Go to Post Blue shirts are ALWAYS watching. And they have spies everywhere. Always be on your best behavior, and be polite to every volunteer at the event. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Standing on the sidelines....
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Team 148 - 2011 - Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I've never learned much about arms and I don't understand the advantage or disadvantage of either system, other than CG placement.
When we did it in 2007, it was specifically for CG purposes. I did not want to mount a gearbox near the top of the arm. I also did not want to run chain from the gear box to a sprocket at the top of the arm.

There is also a design elegance to doing something different than running chain.

I can tell you there are advantages and disadvantages to it. CG is probably the biggest advantage...other than 4 bar linkages are always cooler. In my mind the biggest disadvantage is the amount of packaging room required to allow the push link and connecting link to swing in the bottom of the robot.

In 2008 we wanted to use a double 4 bar, but could not get it to package... so we mounted a sprocket to the arm and ran a long strand of chain.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)

In full disclosure I am VP of Product Development for VEX Robotics, a division of Innovation First International.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
I would imagine their goal is to keep making cool, great performing stuff, while never having to do repair or maintenance.
If they don't have to repair or maintain the robot, they can spend their time and talent improving it. I like that idea.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
If they don't have to repair or maintain the robot, they can spend their time and talent improving it. I like that idea.
While true, when at the actual competitions, 148 can be found spending their time helping other teams. That's another way of spending their time and talent, improving.

It's going to be fun seeing the looks on a lot of rookies' faces when they see Raptor and 148 in action for the very first time.They'll wonder just what this FRC thing is all about and they'll want to learn more.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
Those of us who never saw 67's linkage are left to ponder the way the 148 linkage works. Is it like the locomotive linkages on old-school trains?
I just put up a blog post highlighting how the linkage works:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2011/02/insid...hip-joint.html

-John
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post

-John
Very cool. Thanks for explaining.

What's driving the hip joint on your robot?

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:

-John
If you can't appreciate cool mechanisms like this, you probably can't appreciate anything!!

I especially like the use of sheet metal for everything, including the stacked plates to create the gear teeth on the smaller arm driven by the gearbox.

Thanks for sharing JVN.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
2015 South Florida Regional Chairman's Award, NU District Winners, NEDCMP Industrial Design Award, Hopper Division Finalists, Hopper/Newton Gracious Professionalism Award
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Very cool. Thanks for explaining.

What's driving the hip joint on your robot?
The shoulder joint is driven by (1) Banebots 775 motor, and (12) bands of surgical tubing.
You can see the 775 in this pic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rFQ0CRqTKR...0/IMG_8024.JPG

-John
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The shoulder joint is driven by (1) Banebots 775 motor, and (12) bands of surgical tubing.
You can see the 775 in this pic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rFQ0CRqTKR...0/IMG_8024.JPG

-John
You guys obviously rivet a lot, I assume you have a pneumatic rivet gun.

Any recommendations on one that is pretty reliable?

-Brando

2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
2015 South Florida Regional Chairman's Award, NU District Winners, NEDCMP Industrial Design Award, Hopper Division Finalists, Hopper/Newton Gracious Professionalism Award
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
You guys obviously rivet a lot, I assume you have a pneumatic rivet gun.

Any recommendations on one that is pretty reliable?

-Brando
We buy the crappy ones from Harbor Freight -- they last about a season before they break. We replace them every year. Students are hard on riveters.

-John
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM
FRC Team 691 Alumni and Mentor
AKA: Garret Smalley
FTC #8496 (Heat it Up and Keep it Cool Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Garret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond reputeGarret has a reputation beyond repute

This robot is amazing.

I would think that the double fourbar linkage would actually simplify the arm's joint design (at least in my mind it seems so much easier to deal with weight and taking loads) in that you would have to worry less about powering the pivoting point (gearboxes and chain) and instead focus on the making the actual joint stronger and more stable. I also could see it as isolating the motors and gearboxes from the abuse (as in side loads) the arm could take in a match, which I see as beneficial seeing how much defense this robot will likely have to put up with. Those are some of many potential benefits that I thought of when I first saw it.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach

Quote:
Yes, we are proud of some of the more subtle features inside Raptor. I know there are some that most people totally ignore that will be impressive to a mechanical designer with a good eye...

-John
After receiving a number of requests in response to this post, I decided to highlight some of the subtle parts of this year's design on my blog as part of an "Inside Raptor" series.

Here is a glimpse at one of the SIMPLE subtle features that I think makes Raptor special... press-on CIM pinions:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2011/02/insid...ion-gears.html

-John
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Says Memorable Things
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #5895 (Peddie Robotics & FRC 708 Hatters Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:

Here is a glimpse at one of the SIMPLE subtle features that I think makes Raptor special... press-on CIM pinions:

-John
Wow, that's a really good idea. I can't tell from the picture, but does the pinion have the Key Shape cut into it, or do you just rely on the press fit to transfer the torque?
Current - Technical Mentor, FRC 5895, FRC 708
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. The press on pinions are very elegant. Did you guys do any slip calcs or tests?
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
After receiving a number of requests in response to this post, I decided to highlight some of the subtle parts of this year's design on my blog as part of an "Inside Raptor" series.

-John
Hell. Yeah.

Awesome idea Greg. Kudos to team 20 for producing the parts.

-Brando

#90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

That's a cool idea! I wish we had the resources to try cool things like that.

What's the easiest way for Low Resource Team to get press on CIM pinions?
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners

Last edited by Chris is me : 02-24-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: