OCCRA
Go to Post Don't over analyze every possibility. Studying a problem too much doesn't help any more than not studying it enough. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 11:33 AM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it worth it to opt out of the KOP chassis for a low resource team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marandola View Post
I can answer for ns3517. Our resources are definitely not the same as OP and I would recommend the KOP chassis for teams in their situation. The years that we used the KOP chassis our robot budget was around $1,500. This year we spent over that much just on two drivetrains. It could be cheaper if we had a mill but if you're going all COTS it's going to be expensive.

Our reasons for switching:
-All of the benefits of WCD
-Since we usually modified the KOP chassis we would scrap it at the end of the season. With a COTS WCD we pretty much only need to buy new tubing and shafts.
-Easier to mount super structure to 2x1
-The KOP chassis sizes and ratios are more limited
Thank you for the response! It makes a lot of sense why you would go the direction of a WCD in your situation, and I appreciate your candor about the cost of building your robots.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadandcookies View Post
This is not useful advice without due context about your team’s resources. Are you a similar budget category as the OP? If so, how did you manage to build this? If you’ve largely been using kit chasses before now, what predicated the switch, and why are you “never going back”— what benefits did you see?
While some advice, like the poster's you're responding to, may not be particularly useful to the OP of this thread, it could still very well hold as general advice for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
While some advice, like the poster's you're responding to, may not be particularly useful to the OP of this thread, it could still very well hold as general advice for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future.
Without any info of why I'm not really sure how it was helpful.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux View Post
Time is honestly more valuable than money during build season so keep that in mind too. There's always more money floating around out there but I can't ever get a week of build season back.

For one or two of the teams I have worked with in the past, money was not the greatest limiting factor. Factors such as being able to design a robot that was manufacturable and having enough students and mentors adept enough at manufacturing were the major constraints.

I believe that one of Karthik's Golden Rules is relevant here.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2018, 01:07 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the KOP and use the money to maintain your batteries. One of our newer mentors has been adamant about purchasing battery-minders and desulfators - something like this. There are other battery minders/tendors on the market that may suit your needs, check around.

Another area to make certain your KOP is up to snuff is to use new motors for each competition - as I have been told that they degrade over time (thanks, Eric). The more advanced teams seem to swap the CIMs out after each competition...

After that, well there are so many options. I would look to your Motor Controller usage first.

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2018, 10:54 AM
The Nature Bot - WOOOO!
FRC #1720 (PhyXTGears)

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
For one or two of the teams I have worked with in the past, money was not the greatest limiting factor. Factors such as being able to design a robot that was manufacturable and having enough students and mentors adept enough at manufacturing were the major constraints.

I believe that one of Karthik's Golden Rules is relevant here.
Absolutely - we ran into this some this season as well. Week 6 rolls around and everyone is exhausted, people skip a meeting here and there & there are less hands to accomplish what needs to be done. Build within your means and you'll be less likely to get burned out.
Team 4329 Mentor: 2013 - 2017 :: Team 1720 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: