OCCRA
Go to Post I am sorry if something was missed at your regional, it will be checked at this event. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
2018 Lessons Learned - The Negative

What could FIRST stand to improve on?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
FRC #5421 (Birch Bots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Zack-5421 has a spectacular aura aboutZack-5421 has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2018 Lessons Learned - The Negative

TOO LONG OF WAITS FOR EINSTEIN FINALS MATCHES.

Terrible Camera Angles at Houston

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
FRC #6329 (The Bucks' Wrath)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2017
jboynton6329 is a name known to alljboynton6329 is a name known to alljboynton6329 is a name known to alljboynton6329 is a name known to alljboynton6329 is a name known to alljboynton6329 is a name known to all

I personally was not a fan of time based scoring. While it created some interesting things strategically, matches were usually decided long before the end. Close matches often looked like an absolute blow out on the scoreboard and it got rid of most of the end game drama.
2017 NE DCMP - Highest Rookie Seed Award & 7th Seed Alliance Captain (Quarterfinalist)
2017 Carson - Quarterfinalist
2018 WPI - Excellence in Engineering Award
2018 Pine Tree - Second Overall Selection and Finalist
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM
AKA: Curt Rozeboom
FRC #5010 (Tiger Dynasty)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
BlueEpiphone is an unknown quantity at this point

My initial read of the rules, which I was quickly disabused of, was that all three of the force and boost power ups could be played throughout the match, presumably in order from 1 to 3, rather than just one of each. That would have made them much more useful and changed the potential for comebacks.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 08:05 AM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud of

Just focusing on the game, I think it was a good first try at time-based scoring. However, I think it snowballed too hard at higher levels of play.

Once you lost control of the Scale, it was harder for you to score cubes on it. So not only are you taking longer to score, but you're losing points as this is going on.

As you're trying to reclaim the Scale, your opponents can then go for your Switch and/or Power Ups. You now have to either continue going for the Scale (still harder for you than your opponents), or try to reclaim your Switch.

For higher levels of play, once you lost control of the Scale you lost. There are a few exemptions, but if you look at all of the Einstein matches this is the case.

Another issue is that there are no last-second scores for the win. If you claim the Scale in the last 10 seconds (when you were down all match), it doesn't really matter. Even if you get 3 climbs and your opponents get 0, if they had the Scale the whole match you still lost.

Even with those negatives I think Power Up! was still a better game than Steamworks. I think time-based scoring can be great in the future, as long as there's another equal or higher scoring option.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 08:15 AM
AKA: Charlie Lockyer
FRC #4505 (McDonogh Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
C4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud of

FIRST pretended that everyone at Detroit didn't see Houston's announcement and literally just replayed it at Detroit.

The views I express in my posts almost never represent the views of my team.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 10:34 AM
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)

Rookie Year: 2012
Drakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond reputeDrakxii has a reputation beyond repute

The round robin before Einstein is still dumb. (Should be 2 pools of 3 for qts, then semi finals and finals)

Minute Maid is still awful.

The repeated stuff during Detroit Einstein.

Pantherbots Former Mentor, Distance Support - #2582 Lufkin, TX
Iron Patriots Software, Electronics and Pneumatic Mentor - #4131 Renton, WA
The Robot Inspector with the Red Beard
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 11:30 AM
AKA: Chris
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
leafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the rough

While I really enjoyed this game, I was let down by the competitiveness of the Einstein in general. I had been telling myself all season "just wait for Einstein, the matches will be back and forth and exciting." It seemed the inherent snowball effect of the game did not go away at the highest levels of play which was a bit disappointing. Looking forward to Chezy Champs and IRI to see if competitiveness increases to what I envisioned...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

The extra RPs were too partner dependent. In the past you've been able to get 1 extra RP by yourself and 1 with your alliance. Being reliant for both this year caused tons of unneeded stress. Its unhealthy to feel like you've lost a match because you only got 3 ranking points.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 02:08 AM
The Arizona Mentor
AKA: Andrew
FRC #2662 (RoboKrew)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Donut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond reputeDonut has a reputation beyond repute

Launching rules.

Please FIRST, just make scoring of more dangerous objects based on floor markings, and consistently measured in all areas. Having some areas be contact while others are bumper based and others still are any part of the robot leads to confusion for both drivers and refs. Putting tape around the switches and changing the launching rule to "Power Cubes must break the plane of the switch/scale/exchange zone prior to launching" would have eliminated almost all the confusion and large penalty assessments for launching.

Otherwise this game is pretty darn good.
FRC Team 2662 (Tolleson, AZ), Lead Mentor: 2014 - Present
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 02:28 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Launching rules.

Please FIRST, just make scoring of more dangerous objects based on floor markings, and consistently measured in all areas. Having some areas be contact while others are bumper based and others still are any part of the robot leads to confusion for both drivers and refs. Putting tape around the switches and changing the launching rule to "Power Cubes must break the plane of the switch/scale/exchange zone prior to launching" would have eliminated almost all the confusion and large penalty assessments for launching.

Otherwise this game is pretty darn good.
Also: Clarify what a "Launch" is. In plain English. Or, if you must, use scientific language like "non-gravitational acceleration relative to the robot". Hey, that actually covers all the stuff in the Manual...

My biggest comment could take many forms, and isn't aimed at all at FIRST (except as a sideline). Earlier versions of this comment took the form of a rant.

This is the first time that I can remember that FIRST changed not one, but two rules/procedures in response to community whining. (And there are other cases out there where there's community whining but nothing is changing at this time.) If I can use the term, there's an awful lot of people out there that seem to be coming across like spoiled children. Incidentally, that doesn't often work in the real world, folks, trust me on this! While I do think that the changes may have needed to have been made, I also think that if people had just knuckled down and dealt with it (lived with it), they would have been better people. And, if they were REALLY smart and documented the pain and suffering, and sent that to FIRST, FIRST would have known in excruciating detail not to make that mistake again. Well, in some cases at least.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 06:53 AM
FRC #2834 (Blackhawks)

Rookie Year: 2010
KelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond reputeKelleyCook has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafy1072 View Post
While I really enjoyed this game, I was let down by the competitiveness of the Einstein in general. I had been telling myself all season "just wait for Einstein, the matches will be back and forth and exciting." It seemed the inherent snowball effect of the game did not go away at the highest levels of play which was a bit disappointing. Looking forward to Chezy Champs and IRI to see if competitiveness increases to what I envisioned...

Go watch the MSC final round (MInstein). All nine matches were great.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Breathe in... Breathe out...
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2002
Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
My biggest comment could take many forms, and isn't aimed at all at FIRST (except as a sideline). Earlier versions of this comment took the form of a rant.

This is the first time that I can remember that FIRST changed not one, but two rules/procedures in response to community whining. (And there are other cases out there where there's community whining but nothing is changing at this time.) If I can use the term, there's an awful lot of people out there that seem to be coming across like spoiled children. Incidentally, that doesn't often work in the real world, folks, trust me on this! While I do think that the changes may have needed to have been made, I also think that if people had just knuckled down and dealt with it (lived with it), they would have been better people. And, if they were REALLY smart and documented the pain and suffering, and sent that to FIRST, FIRST would have known in excruciating detail not to make that mistake again. Well, in some cases at least.
Ah yes, the classic "I don't like the way you made your point so I'll call it "whining", and then proceed to whine about it"

Solid.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM
AKA: Rich Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

Rookie Year: 2013
hardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud of

Not showing the game animation before the final Einstein. Forcing FTC to watch FRC and vice versa is fine, but show the game animation. One of our mentors watched the FTC and said "Wow there was a lot going on, it looked pretty cool but I have no clue what was going on." Not like they didn't have time.

Also, I'd prefer they rearrange Cobo to be like St Louis was laid out and just had Einstein there. They could give us the same layout and it would have been amazing. Instead they turned Cobo into a super regional.

As far as the game goes, I liked it well enough. Fouls seemed way to easy to get this year and sometimes almost unavoidable. Because they were so heavy I know our team in Carson had like 3 or 4 NOT called. We were playing defense and had at least 3 cubes launched into our robot as they tried to score with us in the way. These weren't called. (wouldn't have changed the outcome of the match, these are just an example).

I also did not like that RP was something that required all 3 robots to be present. So if a robot doesn't show up there goes your rank. Just didn't feel fair that RP was based so heavily on something completely uncontrollable. Maybe have a rule that cross RP means that all robots that show up have to cross? Not sure.
Mentor 2959 :: 2013 - 2016
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Passion breeds passion.
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2011
EmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyCook View Post
Go watch the MSC final round (MInstein). All nine matches were great.
This is a recurring theme with a lot of modern games in the Two Champs era. Several District Championships in established Districts (Indiana, MAR, NE, Michigan to name a few) are just more competitive than the Championships at all levels of play.

Let that sink in for a moment. For some teams, the "highest level of play" that we all pay $5,000 for and take numerous days off from work and school to attend, is actually presenting a degradation in team competitiveness, and on top of that, a degradation in event production quality! So, for those teams, why would they want to attend the Championship at all? Why not use that money and time on IRI, or Chezy Champs?

This topic might merit a separate thread. But every year it seems like Champs is a harder sell.

For disclosure, 1058 did not attend champs this year, but not because of these reasons.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: