak in the system. Another possibility, if you are using a spring-loaded cylinder or a spring-loaded (single) solenoid, is that it is either not set up correctly or not programmed correctly.

For that last problem it would be helpful to everyone on here if you let us know what type of solenoid and what type of cylinder you are using. You could even post code for others to inspect. Good luck, and I hope you get this working soon.
I know that it is not an issue of not having enough pressure because that was the first thing I checked when I came across this issue. Also, I checked and neither the cylinder or the solenoid are spring-loaded.

Here is the solenoid and piston we are using. http://www.andymark.com/CKD-4GA120-M...-p/am-2343.htm
http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2034.htm
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Kotlin Master Race
FRC #5190 (Green Hope Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
Prateek M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What do you mean by "things of code"?

If you mean multiple programs for the same robot, you could add a print statement on robotInit() with the name / some unique identifier of the program.

If this isn't what you meant, please clarify.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm making an educated guess as to what "things of code" are:

In eclipse, right click on each project and close every one of them. Close every file open in the editor. Then, right click on the single project you want to work on, open it, open Robot.java, and run Deploy. The code on the robot will be only the code from the sole open project.

A further explanation as to some terminology that might help:

--> Each session of Eclipse opens a single "Workspace". Each workspace contains many "Projects"

--> In the left-hand side of the default Eclipse view, there is a thing called the "Project Explorer". This lists out all "Projects" in the present eclipse workspace.

--> Each Project consists of the set of .java or .c/.cpp/.h "source code" files defining the code for your robot, along with other files which define how the code is to be built and deployed.

--> Each source code file contain things like "classes", "functions", "methods", or "variables" which define the operation of the robot.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Facing build season withdrawal
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know that it is not an issue of not having enough pressure because that was the first thing I checked when I came across this issue. Also, I checked and neither the cylinder or the solenoid are spring-loaded.

Here is the solenoid and piston we are using. http://www.andymark.com/CKD-4GA120-M...-p/am-2343.htm
http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2034.htm
Looks like everything checks out mechanically; the problem's probably in the code.
Wild guess is it has something to do with the fact that in the code you might have the pressed button set to one state of the cylinder and the unpressed button set to the other, meaning whenever the button is not depressed, the cylinder will try to return to its original state. If the code has it where only the pressing of the button changes state, (press once to go out then again to return) then it should work. Another, easier option is to have 2 buttons controlling the solenoid, one for forward and one for reverse.
Again, all speculation.

If that doesn't work, then you might want to supply the code for others in this thread who know programming better than me.

Best of luck.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2018, 08:17 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see a mention of the language, but in LabVIEW it is easy enough to be using the same subVI multiple times in code, for example code to detect button pressed for extending and retracting pneumatic. If the subVI behaves as one instance, any of the buttons would trigger all the pneumatics connected to that subVI. In the sub VI properties you can make the sub VI reentrant so that each time it is used in a VI, multiple instances are generated which don't interact.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM
FRC #4232

Thank you for all of the input I think I understand what to do now when I have access to the robot later in the week.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2018, 04:15 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What do you mean when you say you disconnected all of the pneumatics that you are no longer using? Did you cap all the unused ports on your solenoid manifold? Each solenoid will go to one end of its travel or the other even when you are not powering it which will connect the air pressure source to either the A or B outlets on the block. If these are not connected to a cylinder or capped, then you will be bleeding air out of those open ports.

It sounds like you have already confirmed you are holding pressure. Did you check the pressure while you are trying to move the one cylinders that you still have connected?

If all of that checks out, then I agree, it is probably code.

If you have done this correctly, then

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: