Go to Post OMFG! Sanity prevails! It's unprecedented! - Kevin Sevcik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:43 PM
FRC #3173

Mgineer is an unknown quantity at this point
The Return of the Ramp Bots

Now that the Levitation powerup makes one alliance not climbing viable for match points and ranking points (with FACING THE BOSS), a robot needs to be only 12 in off of the ground to be considered climbing, and that bar is so small, do any of you predict robots with ramps like in 2007? Is anyone planning on making your robot like this? I'm curious to see what current consensus is on the viability of bots with ramps on them that other bots can ascend using.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Return of the Ramp Bots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgineer View Post
Now that the Levitation powerup makes one alliance not climbing viable for match points and ranking points (with FACING THE BOSS), a robot needs to be only 12 in off of the ground to be considered climbing, and that bar is so small, do any of you predict robots with ramps like in 2007? Is anyone planning on making your robot like this? I'm curious to see what current consensus is on the viability of bots with ramps on them that other bots can ascend using.
It doesn't even need to be 12 inches off the ground, only the bumpers need to be 12 inches off the ground, theoretically possible if the robot is 10 inches off the ground.

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

I would agree, the fairly fixed robot size limits help enable this. I think a double ramp bot + capability to deliver cubes to the exchange is a very viable strategy.

The more I think about it, the more I think Power Up has, in subtle ways, more high-level drastically different viable design approaches and strategies than most FIRST games in recent memory. The relative freedom of approach to a lot of tasks reminds me of some older games.

One thing to note if you plan to pursue this: In 2007, ramp bots were very explicitly a part of the game, and teams built their drivetrains expecting to have to navigate unknown partner ramps. This year, teams probably won't be expecting it quite so much. Be public about your plans, and design your ramps to be as friendly as possible to the conventional "flat field" drivetrains most teams will likely be building.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018: Other projects/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

Last edited by Joe G. : 01-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:32 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

How are robots sitting on another robot that isn't in the air fully supported by the scale? A robot's bumpers need to be more than 12" off the ground, *and* it must be fully supported by the scale (or transitively).

I don't think a ramp-bot satisfies this requirement, and no one on the alliance would get the points (except for the levitate, if applicable).
The Bausch Foundation and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
How are robots sitting on another robot that isn't in the air fully supported by the scale? A robot's bumpers need to be more than 12" off the ground, *and* it must be fully supported by the scale (or transitively).

I don't think a ramp-bot satisfies this requirement, and no one on the alliance would get the points (except for the levitate, if applicable).
The definition of scale in section 3.3 on page 17 includes the platforms.

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:42 PM
FRC #3173

That was one of the things I was curious about when making this post. According to the manual (specifically 3.3) the platforms are a part of the scale. Although it's a bit of a technicality, the robot is supported by those platforms and is, therefore, supported by the scale. Not sure if FIRST would allow this though.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:50 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATannahill View Post
The definition of scale in section 3.3 on page 17 includes the platforms.
Hmm.

I doubt that will survive Q&A, but we'll see.
The Bausch Foundation and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:54 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
Hmm.

I doubt that will survive Q&A, but we'll see.
In my opinion, G05 suggests that this strategy was intentionally allowed.
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:55 PM
LabView in 2018 lol
AKA: Ian Stewart
FRC #5498 (Wired Devils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
orangeandblack5 will become famous soon enough

If somebody asks for clarification on this and gets an answer, please post the Q&A link here.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:58 PM
FRC #3173

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack5 View Post
If somebody asks for clarification on this and gets an answer, please post the Q&A link here.
Will do.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:27 PM
mechanical engineer
AKA: Todd Ferrante
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2011
ToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
In my opinion, G05 suggests that this strategy was intentionally allowed.
Completely agree.
video channel
Triple Helix mobile
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:47 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
Completely agree.
Same.

However, I strongly disagree with Joe G. This is NOT a "Flat Field". There are 4x 2cm tall bumps dividing the central part of the field into quarters, and there's a pair of big ol' platforms. Any team designing for a flat field is going to be hurtin'...

I do think this should be a Q&A, to confirm this was intentionally left open.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM
FIRST? What's SECOND?
AKA: Anish De
no team
Team Role: Alumni

anishde will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G. View Post
I would agree, the fairly fixed robot size limits help enable this. I think a double ramp bot + capability to deliver cubes to the exchange is a very viable strategy.
The double ramps are interesting but extremely tricky given that the frame perimeter extension is only 16", while it was infinite in the Home Zone in 2007 when it was last commonly used.

------------------------------------------------------------
2015-2018: Team 5123 (The Mechadogs - Yonkers, NY)
------------------------------------------------------------
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Finalists
2017 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2016 New York City Regional Dean's List Finalist Award
2016 New York City Regional Entrepreneurship Award

Last edited by anishde : 01-06-2018 at 06:54 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Knock-off Dr. Strange
AKA: inkling16
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish SCALE would have been defined in the glossary.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 06:48 PM
mechanical engineer
AKA: Todd Ferrante
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2011
ToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
I really wish SCALE would have been defined in the glossary.
It's defined in section 3.3: "The SCALE features an arm, RUNGS, PLATES, OUTRIGGERS, PLATFORMS, and TOWER." Of special note is that the platforms are included in the list of components which comprise the scale.
video channel
Triple Helix mobile

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: