OCCRA
Go to Post Point is, there is no definite answer. This is FIRST, Whatever works well with your team is the best. - NelsonMichael [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM
FRC #3560 (Chingbotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
Something_ is an unknown quantity at this point
I think we fried our Rio.

So, the struggle started with connecting talons. We had 3 old ones from 2014(I think), we used one new one. It was all connected properly, I updated firmware on it. But, when we turned on the robot and tried to drive, one wire going to a motor started burning. This is when the issues got real.

We fixed up that wire, but the motors wouldn't move except for the occasionally full turn on one side and some stuttering. The driver station was not throwing any errors. This was a version of the code that had previously worked so we knew it wasn't that. The new talon wires were heating up but we decided that we were gonna keep it on to troubleshoot more.

The Rio went into brownout protection. We tried resetting the rio with the reset button but that didn't work. I went to re-image it, but I needed to update firmware which worked. But, whenever I went to image it, the imaging tool would throw error code likehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bi...0OSiAAME2ibQJU. Another error which I couldn't get a pic of was about an error in restarting, with the same general format.

So, what did we fry? Is there anything we can do?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:18 PM
AKA: Jacob
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
JacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the roughJacobD is a jewel in the rough
Re: I think we fried our Rio.

You might want to read this.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

How did you wire in your talons and motors? Can you provide a picture?

It sounds like you might have plugged in your speed controllers the wrong way.

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:26 PM
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team ('Snow Problem, 3184 Alum)

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute

Um... I'd start with being concerned about your electrical system. Which wire caught on fire (where between the PDP and the motor? before or after the talon), why did it catch on fire, did that affect anything else? You say that the wires on the new Talon were heating up- which wires (PDP->Talon or Talon->Motor) and by how much? Have you tried removing this talon from the system? Are you connected over CAN or PWM?

Wires catching on fire is not normal behavior. I would probably investigate the whole "fire and hot wires" issue before you go any further. This is also probably why you're going into brownout mode.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:43 PM
FRC #3560 (Chingbotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbrickmaster View Post
Um... I'd start with being concerned about your electrical system. Which wire caught on fire (where between the PDP and the motor? before or after the talon), why did it catch on fire, did that affect anything else? You say that the wires on the new Talon were heating up- which wires (PDP->Talon or Talon->Motor) and by how much? Have you tried removing this talon from the system? Are you connected over CAN or PWM?

Wires catching on fire is not normal behavior. I would probably investigate the whole "fire and hot wires" issue before you go any further. This is also probably why you're going into brownout mode.
The wire that caught fire was Talon to Motor, it was because somehow the wire got cut while inside the insulation. We fixed that.

If I remember correctly it was PDP to Talon. We are connected via CAN. We will try removing the talon from the system tomorrow.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2018, 09:59 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_ View Post
So, what did we fry? Is there anything we can do?
Post a picture of your setup here. Likely the outcome is that you've got a learning opportunity.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_ View Post
The wire that caught fire was Talon to Motor, it was because somehow the wire got cut while inside the insulation. We fixed that.

If I remember correctly it was PDP to Talon. We are connected via CAN. We will try removing the talon from the system tomorrow.
The failure mode you described doesn't make sense. Maybe something is missing.

I would strongly suggest that you ask one of the many established teams in the Toronto area to have a detailed look over the wiring in your robot. It is quite likely that there are other wiring errors. This might also be a good opportunity to ask them to give your team some training about how to do the wiring construction.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM
FRC #3560 (Chingbotics)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HcC...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16hY...ew?usp=sharing
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, your photos do not show the wiring between each motor controller and motor very clearly or completely. It might be better if you grouped the wire pairs to each motor so they are more obvious.

I am going to reiterate my suggestion that you find one of the other local teams to help you go through your wiring. Those of us on the forum can only help in a limited way since we cannot put our hands on your robot.

You are about 1 week away from bag and tag. You do not want to be trying to fix your problem at your competitions. Dedicate some time now to fix them now i.e. your team should not be expecting to drive the robot or doing any more construction until this is fixed. Your team will need to work through all of the troubleshooting steps in a methodical way. It is quite possible that you have more than one (type) of problem. If you rush through the troubleshooting, you are likely to miss a fault and it will show up at your competitions.

Take the wiring diagram and follow each and every wire through, one at a time, and fix any errors you find. They symptoms in your first post suggest that you might have at least one pair of motors fighting each other.

Support the chassis using blocks of wood so none of the wheels touch the floor or table.

Disconnect all four drive motors from their motor controllers. Running like this should not cause any brownouts. If it does, go through your wiring again.

Spin the wheels by hand. If there is too much resistance or one side has more resistance than the other, you need to investigate what is going on. Either the gearboxes are assembled incorrectly or some of your axle bolts may have been over tightened.

Connect one of the four drive motors. Always connect the red wire to the "+" output of the motor controllers. Use your driver controls to command the robot to go forward. Note which way the wheel turns. Disconnect that motor and connect the other motor on the same side. Use your driver controls to command the robot to go forward. Note which way the wheel turns. The wheel should turn the same way with each of the motors connected, one at a time. If the wheels rotate in opposite directions, you will need to reverse the direction of one of the motor controllers in your software. Repeat this for the other side of your chassis.

Did you replace the output wires on one of the motor controllers? I am not sure if that is legal.

Please report your findings here.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

Looks like you're mounting on aluminum, did you check for shorts or If either positive or negative is grounded into your board?

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Quasi Mentor
AKA: Jimmy
FRC #3357 (The COMETS)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2011
jimbo493 is a glorious beacon of lightjimbo493 is a glorious beacon of lightjimbo493 is a glorious beacon of lightjimbo493 is a glorious beacon of lightjimbo493 is a glorious beacon of light

Check the motors one at a time, disconnecting the unused ones from the motor controller.

Did you fix the "burnt" wire with the electrical tape? If the insulation is gone, the copper probably isnt so great either. Try to replace the MC with a different one.

Fix the (-)wire going into the rio, make sure there is no copper exposed.

Once again though, it is difficult to troubleshoot without being there, next step would be removing items until the problem goes away so see where the fault lies.

FTC Student 2011-2012 FRC Student 2012-2016
FIRST Alum/Quasi-Mentor 2016-present
RI FiM East Kentwood 2017
AV Ferris State Roboday Offseason 2017
RI Traverse City, West MI, Forest Hills, World Championship Detroit 2018
CSA Forest Hills
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 06:18 PM
FRC #3560 (Chingbotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
Unfortunately, your photos do not show the wiring between each motor controller and motor very clearly or completely. It might be better if you grouped the wire pairs to each motor so they are more obvious.

I am going to reiterate my suggestion that you find one of the other local teams to help you go through your wiring. Those of us on the forum can only help in a limited way since we cannot put our hands on your robot.

We have a team(1241) that has helped us in previous seasons so we will ask them for help.

Quote:
You are about 1 week away from bag and tag. You do not want to be trying to fix your problem at your competitions. Dedicate some time now to fix them now i.e. your team should not be expecting to drive the robot or doing any more construction until this is fixed. Your team will need to work through all of the troubleshooting steps in a methodical way. It is quite possible that you have more than one (type) of problem. If you rush through the troubleshooting, you are likely to miss a fault and it will show up at your competitions.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is an alternative bot, which will not be used in comps. So, we are going to be using it as a practice robot and can work on it after the build season is over. We are not gonna be working on it often for this week but will try to get it working before comps.

Quote:
Take the wiring diagram and follow each and every wire through, one at a time, and fix any errors you find. They symptoms in your first post suggest that you might have at least one pair of motors fighting each other.

Disconnect all four drive motors from their motor controllers. Running like this should not cause any brownouts. If it does, go through your wiring again.

Spin the wheels by hand. If there is too much resistance or one side has more resistance than the other, you need to investigate what is going on. Either the gearboxes are assembled incorrectly or some of your axle bolts may have been over tightened.

Connect one of the four drive motors. Always connect the red wire to the "+" output of the motor controllers. Use your driver controls to command the robot to go forward. Note which way the wheel turns. Disconnect that motor and connect the other motor on the same side. Use your driver controls to command the robot to go forward. Note which way the wheel turns. The wheel should turn the same way with each of the motors connected, one at a time. If the wheels rotate in opposite directions, you will need to reverse the direction of one of the motor controllers in your software. Repeat this for the other side of your chassis.

Once build season is over we will be working with these suggestions. Thanks.

Quote:
Did you replace the output wires on one of the motor controllers? I am not sure if that is legal.
I would not know because I mainly program but I doubt that we did.

Thank you for all your advice

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: