OCCRA
Go to Post when I was a ball setter at PARC one year (6th grade?). As soon as I saw what High school students could do with thier own two hands and how they mingled with industry, I knew, at that moment, it was for me. - henryBsick [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 05:43 AM
1506 Metal Muscle Electrical Team
AKA: Greg
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2015
Zagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to all
Robot Signal Light

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the RSL. Is it allowable to have an intermediate connection point on the wiring to the RSL? Meaning, can I have something that plugs into the RIO and has a set of screw terminals for connection rather than splicing a 24AWG 2 pin connector to 20AWG to run out to the light?

Thanks
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Robot Signal Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagar View Post
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the RSL. Is it allowable to have an intermediate connection point on the wiring to the RSL? Meaning, can I have something that plugs into the RIO and has a set of screw terminals for connection rather than splicing a 24AWG 2 pin connector to 20AWG to run out to the light?

Thanks
I don’t see why not provided it is a connector only and does not interfere with the electrical signal being sent to the light.

That being said, I believe the port on the RoboRIO is sized for a 3pin .1” PWM connector (though only two of the pins are broken out) and you get a bunch in the kit every year so it makes it a bit easier.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 06:49 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

The manual says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 R71
Any RSL must be:
B. connected to the “RSL” supply terminals on the roboRIO,
It doesn't say "directly connected" or specify how it should be connected, simply "connected". I would interpret that to mean connectors are allowed between the roboRIO and RSL. As always, the final decision is up to your LRI, and rules are subject to change next season.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 06:50 AM
FRC #3244 (Granite City Gearheads)

cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold

I can count 3 connections between our RSL's and Roborio last year.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Robot Mentor
AKA: The Bearded ONe
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

As an RI, I only look to see if your signal light is working. The inspection check list only requires that it be connected to the RSL signal port and work. The field people can disable you if the light stops working.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

We did something similar to this for 2016 STRONGHOLD because we needed to have two RSLs for full visibility.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 05:05 AM
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)

Zagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to all

Thank you all for the replies.

This is as I thought. I didn't think it was an issue, but it was brought up in a discussion, and I wanted to get more opinions. As I read the rules myself, I see no variant of the interpretation as it stands. As long as the light works properly, consistently, securely and follows R71, it's up to you how to wire it.

Thanks!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Greg,
A few things to consider...
1. All electrical connections need to be insulated. That is a little more difficult with screw terminals.
2. A single run of wire has less chance for failure than multiple breaks/connections in the wire. Your mileage may vary.
www.wildstang.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)

Yeah, the screw terminals are insulated and take 26-20AWG, so definitely covered there, and with the screw terminals, I actually feel more confident with what I'm developing than the simple push on connector. Think of the power connector on the RIO, but not the terrible NI version.

Thanks Al,

Greg
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Greg,
The connector on the RoboRio is not an NI product. It however, approved for low voltage apps and the screw heads are recessed to provide some insulation. If your terminals are similar then that should be fine. However, these terminals are listed for specific wire size ranges. Often 14-18 gauge. Smaller wire will tend to pull out. You might try stripping the wire longer than normal, fold the excess back over itself to double or triple the diameter. This method in effect increases the wire size at the terminal and may give you amore reliable connection.
www.wildstang.org
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 06:50 AM
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)

Yeah, I know. The power connector is a Phoenix product, which over my career, I've found to be a necessary evil in the controls world. I much prefer other manufacturer's equipment, but that's me.

And the block I was looking at is a Phoenix, and it's wire range is perfect for this application. Running 20AWG for the RSL is more than will ever be required.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Greg,
The connector on the RoboRio is not an NI product. It however, approved for low voltage apps and the screw heads are recessed to provide some insulation. If your terminals are similar then that should be fine. However, these terminals are listed for specific wire size ranges. Often 14-18 gauge. Smaller wire will tend to pull out. You might try stripping the wire longer than normal, fold the excess back over itself to double or triple the diameter. This method in effect increases the wire size at the terminal and may give you amore reliable connection.
Crimping a ferrule over the folded wire will ensure that it doesn't get squished and become "small" and slip out after the screw on the connector is tightened.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM
FRC #2451 (PWNAGE)

Rookie Year: 2016
David Ellers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagar View Post
Yeah, I know. The power connector is a Phoenix product, which over my career, I've found to be a necessary evil in the controls world. I much prefer other manufacturer's equipment, but that's me.

And the block I was looking at is a Phoenix, and it's wire range is perfect for this application. Running 20AWG for the RSL is more than will ever be required.
The Power Connector supplied on the rRio is not a Phoenix Contact product but rather a Sauro product. We replace the Power Connector with a Phoenix Contact Push-in Spring connector part number 1966091. We also ferrule the wire using a ferrule with a 12mm barrel length.

If you have found a plug connector for the RSI from Phoenix, I would be interested in the part number.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread Yesterday, 06:12 AM
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ellers View Post
The Power Connector supplied on the rRio is not a Phoenix Contact product but rather a Sauro product. We replace the Power Connector with a Phoenix Contact Push-in Spring connector part number 1966091. We also ferrule the wire using a ferrule with a 12mm barrel length.

If you have found a plug connector for the RSI from Phoenix, I would be interested in the part number.
I do, and the next time I'm at the Center, I'll get it for you. I bought 5 or 10 of them, and I'm glad I did.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: