OCCRA
Go to Post You are done with designing something, not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to remove. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Randy will become famous soon enough
Re: Sponsored web hosting for FIRST teams

Due to the increased demand, domain registration or transfer will now be required for all teams. There is a $15/year charge associated with this.

If a team's web site is currently hosted by Sevaa, you will be required to transfer your domain to Sevaa. Any domains not transfered by June 1, 2006 will be terminated. Please direct any questions or comments to rkent@sevaa.com

Best Regards,
-Randy
  • Video Hosting
Email promo@sevaa.com or click here for details.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-23-2006, 03:20 AM
FRC #0568 (The Nerds of The North)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Nick 568 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nick 568 Send a message via MSN to Nick 568 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick 568

Team 568 will likely look to sevaa for hosting of our website.
This is my first year on team 568, and second year in FRC (I was on team 1885 previously) and we have our website done for the most part, and are just looking for hosting...

Randy, is there any limitation to the plan we can pick? personal, business, advanced? Also, I likely will not be the one registering the account, our mentor will be the one doing it, so let me know if you need me to PM you with his name or anything.

And, if we go with sevaa/circuitrunners, you can be sure we'll mention you in the website at the very least!

Since this is my first post on the forums, I'll take the time to introduce myself a bit.

I am on Team 568, the nerds of the north, in Anchorage, Alaska. This year is my first year on Team 568, and we are participating in the FIRST Fuel Cell Challenge, and will be attending the Silicon Valley regional. Team 568 is located at Dimond High School, (yes, "dimond" is spelled correctly, lol) but I do not attend Dimond, but commute in from another school in the area. We are currently sponsoring a FLL team at Chugiak elementary.
Before Team 568, I was on Team 1885, Battlefield Robotics in Haymarket, Virginia. Last year was our rookie year, and we attended the Richmond regional, the Palmetto regional, and the Championship event, and took the Rookie All-Star award at all three events. Our robot like never ever worked, so naturally, we did horrible at the championship, lol.
But, I had such a GREAT time and experience with FIRST, that when I found out I was moving to Alaska, (dad is military) I immediately hit up the FIRST website to see if there were any FIRST teams in the area. Luckily, I found one not too far away, team 568.
I did not work on the website on team 1885, but decided to take the opportunity to head up the web design for team 568. Since I have no html or programming experience, I decided to use a site builder program to get the website made.

Last edited by Nick 568 : 11-23-2006 at 03:33 AM.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Back in the Game
AKA: Ed Venator
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
FourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud of

I need to talk to the powers that be, but I suspect that team 11 will sign up soon. Our freebie (grr, Mr. DiCicco. Why?) host recently gave up PHP support, so our website, though already pathetic, is now pathetic and crippled. We need a new host before we can get the new page up and running. I have little doubt that you'll hear from us soon, assuming leadership decides to go for it.
-2007 New York Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
-2008 New Jersey Regional Finalist, Chesapeake Regional Winner, Championship Event Overall Top Seed
HB 2399
-2009 Buckeye Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, Pittsburgh Regional GM Industrial Design Award
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-23-2006, 12:12 PM
no team

Hey guys,

Thanks for your interest in our offer, we're glad to help wherever we can!

Nick-
We don't limit your accounts; unless, in the rare case, your site is very resource intensive. Considering we don't limit SOAP, I doubt you're site will be an issue.

I'd reccommend going with the advanced plan.

Ed-
We'd be glad to have you!

Also guys, remember to choose the option to have us register the domain for you, or transfer the domain. This will ensure your invoice is properly created. One last note ... don't forget the coupon code chiefdelphi. If it's not there, the credit card you provide will be charged the full amount.

This year looks like it will be a great year for FIRST and I look forward to putting faces to the names in Atlanta.

-Randy
  • Video Hosting
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 01:45 PM
3..2..1..Power...Up?
AKA: Angry Eric
no team (Volunteer!)
Team Role: Mascot

esquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond repute

Does Sevaa's free FIRST hosting allow shell access through SSH (or telnet I guess...cleartext passwords FTL)? There's an asterisk or two saying "Additional requirements apply".

*nix server? IIS server?

If some flavor of Unix, crontab entries allowed for automated backups/scripting? Similar type of support/functionality under IIS? Something more sophisticated than "ZIP/RAR/TARBZIP2 ALL FILEZ INTO ONE GIANT BLOB" would be ideal

CVS or SVN support for code management?

Does 20GB storage still count as "don't limit your accounts"? 50GB? 500GB? Video and photos can add up incredibly quick (Doug Hitchcock would love to store video clips somewhere other than his hard drive or a truckload of DVD's I'll bet)

Given that this is shared hosting, how bad would the free servers loading be? I've experienced other hosts who allow huge BW/month numbers but response time and actual transfer speeds make it laughable to imagine ever being able to hit the cap.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth (outdated idioms yay!), but I'm comparing this to another free hosting package and would like to make an informed decision.

All in all, companies like Sevaa who give back to the community should be applauded for their service. Unfortunately there is no "clapping smiley" or I'd give you one here

-Eric
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:12 PM
no team

That was a long post ... so here are the abridged replies
*We require a copy of a government issued ID for shell access (SSH)
*The servers used for FIRST are all RHEL running the Ensim control panel which has its own backup capabilities cofigurable via a GUI
*CVS/SVN - implemented it in the past. You will be charged to use it
*SOAP is currently using 21GB.
*Load isn't an issue

We are really here to try to help out the smaller teams that are running on a really small budget. If you have all of this video footage, chances are, you can afford to pay for the hosting of it. Feel free to email me at rkent@sevaa.com to work out a more managed plan.

Please do not feel obligated to go with us.
  • Video Hosting
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:45 PM
3..2..1..Power...Up?
AKA: Angry Eric
no team (Volunteer!)
Team Role: Mascot

esquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond reputeesquared has a reputation beyond repute

The things we'd LIKE to do with our hosting are always more than what we can AFFORD to do with our hosting. Hence the long post about things we'd like to be able to do

The job of a FIRST mentor is to provide students the opportunity to learn about technology and engineering. I'm trying to choose a host with minimal costs and maximum capabilities to teach students as many things as possible. The goal isn't just to get the best deal possible and hand it to the students, but to ensure that they understand the decision making process. This way they're equipped to make the same sort of decisions when in a few years THEIR boss asks them to find a provider
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
FRC #1255 (Blarglefish)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
ThomasP is just really niceThomasP is just really niceThomasP is just really niceThomasP is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ThomasP

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquared View Post
The things we'd LIKE to do with our hosting are always more than what we can AFFORD to do with our hosting. Hence the long post about things we'd like to be able to do

The job of a FIRST mentor is to provide students the opportunity to learn about technology and engineering. I'm trying to choose a host with minimal costs and maximum capabilities to teach students as many things as possible. The goal isn't just to get the best deal possible and hand it to the students, but to ensure that they understand the decision making process. This way they're equipped to make the same sort of decisions when in a few years THEIR boss asks them to find a provider
If you're looking for something where you have enough access to teach the students various things, send me an email thomasp@blarglefish.com. I have a VPS that has more diskspace/bandwidth than my team needs. You'd have the ability to run whatever you need and as far as diskspace is concerned, I could probably give you 1gb to start, if you need more we could work something out.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2007, 04:03 PM
no team

Hey Everyone,

It has come to our attention that the "chiefdelphi" promo/coupon code had expired ... so ... We just extended the date and everything should be back to normal.

If you were one of the half dozen that did get charged, no worries, you'll be refunded the difference when your account is setup.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!

Best regards,
-Randy
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
FRC #1594

Rhia is an unknown quantity at this point

select 2checkout as payment processor? where?

i dont know if im just not seeing it, or the site's been changed in some way, but after entering the promo code and going to calculate total, the package fee still shows up, not just the domain fee... has anyone successfully registered since the code was renewed?

~Rhia
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
no team

Hello,

We have changed billing systems since the initial directions were drafted.

Please place your order directly via the link below using the coupon code chiefdelphi

https://my.sevaa.com/order/orderwiz.php

Thank you,
-Randy
  • Video Hosting
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: