OCCRA
Go to Post Goodness, YES. Please get a copy of the rules. It explains a lot, and if your robot does NOT follow the rules, you will not be allowed to compete. Really, it is very important. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM
AKA: Team Captain
FRC #2471

Rookie Year: 2016
owen.wilks.2471 is an unknown quantity at this point
pic: Off-season Caster Swerve Drive

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM
AKA: Ethan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
ethanhavens0500 is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: Off-season Caster Swerve Drive

Is there a reason to use the caster design over a normal swerve?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:37 PM
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
Mark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud of

16 slots from the PDP.....

I'm not even going to try to convince anyone why castered swerve is an oxymoron and a bad idea, it just is..... sorry.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:09 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wasserman View Post

I'm not even going to try to convince anyone why castered swerve is an oxymoron and a bad idea, it just is..... sorry.
I mean, there are interesting things to think about...

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...3&postcount=31
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:15 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm not even going to try to convince anyone why <snip> swerve is an oxymoron and a bad idea, it just is..... sorry.
FTFY.

This seems like an overkill type of design for a promotional robot, not an FRC legal robot. You can do whatever you want in that case; more power = more fun! OP never even mentioned how many wheels they plan on using either, it might only be 3. Or 2.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:24 PM
FRC #2471

tragicexpert is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
FTFY.

This seems like an overkill type of design for a promotional robot, not an FRC legal robot. You can do whatever you want in that case; more power = more fun! OP never even mentioned how many wheels they plan on using either, it might only be 3. Or 2.
Don't know to much about the specifics but there are 3 wheels and I believe a triangular drive train.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
AlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Then why post?

Last I checked, no conclusion was reached in any of the CD castor swerve threads regarding the effectiveness of a castor swerve in an FRC context. Judging by your post history, you've not participated in any of those discussions, so you've either not read them, or decided that your opinions were already well stated by others.

In both cases, you really do need to explain why you think a castor swerve is a bad idea if you want to be taken seriously, and you most certainly should explain why you think it's an oxymoron. (which I would reckon is only possible if one misinterprets the operation of a castor swerve or the definition of "oxymoron")
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 05:24 PM
mechanical build mentor
AKA: Bob Hrenchir
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
hrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant futurehrench has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheOK View Post
Then why post?

you really do need to explain why you think a castor swerve is a bad idea
As I replied to the most recent caster (not castor, which is vegetable oil) swerve drive posting, the purpose of rake and trail which results in caster is to make a following-wheel more stable while following, going straight.

The purpose of swerve is to be able to turn readily, at will. So making it harder to turn doesn't make sense. To me.

If you can tell me why you want to caster it, I'm listening.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
AlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrench View Post
the purpose of rake and trail which results in caster is to make a following-wheel more stable while following, going straight.

The purpose of swerve is to be able to turn readily, at will. So making it harder to turn doesn't make sense. To me.

The purpose of offsetting a swerve wheel has nothing to do with stability. It is merely a side benefit. There is also no trail in such a module, which is evident by just looking at it, so your reference to rake and trail in this post isn't actually relevant, as that's just not how caster swerves are designed and built.

I won't re-type the entirety of that thread, and I highly encourage that you reread it. Please take the time to understand the design and motivations before casting it away.

TL;DR: The purpose of offsetting the wheel is to allow fine adjustments through the steering of the module.

edit: Also, I hear others are partial to using olive oil for their drives, but once you go castor you never go back.

Last edited by AlexanderTheOK : 06-07-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: memes
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 06:48 PM
AKA: Team Captain
FRC #2471

Rookie Year: 2016
owen.wilks.2471 is an unknown quantity at this point

So yes, it is going to have three wheels. Also, the reason that we have chosen to overpower them so much is we know that the robot is likely to be over 200 pounds and we want it to have decent acceleration. The robot is also going to run on 24 volts instead of the normal 12, most of the standard FRC electronics can run on 24 volts but the motors can't. So we are going to run the motors in parrel, for example, the two mini cims will be run of one Talon SRX and one PDP slot this also allows us to use one slip ring per module. So the drivetrain will only be using 6 PDP slots. The reason we are choosing to do a caster drive is that it hasn't been seriously tested yet, we decided that this is a project that would allow us test casters without much risk.

-Owen Wilks

P.S. This design was never meant to be used in a real competition it is just a fun way to test the concept.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 06:52 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. That looks like a very cool design. Let us know how it works out. I bet you learn alot about engineering swerves from it that you can take forward to competition. Just ignore the naysayers. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary negativity on CD as of late.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen.wilks.2471 View Post
Nice work Owen. It looks great! One suggestion I have is to add a rib in the middle of the slot for the 775 vents. It shouldn't block airflow, and will improve the motors' mounting rigidity.

Quote:

I'm really curious what your motivations were for making this post. Please enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhavens0500 View Post
Owen touched on the motivation for this application, but in a more general sense, an offset wheel would be used on a swerve for the same reason that one would be used on an unpowered caster: So that the structure it's mounted to can move immediately in any direction without skidding the wheel.
FRC Team Mean Machine

Last edited by Bryce2471 : 06-07-2018 at 08:01 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Purdue University
AKA: Spencer Tickman
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
tickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond reputetickspe15 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool design!

How did you go about determining the position of the idler pulleys?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 10:02 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickspe15 View Post
Cool design!

How did you go about determining the position of the idler pulleys?
Iíll offer what I do in Solidworks (it may be different in Inventor, which is what I believe 2471 uses):

Usually on the master sketch for the part, Iíll make a belt layout with the Input and output pulleys fully defined, but with the idler under-defined. Those pulleys are represented as circles with the pitch diameters (you can typically just look these up). Iíd then create a path-length dimension set to the tooth count times the pitch (ex: 80t HTD 5mm -> 400mm length). Iíd then drag around the idler until itís in a position I like, then dimension it into place. When making the plate itself, the idler usually doesnít get a hole but a slot, to make tensioning easier.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info or if I just donít make sense.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen.wilks.2471 View Post
So yes, it is going to have three wheels. Also, the reason that we have chosen to overpower them so much is we know that the robot is likely to be over 200 pounds and we want it to have decent acceleration. The robot is also going to run on 24 volts instead of the normal 12, most of the standard FRC electronics can run on 24 volts but the motors can't. So we are going to run the motors in parrel, for example, the two mini cims will be run of one Talon SRX and one PDP slot this also allows us to use one slip ring per module. So the drivetrain will only be using 6 PDP slots. The reason we are choosing to do a caster drive is that it hasn't been seriously tested yet, we decided that this is a project that would allow us test casters without much risk.

-Owen Wilks

P.S. This design was never meant to be used in a real competition it is just a fun way to test the concept.

Please verify the maximum input/battery voltage allowed on the current PDP manufactured by CTRE and the previous PDB to ensure that they will function properly in your proposed application.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: