Go to Post My students want me to confirm if they're only allowed one submission per team? (Apparently they've gotten a sudden wave on linguistic inspiration...) - Siri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Student Mentor
AKA: Michael Cao
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
mikexcao is a glorious beacon of lightmikexcao is a glorious beacon of lightmikexcao is a glorious beacon of lightmikexcao is a glorious beacon of lightmikexcao is a glorious beacon of light
[FRC Blog] FIRST TV and IRI Coverage

Posted on the FRC Blog, 7/12/2018: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...v-iri-coverage

Quote:
FIRST TV and IRI Coverage
Written by Frank Merrick.

FIRST TV
I’m pretty excited! Check out some photos I took just yesterday in a little-used corner of FIRST HQ here in Manchester, NH:

Ooooh, shiny! I think this is going to be the room with all the knobs and buttons.

Does it look like we’re in the process of building a TV studio? It’s because we’re in the process of building a TV studio. Our first broadcast will be at 7 PM ET, this coming Tuesday, July 17th. You can tune in to this broadcast on our Twitch channel.

For this broadcast, our own Michelle Long, Alumni Relations Manager, will be hosting. And for our guest, we picked someone extremely knowledgeable about FIRST, who has lots of great stories, is witty and engaging and fun and personable. Unfortunately, that person couldn’t make it, so you’re stuck with me*. But we’re still going to try to make it interesting. I may have props! And, we’re going to be announcing a fun season-related contest at the end of the show. Will the contest include clues to the season? No, but we’re confident some of you will find clues buried in the announcement regardless.

Tune in here on Tuesday at 7 PM!

IRI Coverage
We’re also covering the well-known and loved Indiana Robotics Invitational (IRI) off-season event on Twitch. About 70 top teams from the USA, Canada, and Mexico will be playing FIRST POWER UP (maybe with a few rules modifications) and delivering what is sure to be some exciting gameplay.

RoboSports Network (RSN) will be providing game analysis and DeeJay Knight will be doing live interviews. Tune in here 9 AM to 6 PM ET on Friday, July 13, and 8 AM to 4 PM on Saturday, July 14th.

Frank

*Hey, I get it. No one is more disappointed than I am. It’s like someone offering you a free slice of pizza, and you get excited, and then it turns out to be one of those bogus ‘white’ pizzas.
2015 - 2018: Team 4150 (VP, Business, Programming)
Website | Github | Email

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.

Last edited by mikexcao : 07-12-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: formatting
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] FIRST TV and IRI Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexcao View Post
Does it look like we’re in the process of building a TV studio? It’s because we’re in the process of building a TV studio.
FIRST, you refuse to give us anything usable when it comes to Einstein Videos and refuse to post the quad views for all the events you hosted to a proper site to watch, yet you're creating an online "TV Station?"

If this goes anything like the Houston stream did on the front page of Twitch, this is going to be very painful, and I do not have high hopes for this.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 04:59 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey, I get it. No one is more disappointed than I am. It’s like someone offering you a free slice of pizza, and you get excited, and then it turns out to be one of those bogus ‘white’ pizzas.

Woooooaah there, are you saying that white pizzas are bogus? There is no better pizza than a pizza with only garlic and olive oil as sauce.

Also, if we are trusting FIRST to provide coverage of IRI, my hopes aren't exactly sky high. Please, don't run this like the Houston Einstein streams. Take note of what the folks at TRI did right this year.

Last edited by deslusionary : 07-12-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 05:07 PM
AKA: Kevin Swift's Biggest Fan
FRC #0910 (The Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
lcraig910 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
Woooooaah there, are you saying that white pizzas are bogus? There is no better pizza than a pizza with only garlic and olive oil as sauce.

Also, if we are trusting FIRST to provide coverage of IRI, my hopes aren't exactly sky high. Please, don't run this like the Houston Einstein streams. Take note of what the folks at TRI did right this year.
They aren’t covering, they’re hosting it on the official FIRST twitch page, just like last year.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcraig910 View Post
They aren’t covering, they’re hosting it on the official FIRST twitch page, just like last year.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2003
Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all, this is Francis from Gamesense (RSN), the people covering IRI with FIRST. I think you're going to love the show we've put together tomorrow. I hope you all watch it and enjoy it, like all the other RSN events we've broadcast over the years.

DeejayKnight and the folks at FIRST who are we are collaborating with have been awesome, and I think they're going to add a lot to the event. Also, don't forget about the AV crew here in the venue who are stellar, and will be providing all the camera views like any other Indiana event.

I'm going to be very frank. Can you guys take a chill pill on the instantaneous negativity for something you don't know about? I was disappointed about Houston Einstein, and I was there, as part of the video crew. Ask me about it in PMs if you're interested. There's a lot of things that are different between the closing ceremony of the Championship at a professional baseball or football stadium, and running an in-house TV studio or covering IRI.

We've got a lot of dedicated and talented people working on this event who are all passionate about FIRST. I hope to see you in the chat tomorrow!

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || Director of Fun for BattleCry@WPI
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
no team (BDR)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

White pizza is like glorified garlic bread. There is nothing wrong with white pizza as an appetizer.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: #BeTheBest
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Do the white pizzas come with blue and red ones as well?

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Is white pizza really pizza? We know white chocolate isn't chocolate.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:31 PM
no team (Volunteer)

MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis-134 View Post
I'm going to be very frank. Can you guys take a chill pill on the instantaneous negativity for something you don't know about?

...There's a lot of things that are different between the closing ceremony of the Championship at a professional baseball or football stadium, and running an in-house TV studio or covering IRI.
Given the track record, I think im okay with not having the best of hopes for this. I would love to be proven wrong, but as far as ive seen the only thing that's been proven wrong is how much hope I should have in AV improvements both during and after events, or anything in relation to the "Making it Loud" initiative that FIRST loves to push, yet fails to do themselves.

I look forward to the IRI Coverage Francis. Ive said it before on here, I was blown away by it at Champs. That should of been what was on the front page of Twitch all weekend during Champs, and not what was actually there.

Join the FRC Discord!

Volunteer
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:33 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
If this goes anything like the Houston stream did on the front page of Twitch, this is going to be very painful, and I do not have high hopes for this.
It'll be like Kickoff, except instead of getting a new game at the end it just ends.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:49 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I may have props!
What about... prop bets? Should we do those for IRI next year?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Given the track record, I think im okay with not having the best of hopes for this. I would love to be proven wrong, but as far as ive seen the only thing that's been proven wrong is how much hope I should have in AV improvements both during and after events, or anything in relation to the "Making it Loud" initiative that FIRST loves to push, yet fails to do themselves.

I look forward to the IRI Coverage Francis. Ive said it before on here, I was blown away by it at Champs. That should of been what was on the front page of Twitch all weekend during Champs, and not what was actually there.
Let's review what's different here.

1) There is no event happening when the Michelle & Frank Show is airing. There are no distractions, no fires to be put out, no grass-walkers to banish, no shady people with Galaxy Nexus phones, none of that.

2) I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but FIRST Place--the whole building--is smaller than Minute Maid Park. This studio they're building, even smaller. Unless they do some really weird segment, there's no FMS display to chroma-key into place, nor is there a chance of foghorns. Barring drastic issues that would hose any stream, this broadcast will come down to the hosting and talking skills of Michelle and Frank--and having spent Houston Einstein next to the former and having hung around the latter on a couple occasions (plus his own streamed interviews), I have zero cause for alarm.

3) Even beyond whatever professional resources FIRST dedicates to this effort, there are enough streamers in their orbit for me to know they know who they can call for input. Multiple FRC staff members have been on RSN and FUN shows, RSN is who they call up for #FIRSTChampLive (and they kill it), Libby Kamen-Drost is a well-seasoned streamer herself, etc etc etc.

4) This is not Championship. I would be surprised if they leaned on Twitch for any particular promotional help for anything short of their signature events.

Like Francis said, I'm going to come into this with an open mind and we'll see how things go after the first round.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 08:15 PM
no team (Volunteer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
Let's review what's different here.

1) There is no event happening when the Michelle & Frank Show is airing. There are no distractions, no fires to be put out, no grass-walkers to banish, no shady people with Galaxy Nexus phones, none of that.

2) I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but FIRST Place--the whole building--is smaller than Minute Maid Park. This studio they're building, even smaller. Unless they do some really weird segment, there's no FMS display to chroma-key into place, nor is there a chance of foghorns. Barring drastic issues that would hose any stream, this broadcast will come down to the hosting and talking skills of Michelle and Frank--and having spent Houston Einstein next to the former and having hung around the latter on a couple occasions (plus his own streamed interviews), I have zero cause for alarm.

3) Even beyond whatever professional resources FIRST dedicates to this effort, there are enough streamers in their orbit for me to know they know who they can call for input. Multiple FRC staff members have been on RSN and FUN shows, RSN is who they call up for #FIRSTChampLive (and they kill it), Libby Kamen-Drost is a well-seasoned streamer herself, etc etc etc.

4) This is not Championship. I would be surprised if they leaned on Twitch for any particular promotional help for anything short of their signature events.

Like Francis said, I'm going to come into this with an open mind and we'll see how things go after the first round.
Billfred, my point is FIRST has been off the mark when it comes to these types of things and im weary of another thing coming in to just leave in a couple years, not that its automatically bad.

Frankly, I feel that the money put to this could of been put to better streaming capabilities at events, as there are still many that either are behind softwalls without archives or streams at substandard resolutions and never get archived due to the platform used.

Join the FRC Discord!

Volunteer
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Wearer of Steve Kaneb's face
AKA: Alex
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the H.E.R.D.)

Rookie Year: 2006
Steve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to beholdSteve Kaneb is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Steve Kaneb

Quote:
Billfred, my point is FIRST has been off the mark when it comes to these types of things and im weary of another thing coming in to just leave in a couple years, not that its automatically bad.

Frankly, I feel that the money put to this could of been put to better streaming capabilities at events, as there are still many that either are behind softwalls without archives or streams at substandard resolutions and never get archived due to the platform used.
https://m.twitch.tv/firstinspires2/profile?desktop-redirect=offline_channel
https://m.twitch.tv/firstinspires4/p...ffline_channel

I'm not here to help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: