OCCRA
Go to Post what would we do without brandon? - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:46 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This was not funny and a lot of people here got
very upset by the news.

I second the vote to ban!
If that is the consensus of the FIRST community, then I agree to abide by it.

Quote:
And I enoyed the prank. Good job Joe Ross! I will be very wary come April 1st now, though
April 1st is too obvious

Quote:
We all had a good laugh, but some people got mad at Dr. Joe for it. I guess this is one of the not-the-best-thing-you-can-learn-from-Dr.Joe... A bad tradition to pass on I suppose.
here is Dr. Joe's thread: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ohnson+em ail

I should have learned the first time... It's amazing how things come back to you really quickly.

Quote:
Nice work, though. I just hope FIRST doesn't have to do to much work answering angry emails...
I honestly hope so too. That was not the intent of this, in the least.

Quote:
What a great joke... think that it distracts from the overall role of FIRST....
that's so hilarious
There are people that think that. I don't personally, but there have been discussions about it on these forums before.

Quote:
absolutely brilliant- just don't do it again.
I can guarantee that I won't

Quote:
-dave

p.s. I just hope your team never needs any more funding from NASA/JPL...
How come no one informed me that a team in Rochester, NY could get funding from JPL? Oh, well, there goes that opportunity

Quote:
You can always tell the oldest; they are the only ones cruel enough to try somethin like that
ouch

Quote:
BTW Joe, there are a few BeachBots who are still wondering whether to be mad at you for involving us or not. Personally I take the position that there is no such thing as bad publicity, just be sure you spell the name right.
wait, did I misspell a name somewhere?

Quote:
Yeah you got me good, when I saw it @ 6am I almost wet myself.
That was not something I needed to know.

Quote:
I find it extremely rude... if Cornell is somehow affected by this and it acts negatively upon our team, I'd like some words with the [edit]person[/edit] who thought this was funny.
You may come visit me. I will be in Rochester (about an hour away from you) starting Nov. 30th. If anyone else would like to have a personal word with me, I will be in LA until then. You can also contact me via AIM, or e-mail, both of which are listed.

To all the people who were affected by this, I am sorry. I truly did not expect for this to have the impact that it did. It was meant to be an innocent joke, and unfortunately, it was blown way beyond what I thought it would. I have apologized to FIRST.

Once the cat is out of the bag, it isn't possible to get it back in, at least not without sustaining injury.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:52 AM
\: |
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
I know I'm just repeating what others have already said, and I also know that I was not at all adversely affected by the joke, but I thought it was good.

Don't let this steal your sense of humor, Joe.

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:56 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Retired -- 2006
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Bill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond repute
No worries Joe. I thought it was funny as hell. I was laughing hard for 5-10 minutes after I read the frantic replies . No need for you to sweat it if people can't take a good hoax/joke like this (or fall for the phoney url). Take it easy dude.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Mentor Emeritus
AKA: Matthew Bays
FRC #1523 (M.A.R.S.)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1999
BaysianLogik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BaysianLogik
It was a hoax

don't worry, it was a hoax. I was fooled too
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 09:23 AM
n.e.r.d #6
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Jon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was funny. Of course I knew it was fake because I went to the FIRST site and saw the official note before I came here on Thursday.

I vote that we let Joe stay.

Alumnus of FLL 2000 ~ Alumnus of FRC173 2002-2005 ~ Mentor of FRC173 2006-2007 ~ Mentor of FRC 3780 2014
FIRST Volunteer since 2003
Manufacturing Manager
AndyMark, Inc.
http://www.andymark.com
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody who got to the end of the announcement and clicked the 'more info here' link shouldn't have been fooled by it.

Anyway, as Mr. Aubry said -- check the forum ... RUMOR mill = not necessarily true.
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:02 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody who got to the end of the announcement and clicked the 'more info here' link shouldn't have been fooled by it.

Anyway, as Mr. Aubry said -- check the forum ... RUMOR mill = not necessarily true.
I emailed the link to team and others before checking the more info, then quickly emailed the more info link which didn't work for our members, so unbeknowst to me the hoax was still being spread by word over the next days.

I was reeling for the evening. It had sunk deep into my head that there wouldn't be a championship. Can't say I was thrilled about the hoax, but boy do I admire the skill and timing.

And, yes, taught me again about checking the subject of the forum, checking that the link truly is what the words say it is...

*shrug* good lessons all around.

motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:42 PM
#0330 (Beach Bot)

Tom F. is an unknown quantity at this point
BeachBot, Team 330 Hoax Response

Trustworthy Engineers and Trustworthy Engineering
November 17, 2002

The prank instigated by Joe Ross has just about run its course and it is time to reflect on some of the lessons learned from episodes like these. As the leader of BeachBots, Team 330, I am sorry and apologize that one of our past team members caused this mess.
Engineers have been given a great responsibility by society to provide the buildings and machines that we all use in our daily life. In many cases, our lives depend on the successful operation of these machines, e.g. airplanes, cars, buses, etc. In general, the people that use these machines have little insight into how they work but trust that they will. This trust is based on a past history of successful use.
In the brave new world of the World Wide Web, a few people know about the inner workings of web page design, how URLs work, use of html, etc. The great majority of users look at the web browser as a window to the web and knows little more about its inner workings. Someone with superior knowledge of web mechanics can devise a hoax that can fool other members of the community. Our natural inclination is to trust the word of others and behave accordingly. If the messenger has been trustworthy in the past then the message is more believable.
This is what makes the prank so sad. As an engineering manager with 28 years of engineering experience, I look for trustworthy engineers. I base recommendations to launch satellites on the recommendations of my employees. The outcome of anything less than the best possible effort causes a satellite to land in the ocean. There is no room for practical jokes or hoaxes in my business. I suspect that there is no room for them in any other engineering field either. As engineers, the coin of the realm is trust. We must tell the truth all the time and we must not lead others astray.
The motto of FIRST is gracious professionalism. Its value is to show what energy, skill and knowledge can accomplish. My job is to represent the values of my profession to those students involved in FIRST who are considering engineering as a career. To be a successful engineer you must tell the truth and be trustworthy. I know of no other way to be truly successful.

Tom Freitag, Leader
BeachBots, Team 330
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
17 awesome years of FRC!
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Meh. Give him a break. It's also been on this board that there was going to be a water playing field, that there will be no seat-saving, and even the location of regionals has been questioned.

A) Don't believe everything you see or hear.

I don't think we should ban any kid for playing a prank in a thread called RUMOR MILL from FIRST. Dean or Woodie... personally, I think they'd get a good laugh out of this.

Just laugh at yourself for falling for it, and next time, don't be so quick to run off and spread the rumors.

Fooled just as much as everyone else,
Amanda

Alumna - Teams 71, 1020, 1720, 148, 1296
Working to make sure all FRC students learn the beauty and benefit of communication skills to ensure their future success. Want help editing your awards submissions? Click here.

Last edited by Amanda Morrison : 11-17-2002 at 05:01 PM.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
I didn't care to read all these replies, but the @ symbol in the address doesn't make it a usfirst.org site. I hope people didn't read that and believe it to be true.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Joe - from one prankster to another, well done. You left just enough clues for the observant few to catch on. Half of the rest appreciate a good joke (even when they are on the receiving end). The other half are ticked off because they were caught falling for it. They will get over it.

-dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Always tale your work seriously.

Never take yourself seriously.
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-18-2002, 12:32 PM
D.J. Fluck

Anyone who has the intelligence and brilliance to pull off something like that and cause mass chaos in the FIRST community deserves special recognition...

Iíve been referred to as the prankster of my family (Iím the oldest, go figure ), but I never could have come up with something so brilliant....

like Dave said, they will get over it...heck Iím already over it, and so should everyone else. It was a "harmless" prank, I donít think it killed or injured anyone (besides their ego's, for falling for it) so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

If I had the chance to pull something of that magnitude off, heck I would do it.

Get your butt back here, cause Joe must not go!

-D.J.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: