OCCRA
Go to Post What I want is to ultimately make it so that the programming is actually done before the robot is finished. Imagine that! - Danny Diaz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Volunteer / The Blue Alliance
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Silly and ridiculous robot designs.

Ok, so me and another team member thought it'd be nice if we could put a ramp on the bot for some strange reason. He also goes, "Why not put a flame thrower on it?" I said sure, why not add a chainsaw to the back of it! He also puts a Tommy gun on the thing, but I said no, M16, then he says mini chaingun, I said .50 CAL!!!! "YEAHHH!!!!" Uhm, we also figured a giant battle axe would be fitting too. I think we were in BattleBots mode.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:55 AM
1902 UCF Mentor; 1523 MARS Alumni
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Tim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tim Arnold Send a message via MSN to Tim Arnold

One member (before reading the rules) wanted to attach a pinpoint to a stick... in endgame, you could just pop your balls ontop of the overpass; practically impossible to remove!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeXIII'007 View Post
I would like to see someone design and build a robot that can find a particular loophole in the physics of space and time such that it can run a ridiculous number of laps in auton and regular play.
Now you're thinking with portals!
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
Making a wooden trebuchet robot would be pretty cool...
Maybe if we build a giant wooden badger.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best robot is The Magic School Bus. Anyone know a mentor with the last name 'Frizzle'?
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
AKA: Ed
FRC #1361 (the Nightmares)

Rookie Year: 2004
1361ducttape is an unknown quantity at this point

so far this year, the weirdest design we have come up with was using play-doh to stick to the trackball in order to hold it. Our best, though was lastyear when we found in the rules that there was no verticla height limit to the bots, so we were going to attach a hook and winch to the rafters of the arena, and we were going to lift ALL THREE robots on our alliance!
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
AKA: Ed
FRC #1361 (the Nightmares)

Rookie Year: 2004
1361ducttape is an unknown quantity at this point

so far this year, the weirdest design we have come up with was using play-doh to stick to the trackball in order to hold it. Our best, though was last year when we found in the rules that there was no vertical height limit to the bots, so we were going to attach a hook and winch to the rafters of the arena, and we were going to lift ALL THREE robots on our alliance!
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
CAD God
AKA: Mike Mellott
FRC #3193 (Falco Tech), FRC #48 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.), FTC #9980 (FMF)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
M. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant futureM. Mellott has a brilliant future

Some suggestions from students at Saturday's brainstorming meeting:

- a helicopter
- build the robot inside a deflated trackball: robot would contain pressurized air tanks that would inflate the ball from inside during hybrid mode, then roll itself like a hamster ball, hoping the refs would mistake it for a real trackball
- push the ball around the track with air pressure waves coming from a large subwoffer playing Metallica
- vertical air column floats the ball about 7' above ground as it drives around the track
- a giant Pac-man that would "swallow" the trackball
- a helicopter (the rookie student just didn't want to give up his idea, even as of yesterday!)
- putting our smallest student inside a trackball, then replacing the ball for one of the field when no one was looking
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
FRC #0753 (The High Desert Droids)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
jason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant future

someone on our team thought of a robot that would tip over so it would 5 feet long and it would just be a catapult.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Guardian of the Grimmerie
FRC #0540 (TALON)
Team Role: Programmer

fabalafae is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay for this year, the wackiest idea involves gigantic chopsticks and a rice bowl. The chopsticks are on the front of the bot and pick up the trackball; they then deliver the trackball to the rice bowl on top of the bot. The rice bowl then catapults the trackball.

And also, if we're on the red alliance, the red trackball would be like a giant boiled shrimp ball in the bowl.
Into the abyss will I run
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
go team 4910! get that FLL!
AKA: username-ers=myname
FRC #0587 (Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Mechanical

joshsmithers is a glorious beacon of lightjoshsmithers is a glorious beacon of lightjoshsmithers is a glorious beacon of lightjoshsmithers is a glorious beacon of lightjoshsmithers is a glorious beacon of lightjoshsmithers is a glorious beacon of light

wow, some of these are just out there, but i guess thats the point of the thread.

one serious design brought up last year resembled some 2WD vehicle out of Star Wars. it had two, huge bicycle wheels with an arm in the middle. think about 2wd wedge-bots you would see in battlebots, except with bicycle wheels and an arm.

the worst design i've come up with, i literally dreamed up. last saturday night, i dreamed a basic box bot with a chair mounted on top. i believe it was a denso motor that we used to swivel the chair. a clown was then duck-taped to the top. after a funny scene in the dream where we had to get the robot to pass inspection, we drove the robot in a match. unfortunately, we were disabled for high speed ramming before the clown could score.

and no, i didn't bring this up in the meeting. probably should've.

Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Nancy
AKA: Charles Hummer
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
Rysonue has a spectacular aura aboutRysonue has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Rysonue

We sugested that equping our robot with a deflector dish may protect it from falling Track Balls, but we were doubtful of its ability to stand up to the force.
Maybe we can beam up the track ball over the overpass.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #5403 (Aluminosity)
Team Role: Leadership

Josh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond repute

One of our crazy designs while brainstorming was a large fan to blow the ball over the overpass. Then a large tube to catch the ball on the other side. I think our 120lb limit would have been met.
15'-18' FRC 5403
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM
The Driver
AKA: Silas Fischer
FRC #1824 (Team Apollo)
Team Role: Driver

BurnFischer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BurnFischer

Last night we were throwing ideas around... (at 11:30 on a school night...) and someone mentioned a "jousting javelin"
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Mechanical/Photographer/Photoshoper
AKA: LJ (Little John)
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats)
Team Role: Driver

spinmunky will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to spinmunky Send a message via MSN to spinmunky Send a message via Yahoo to spinmunky

well this isn't a robot design but we were joking about controlling the robot with a DDR pad or Guitar Hero Controller
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
AKA: Nathan
FRC #0004 (Element)
Team Role: Programmer

Nathans is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Nathans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinmunky View Post
well this isn't a robot design but we were joking about controlling the robot with a DDR pad or Guitar Hero Controller
We've talked about controling it with a power glove. I was thinking about how one would control a 4-jointed arm (like the one in the kickoff animation), and my favorite idea was to use a "voodoo doll" of the arm, with one of the drivers furiously minipulating it while trying to score handle game pieces.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: