OCCRA
Go to Post Welcome to a Chief Delphi poll, where the responses are made up and the numbers don't matter. - JohnSchneider [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM
FRC #3275 (Accelerators 3134 & Regulators 3275)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
snoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud of
Great Northern Regional (week 1)

On Behalf of the 2 Cass Lake Robotics Teams 3134, 3275 and the Northern Minnesota Robotics Conference I would like to welcome all teams competing at the first ever Great Northern Regional at the Alerus Center in Grand Forks ND. This is a week 1 event and will take place from Feb 28 to Mar 3. This event will host 47 teams from many states around the midwest. https://www.thebluealliance.com/event/2018ndgf

It will be very interesting to see how this years game evolves.

Best of luck to all!!
https://www.facebook.com/accerleratorsandregulators/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQU...Cr8I4wezAbMefA

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2018, 11:04 AM
AKA: Jared Voight
FRC #2500 (Herobotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Jardanium will become famous soon enough
Re: Great Northern Regional (week 1)

Very excited to be volunteering as a GA for the first time up in Grand Forks! It's looking to be an exciting regional with many awesome teams and may be a "to-watch" event for Week 1!

See everyone in two weeks!

2018: Medtronic Foundation Regional - Judges' Award | Great Northern Regional - Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2017: Minnesota Robotics Invitational - Winner | Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional - Imagery Award | Iowa Regional - Regional Chairman's Award
2016: Minnesota Robotics Invitational - Scholarship Winner | Northern Lights Regional - Dean's List Finalist
2015: Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional - Regional Engineering Inspiration Award | Northern Lights Regional - Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2014: Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional - Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Industrial Safety Award | Northern Lights Regional - Gracious Professionalism Award
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

https://i.imgur.com/QbLGwTv.jpg\

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
This picture, and the two match videos we could see raise an important question for those of us who were competing at the same time as GNR: what was the story with 1986? Why were they 2-9 and not selected for the playoffs?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Crazy Person
no team (Unoccupied)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2015
cscottm is a splendid one to beholdcscottm is a splendid one to beholdcscottm is a splendid one to beholdcscottm is a splendid one to beholdcscottm is a splendid one to beholdcscottm is a splendid one to behold

They kept breaking, and were really inconsistent throughout the tournament. When they worked, they preformed very well, but that level of functionality was irregular.

I was just a spectator, but I am sure someone on their team could explain further.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Dad View Post
This picture, and the two match videos we could see raise an important question for those of us who were competing at the same time as GNR: what was the story with 1986? Why were they 2-9 and not selected for the playoffs?

Uggh. I don't want to speak for 1986... they were a class act despite their issues. If someone from 1986 could chime in that would be spectacular.

They had some major lift issues on Thursday, as an alliance captain we wanted to give them as many chances as possible, but lift issues in combination with a slow (for now at any rate) drive-train made us favor other options/ strategies.

https://i.imgur.com/AgIEyoA.jpg

Last edited by Skyehawk : 03-07-2018 at 02:52 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Knock-off Dr. Strange
AKA: inkling16
no team (The Piztons)

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what was the story with 1986? Why were they 2-9 and not selected for the playoffs?
My guess is that they were on everyone's do not pick list since they used a mecanum drive last year.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
My guess is that they were on everyone's do not pick list since they used a mecanum drive last year.
This makes no sense to me. Even if this a joke, I know this exists. I understand that most teams who use mecanum (yours truly included) do not use it's advantages effectively and cannot act against very well. However, an effective robot is an effective. In my honest opinion, there shouldn't be any "Do Not Pick" criteria past not moving on the field. Even then, teams have issues and scouts shouldn't look past a team who had FMS issues in a single match. It annoys me to no end the massive amounts of bias and terrible decision making that goes into some scouting decisions, in the minds of a lower-end team like myself.

Studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology
Vice President of Philanthropy at Illinois Tech Robotics

Join the FRC Discord!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Knock-off Dr. Strange
AKA: inkling16
no team (The Piztons)

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeeneykid View Post
Even if this a joke
Definitely a joke
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Ardent Supporter
AKA: Mr. Aaron Bailey
FRC #1986 (Team TITANium)

Rookie Year: 2007
Alpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
One of our brighter moments from the weekend.

On behalf of Team Titanium (1986) I wanted to thank everyone who had a hand in organizing the inaugural Great Northern Regional. It was a very well run event.

Big thanks to 3102 for providing the practice field. Immensely helpful, especially at a week 1 event. Small shout out to Thomas and Olaf. Enjoyed our times together and wish you all the best as you continue on this season.

We had a few set-backs this weekend. We have no explanations to offer publicly, other than we are working our tails off back home to get better. Kids are still learning great things, perhaps more this year than ever.

Overjoyed to see Justice honored as a Dean's list finalist at the event.
Dean's List Finalists: 2018(Justice W), 2016(Jacob S), 2014(Cameron L), 2013(Jay U), 2012(Laura S), 2011(Dominic A), 2010(Collin R)
Woodie Flowers Finalist 2018 (Nancy Spatz), 2013 (Aaron Bailey)
Championships: Einstein Finalist (2017), Sub-Division Champion (2017, 2016), Finalist (2013, 2010), Semifinalist (2014), Quaterfinalist (2018, 2015, 2012, 2011)
Other Official Awards: Gracious Professionalism (2013) Entrepreneurship (2017, 2013), Quality (2017, 2015, 2015, 2013), Engineering Excellence (Champs 2013, 2012), Website (2011), Industrial Design (Curie/Darwin 2017, Archimedes/Tesla 2016, 2016, 2015, Newton 2014, 2013, 2011), Innovation in Control (2018, 2014, Champs 2010, 2010, 2008, 2008), Imagery (2009), Safety(2017), Regional Finalist (2017, 2016, 2015, 2008)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
Definitely a joke
Figured as much. My point still stands.

Studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology
Vice President of Philanthropy at Illinois Tech Robotics

Join the FRC Discord!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
MN FIRST alumnus
FRC #7048

Rookie Year: 2013
hutchMN is a glorious beacon of lighthutchMN is a glorious beacon of lighthutchMN is a glorious beacon of lighthutchMN is a glorious beacon of lighthutchMN is a glorious beacon of lighthutchMN is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
They were high on 7048's pick list for the 2nd round. We were going to try to convince 2491 to pick them until 4818 fell to us. They filled a niche strategy we had in mind, but we ended up getting an elite scale robot in the 2nd round by some miracle.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:52 PM
FRC #4360 (Spudnik)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2013
Austin4360 will become famous soon enoughAustin4360 will become famous soon enough

Hey all, Austin from team 4360 Spudnik here!

I want to thank all 47 teams for the best regional our team has ever attended ever. We had an absolute blast and we can't wait to come back to rumble in the Alerus Center again.

To our alliance partners F.R.E.D. (2883) and Thunder (876):
Thanks our for making our team's first playoff experience great. It was fun to work with you guys and we would like to wish you both the best of luck in the future!

To our building space (and STEM Alliance) partners The Herd (4818) and Red River Rage (7048):

Congrats on your semis playoff run and all the awards you guys received. We know how hard you guys worked and watching it pay off for you guys was awesome, here's to more years of working together!

From the one of the girls of 4360:
Dear Mechatronics Team Girls,
Thank you for talking about something that is not so easily talked about. You really opened my eyes to things that I hadn't realized before. Your courage and you speaking out about this has and will change all of our lives for the better. Thank you.

Once again everyone here at 4360 thanks everyone who had a hand in making GNR such a great event! Thank you all.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Scouting Maniac
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Leadership

nomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchMN View Post
They were high on 7048's pick list for the 2nd round. We were going to try to convince 2491 to pick them until 4818 fell to us. They filled a niche strategy we had in mind, but we ended up getting an elite scale robot in the 2nd round by some miracle.
Had 4818 been off the table, there would have been no convincing required. We were going for scale bots (we were mainly switch/vault/defense), but 1986 offered an advantage almost too good to pass up. Alas, you already know what happened.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who ran the event. This surpassed all expectations I had for a first-time Week 1 event, and the song was just killer. I still can't give enough thanks to 7048 and 4818 for a great alliance. This was our best first-event performance in our history, despite some mechanical malfunctions, some of which caused us to commit serious fouls. If that rubbed you the wrong way, I am sorry. These issues will be fixed come North Star.

Any questions, comments, concerns or smart remarks? PM me or email me at nomythicalbeast@gmail.com.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchMN View Post
That answers the 2nd part, but WHY was 1986 2-9? What happened to their bot?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: