Go to Post Don't take my questions negatively, I just hold drive trains to a ridiculous standard. - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM
FRC #0296

Eamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Roborio repair: conformal coating question

Anyone have any experience dealing with the conformal coating when repairing a roborio?

What kind of coating is it, and what is a recommended way of removing it?

I could ask NI but I thought I'd ask here first.

Best regards,

Eamon
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 04:27 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Roborio repair: conformal coating question

Um...

You might want to contact NI before you try to repair the RoboRIO. Just in case doing the repair voids the warranty, you see.

And another thing to bear in mind when repairing that particular device is that performance and specs need to be the same after the repair as before--otherwise, it's not legal for competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2018, 08:42 PM
FRC #0296

Hi EricH.

I will check if the unit is still under warranty, but I think it is more than 3 years old. The dual type-A USB connector is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Do you know anything about the type of conformal coating used, or how it is best removed? Earlier, I managed to scrape enough of it off to replace the CAN connector on another RIO, but I'd like to do it righter or easier this time around.

Thanks for the reply,

Eamon
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Do the pins of the connector go through the circuit board? If they do, it would be best to get access to a professional de-soldering tool and have someone familiar with using it to do the work. Otherwise, it is pretty easy to damage the circuit board irreparably.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
RogueBotix LLC
VRC #8091
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
teslalab2 will become famous soon enoughteslalab2 will become famous soon enough

Depending on how thick the coating is you should be able to just melt through it with. Do you have any pictures?

Run you CanJaguars on arduino with ArduRIO, you can also easily control Talons, Victors,Jaguars and Sparks on PWM. https://sourceforge.net/projects/ardurio/
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 09:14 AM
FRC #0296

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
Do the pins of the connector go through the circuit board? If they do, it would be best to get access to a professional de-soldering tool and have someone familiar with using it to do the work. Otherwise, it is pretty easy to damage the circuit board irreparably.
I have a solder sucker at my disposal. I have repaired quite a few circuit boards over the decades, and rarely broken one. I am fairly confident the NI circuit board is high quality, and the traces around the USB connector are not microscopic so are unlikely to delaminate.

Replacing a broken through-hold USB connector with a few pins is less daunting than replacing an SMT part with considerably more. One thing to take full advantage of is that you really don't care if you destroy the broken part you're removing. So it may be advantageous to ruthlessly dismember it and divide and conquer - pulling out one pin at a time. That way, you really don't need to use a desoldering tool since each pin will pull out, one at a time, when its hole is heated up. Once the part is gone, use a solder sucker to clean the solder out of the holes before putting in the new one. (In a pinch, blowing molten solder out of the hole also accomplishes the task.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teslalab2 View Post
Depending on how thick the coating is you should be able to just melt through it with. Do you have any pictures?
The coating is fairly thick (maybe up to 1mm; have a look inside a roborio) and it's not the gummy kind that you can just peel off, it's hard. As I said, I managed to melt/burn/scrape my way through it in order to replace the CAN bus connector on another unit, but I wondered if there were a better, or recommended, way.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Insert Monty Python Reference Here
AKA: Trevor
FRC #1718 (Fighting Pi)

Pi Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutPi Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutPi Fighter has a spectacular aura about

Have you looked into conformal coat removers? A conformal coat removal pen is the best way to remove only a little bit of the coat.

Just note that the pen I linked to mentions removing silicone and acrylic based coats. I'm not sure what type of coat is on the roboRIO, but that pen might not work on the coat used. Try looking for something that can remove silicone, acrylic, and urethane based coatings, like this.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM
FRC #0296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi Fighter View Post
Have you looked into conformal coat removers? A conformal coat removal pen is the best way to remove only a little bit of the coat.

Just note that the pen I linked to mentions removing silicone and acrylic based coats. I'm not sure what type of coat is on the roboRIO, but that pen might not work on the coat used. Try looking for something that can remove silicone, acrylic, and urethane based coatings, like this.
Thanks Pi.

This looks like what I want to order (along with the replacement part). Now I have something to use the DK PDV for! But I will do a bit more work to see if the coating is acrylic (I don't think it's silicone, since I think it's too hard for this).

Here's a good website that I will take a bit more time to peruse, and which contains a page on removal.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

A tiny little sandblaster! how cool is that? (yes, I used a big one to clean up my old Chevy before I built it)

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
I have a solder sucker at my disposal. I have repaired quite a few circuit boards over the decades, and rarely broken one. I am fairly confident the NI circuit board is high quality, and the traces around the USB connector are not microscopic so are unlikely to delaminate.

Replacing a broken through-hold USB connector with a few pins is less daunting than replacing an SMT part with considerably more. One thing to take full advantage of is that you really don't care if you destroy the broken part you're removing. So it may be advantageous to ruthlessly dismember it and divide and conquer - pulling out one pin at a time. That way, you really don't need to use a desoldering tool since each pin will pull out, one at a time, when its hole is heated up. Once the part is gone, use a solder sucker to clean the solder out of the holes before putting in the new one. (In a pinch, blowing molten solder out of the hole also accomplishes the task.)

The coating is fairly thick (maybe up to 1mm; have a look inside a roborio) and it's not the gummy kind that you can just peel off, it's hard. As I said, I managed to melt/burn/scrape my way through it in order to replace the CAN bus connector on another unit, but I wondered if there were a better, or recommended, way.
If the pins are accessible before they go into the board, cutting them is the best way to go. They can then be pulled out one at a time as you have stated. Just be careful that your cutting doesn't force the connector to move and put extra forces on the PCB.

The risk with a board like the RoboRio is that at least one of the pins will likely connect to an internal or external plane that will act as a heatsink. This can make it difficult to melt the solder on those pins. Occasionally, we have had to have an extra person hold a second soldering iron on the pin. Hopefully, you won't need to do that. If the pin won't move, don't force it. If you do force it, you might pull the plated barrel out of the hole, breaking any connections to internal layers.

Whatever you do, do it quick. Otherwise, you might start delaminating the board material or cause cracks between the tracks and the plated barrel. Even good quality PCB material will delaminate if exposed to enough heat for long enough. Solder wick might work better for you than a than a solder sucker.

It would be best to scrape off as much of the conformal coating as possible. Sometimes, burning it will leave a mess that is harder to get rid of. Whatever conformal coating remains on the solder pads will be removed when you desolder it anyways.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
AKA: Andrew Hartnett
FRC #5414 (Pearadox)

Rookie Year: 2005
ahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to take off the USB type B connector on a rio we are attempting to salvage as a practice/programming roborio.

My method was to just burn through it with a fairly hot soldering iron. I also used some low temp solder with a board heater to essentially "float" and pull off the connector. These are not things that most hobbyists would have on hand however, and then require a good bit of care to ensure that you remove all the low temp solder from the board and iron afterwards. You dont want to have any of the low-temp solder mixing in when you replace it with a new part.

I concur that strategically destroying the busted component and removing it pin by pin would be the best way to do it if possible. I am not totally convinced I took off the connector without damaging the board yet.
Team 451 The Cat Attack, Student Alumni (2005)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Programming Mentor, 972 and 2643
FRC #2643 (Dark Matter)

Rookie Year: 2005
garyk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant future

Id second the idea of calling NI customer support. I hope the number below the Call NI box of https://forums.ni.com/t5/FIRST-Robot...t/ta-p/3734560 is the right one, if you find a better number please post it. NI sent 2643 a replacement right away with the agreement wed return the broken one. I cant speak for NI but its worth a shot.

Silicon Valley Regional 2005, 2006 972
Silicon Valley Regional 2007 668 Xerox Creativity Award
Championship Event 2007 668
Portland Regional 2008 668
Silicon Valley Regional 2008 668, 972
Beta Test Team 2008 668 (with 100 & 254)
Silicon Valley Regional 2009 668 Regional Chairman's Award; 2643
Sacramento Regional 2009 668 Winning Alliance (thanks, 1717 & 2473!), 2010 Winning Alliance 3256
CalGames 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Field Tech
NorCal FTC Regional 2008, 2009 Inspector
Championship Event 2009
San Diego, Silicon Valley Regionals; Champ. Event 2010 668, 2643, 3256
Silicon Valley, Madera Regional 2012 2643
WRRF Programming Instructor 2006-2016
Regional Woodie Flowers Award 2014 2643 Utah Regional

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM
AKA: Tom Riggs
FRC #5402 (Iron Kings)

Rookie Year: 2015
Tom469 is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been thirty years, since I was around conformal coating. We used MEK, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, to clean up the spray guns. MEK is hazardous and shouldn't be used except with proper safety gear and plenty of ventilation. Students shouldn't be handling it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: