OCCRA
Go to Post Once you get to college, remember that FRC is not your life anymore (or at least it doesn't have to be). Don't be afraid to try new things, and branch away from the things you swear by in high school - buildmaster5000 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #241   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
UAH Class of 2019
FRC #3397 (Robolions)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Walter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 Game?

What if the game has to do with landing on Mars? There could be an autonomous where you have to get your robot to a certain part of the playing field (landing on Mars) to score points. The field could simulate rough terrain and be, well, rough. To score you could maybe have to move different pieces to different parts of the field to score (2005ish). The end game could be moving your robot to a different part of the field, but this one would be harder to get to than the rest of the field (Up a ramp? In a pit? UNDERWATER?!?!?! The possibilities are endless!) I think that an unconventional field could be fun!

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)
Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.
FLL Referee (2012-Present)

2014 Gateway Robotics Challenge winners (With 2481 and 1985)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed
I am the guy in the golden hat, say "Hi!" to me at WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
  #242   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
Yup, so we don't have to shell out exorbitant amount of cash for those practice fields!
That. and having to store the thing...
  #243   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Dare greatly
AKA: 1640 coach 2010-2014
FRC #2641 (PCCR; Refs & RIs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedLover96 View Post
What if the game has to do with landing on Mars? There could be an autonomous where you have to get your robot to a certain part of the playing field (landing on Mars) to score points. The field could simulate rough terrain and be, well, rough. To score you could maybe have to move different pieces to different parts of the field to score (2005ish). The end game could be moving your robot to a different part of the field, but this one would be harder to get to than the rest of the field (Up a ramp? In a pit? UNDERWATER?!?!?! The possibilities are endless!) I think that an unconventional field could be fun!
If they were modeling it after Curiosity--which is a cool idea--I'd lean towards a "climb an mountain" endgame. (king of the hill?) The rough surface for all/a lot of the field is worrying though: sounds expensive, at least for those of us practicing on the same tile, gym floor or donated carpet every year. (Plus people would dislike it just because it resembles the L-word.)

The idea is an intriguing one, though. It seemed to me that the GDC was talking about turning more seriously/permanently to straightforward, fast-paced sports in order to increase "spectator friendliness" and answer the perennial "ok, but why bother to [stack tetras, hang tubes, drag trailera] in the first place?" question. But the idea of mimicking to some laymen-appreciable extent an impressive scientific feat, while still maintaining an interesting, friendly, strategic, everything-a-good-FRC-game-has-to-be game is really very cool, if it's possible.

My money's still on footballs.
  #244   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Always Scouting
AKA: James Comstock
FRC #0179 (The Children of The Swamp)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2006
MARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MARS_James

Quote:
What if the game has to do with landing on Mars? !
But what if us and 2614 don't want to be landed on
  #245   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
UAH Class of 2019
FRC #3397 (Robolions)

Walter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
rough surface for all/a lot of the field is worrying though: sounds expensive, at least for those of us practicing on the same tile, gym floor or donated carpet every year. (Plus people would dislike it just because it resembles the L-word.)
What if it is tiled rough terrain? Each tile would be the same, and then they would give you some in your KOP. Then you wouldn't have to have an entire floor of terrain, just the tiles that you got. And then you could practice on them!

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)
Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.
FLL Referee (2012-Present)

2014 Gateway Robotics Challenge winners (With 2481 and 1985)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed
I am the guy in the golden hat, say "Hi!" to me at WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
  #246   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Dare greatly
AKA: 1640 coach 2010-2014
FRC #2641 (PCCR; Refs & RIs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
What if it is tiled rough terrain? Each tile would be the same, and then they would give you some in your KOP. Then you wouldn't have to have an entire floor of terrain, just the tiles that you got. And then you could practice on them!
Certainly better than buying regolith sheets! But again, it's less about having whole floors available and more about supplying 2,500 driving surfaces that are noticeably rough (but meet all other requirements) -- somebody's paying for it, whether there's samples in the KOP or not. It's an interesting game design challenge.

Just issue everyone triangular wheels (or cover the floor with really big corn kernels)
  #247   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Robots For All
AKA: noops
FRC #1648
Team Role: Engineer

Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
Just issue everyone triangular wheels (or cover the floor with really big corn kernels)
everyone will be screaming in torment, saying "Wasn't Regolith an Lunacy wheels enough?!?!?"
  #248   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking up some trends, and since 1996 (the year before the first game not involving balls), every game in an even-numbered year has included a ball as a main game piece and every game in an odd-numbered year has not*, bar 2001, which is widely considered the worst FRC game ever. We all know the GDC loves bucking trends, but will they dare to break this pattern again? I doubt it....

* and 2009, but those orbit balls weren't really "balls", right?

Does anyone else remember when TBA signatures actually worked?
  #249   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
FRC #5413 (Stellar Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Orion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to beholdOrion.DeYoe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechCenter View Post
Seeing as the just had a couple of shooting games and another racking game, I think they're going back to a stacking game.
Yes this is my opinion as well. I think the chances of having a stacking game are pretty high (unless they do something very unexpected and unique) and I would really like to see them do one.
  #250   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Commander Canada
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)
Team Role: Mentor

Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion.DeYoe View Post
Yes this is my opinion as well. I think the chances of having a stacking game are pretty high (unless they do something very unexpected and unique) and I would really like to see them do one.
I'd be okay with this as long as it has nothing to do with Stack Attack. Though I never played it, it kind of looked awful to me in terms of scoring complication.

I'm going to go brush up on active drive systems, and linear lift systems.

-Nick

Alumnus of 1503 Spartonics
Founding Mentor of 5406 Celt-X
Lead Mechanical Design Mentor of 3940 CyberTooth
Emceeing events since 2013 - come say hi!

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #251   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Physics Major
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really hoping for tetras. An arm/elevator will be almost a sure deal, after a game that didn't require them. As always, an awesome drive train will be required to do well.

You heard it here first folks. The robot will definitely need wheels and will probably have an arm.

-Plutarch
  #252   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)

bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lawrence View Post
I'd be okay with this as long as it has nothing to do with Stack Attack. Though I never played it, it kind of looked awful to me in terms of scoring complication.

I'm going to go brush up on active drive systems, and linear lift systems.

-Nick
From what I've read, there turned out to be very little complexity at all because, since stacks were way too easy to knock over, no one actually built them. I'm not usually a big fan of the kinds of anti-defense rules FIRST has used lately, but maybe they would have helped that game or one like it...

Does anyone else remember when TBA signatures actually worked?
  #253   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
AKA: Daniel Lopez
FRC #4091 (Team Drift)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
Freeloder123 is an unknown quantity at this point

where do you find the speech ?
  #254   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

No game piece could be more shamelessly recycled than the tetra. On top of that, what new stuff can you really do with it? A mashup of Frenzy with odd game pieces could be entertaining. I like the idea of "physical challenges" the robot has to perform on an object to pull itself up, stack other robots, or balance itself as the endgame portion. They could theme it to a mission to Mars where your alliance has to collect resources of various shapes, sizes and values into 2 of your alliance's movable bins, and doing something like putting the bin on your robot gives you bonus/multiplier points. 2 bots balancing one bin each receives x points, one bot balancing two bins earns y, and spilling your bin earns you a z penalty.

(Doesn't this work better in the Rumor Mill?)

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #255   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM
FRC Data Nerd
AKA: Anthony Jennings
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

PVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
(Doesn't this work better in the Rumor Mill?)
I think this thread has become such a staple on CD every year that no one has a problem with it being in the general forum.
An incredible four years I will never forget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: