Go to Post w0000000000000t! - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2015, 02:19 PM
FRC #4395 (T-Rex)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
arizonafoxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Northrop Grumman Mentors

Greetings,

I recently transitioned to a position with Northrop Grumman. As a company they were thrilled with my FRC background and the fact that I have mentored for over 8 years. They immediately gave the team I am mentoring a grant to help out and have had the team give multiple demonstrations. This has shown me that my branch office does care about FRC and my team. However when I asked for them to give me time off to travel with the team HR said that the corporate policy is that any volunteer work would require a PTO request. As many of you mentors know traveling for competition alone is like 40 hours a season if not more. So out of the two weeks I get as a new employee half of it is used to travel and work my butt of with the team. I would prefer to keep my PTO for my family.

What I am wondering is how other Northrop Grumman employees handle this. If you know one of your mentors is an NG employee please ask them and let me know. I am wondering if there is some accounting bucket that seasoned NG employees use to justify their time with the team. I have asked my boss if I could use my mentoring as a professional development opportunity and fill out the continuing education paperwork and the travel authorization paperwork to create a paper trail for accounting. His response is do you get any type of credits at the end of a season from the school or USFIRST. I noticed that FTC has something like this. Does anyone know if FRC does?

I understand sometimes corporate policy is what it is and there is no working around it, but there are just too many NG mentors out there in our community and I find it hard to believe that all of us are taking PTO. Northrop Grumman also sponsors regional competition from time to time. This is why I feel that maybe my branch office just doesn't know that there is a USFIRST time allowance for NG employees. I think when HR asked corporate what the policy is on volunteering for a high school they did not give very much detail as to what I was actually doing. At least that is my hope.

Again if anyone is or knows of Northrop Grumman mentors out there please let me know if they have to take PTO when they travel with the team.

Thank you in Advance
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard
Re: Northrop Grumman Mentors

Contact Kaliken on 294.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/member.php?u=39467

He is a NGC mentor as well and is semi-active here.

David Ansari is as well

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/member.php?u=83117

294 has a few other NGC mentors that can provide information as well.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

I've organized/coordinated Northrop Grumman mentors in the Bethpage Long Island area since 2003, although I've now handed off that responsibility.
While occasionally it has been possible to arrange for paid mentor time, it has only been under very special circumstances, starting up new teams in under-served communities for instance, and only when special budgets happened to be available. The limited paid-mentor time I was able to arrange for was always for normal work hours, e.g., afternoon mentor visits to the schools that didn't meet after work and never as event or team volunteers. Those special budgets tended to evaporate as belts were tightened and were more a sniffing out of discretionary funds than any coordinated funding efforts by the company.

All my volunteer time, most of March for events and after school to lots of Long Island teams has come out of my own PTO. However, a lot of PTO buildup made it easier vs a new employee.
Can you offset hours?

Other companies, e.g. Bloomberg in NYC is tremendous, have a much more supportive volunteer program.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 08-12-2015 at 10:44 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM
BCR Mentor Advisor
AKA: Ken S
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
kaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant future

please check your PM inbox i sent you some stuff so you can contact me through the NG network
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Still a New Englander on the inside
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #5012 (Gryffingear)

smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was required to take vacation time to volunteer.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM
FRC #4795

Rookie Year: 2013
scrblnrd3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I interned at NG over the summer and am currently mentoring Team 4795 in Chapel Hill, NC, along with two current employees from the Raleigh, NC office. If anyone has current info about sponsorships and time off from competition, I would really appreciate it!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2017, 11:11 AM
BCR Mentor Advisor

kaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrblnrd3 View Post
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I interned at NG over the summer and am currently mentoring Team 4795 in Chapel Hill, NC, along with two current employees from the Raleigh, NC office. If anyone has current info about sponsorships and time off from competition, I would really appreciate it!
Check your PMs
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

For others that come across this interested in more than just the one company... it's pretty common to have to use your PTO for FIRST volunteering. There are some few companies that really "get it" and offer some amount of volunteer time off for employees in addition to the PTO, and some that are more supportive of time off to work with teams they sponsor. But that's not the norm these days.

So, plan ahead! Take your involvement into your job interviews. Sell them on the benefits they'll see from your participation with FIRST (increased technical experience, leadership experience, technical communication). And then let them know what the time commitment is for this volunteer position, and you're looking for a fit that can help with that.

Seriously, doing that worked wonders for me with my current job. When they extended the offer, they gave me an extra week of PTO. While it doesn't completely cover my annual volunteering for FIRST (2 regionals, champs, and an out of town offseason add up to 9 days each year, and this year I added a third regional to make it 12), it helps a lot. It's pretty much like the company is splitting the cost of my volunteering. And it's nice to know they are supportive of what I do.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Mentor
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)

Hjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
For others that come across this interested in more than just the one company... it's pretty common to have to use your PTO for FIRST volunteering. There are some few companies that really "get it" and offer some amount of volunteer time off for employees in addition to the PTO, and some that are more supportive of time off to work with teams they sponsor. But that's not the norm these days.

So, plan ahead! Take your involvement into your job interviews. Sell them on the benefits they'll see from your participation with FIRST (increased technical experience, leadership experience, technical communication). And then let them know what the time commitment is for this volunteer position, and you're looking for a fit that can help with that.

Seriously, doing that worked wonders for me with my current job. When they extended the offer, they gave me an extra week of PTO. While it doesn't completely cover my annual volunteering for FIRST (2 regionals, champs, and an out of town offseason add up to 9 days each year, and this year I added a third regional to make it 12), it helps a lot. It's pretty much like the company is splitting the cost of my volunteering. And it's nice to know they are supportive of what I do.
Nice idea! Wish I had thought of it! As a result of switching jobs and a heavy FRC load last year, this year has been absolutely brutal for me (went in the hole by 80 hours by year end). Every last PTO hour this year was gone by the end of champs.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
The Nature Bot - WOOOO!
FRC #1720 (PhyXTGears)

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

I'd also recommend just talking to your manager about flexing your time - as long as you're not missing anything major and are meeting your deadlines, I've found supportive managers are fine with working extra hours earlier / later in the pay-period to not have to use a vacation or PTO day on a regional competition day. This can at least reduce the number of vacation / PTO hours you use on robot-related activities.
Team 4329 Mentor: 2013 - 2017 :: Team 1720 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 10:18 PM
AKA: Paul
FRC #2403
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
plasma_54 will become famous soon enough

With recent news this week, I thought this thread was relevant to bring back up, as the pool of "Northrop Grumman Mentors" has increased. I too would be interested in learning about any corporate-level team sponsorship programs or time-off benefits available to employees. I recognize the programs may not be immediately available to this new business sector, but I at least want to be asking the right questions to management. Any information would be appreciated!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 10:46 PM
BCR Mentor Advisor

Hi Paul. We have several mentors here at the Space Park/El Segundo CA facility for the aerospace systems sector. Welcome to NG!

I know that the news is still fresh and things haven't been fully settled but I can contact our HR rep over here if they have any new information on how they sponsorship is going to work out. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: