OCCRA
Go to Post I guess this means we have to work on becoming super-flexible and always be ready for our close-ups at robotics from now on? - Beth Sweet [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization > Fundraising
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 08:43 PM

Rookie Year: 2000
AdamT is on a distinguished road
So now that we have the forum...

OK, so now that Brandon has greatfully given us this forum, here is what I would like to know...

1) Where does the money come from on your team?
2) If it's corparate sponsor, who got that sponsor? Was it students asking the company or parents/mentors?
3)If it's not corparate, what type of events have you done?

I'll start out for my team:

1) We've got none.
2) We used to get money from NASA, but no more from them. Most everything before last year was done by mentors and parents.
3)We've gone to the lengths of selling fudge.

Our best fundraising project (that any team, anywhere can do) is that we advertised to all our local school's teachers and to as many people as we could, and we did a yard clean up. You have a set fee for the labor (different for different activities and sizes of yards) and you charge them for mulch if they want it and you do mulching and de-thatching and all sorts of yard work. Every penny above the mulch money is profit!

Anyone else?

*If you don't know what dethatching is, I'll post a picture from our event and explain it....*

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 08:58 PM
D.J. Fluck

1. Delphi graciously gives us a certain amount of money and the rest is done by student fundraising

2. N/A

3. The student fundraising we do consists of several things:

* Discount Cards (Local buisnesses give offers like 15% off bill at local restraunt, money off golfing at loca course, discounts on video rentals, etc.)

* Candy (Name a team that doesnt do that)

* Valentines day candygrams- This is a popular one that we do around valentines day each year where people pay for a card and they put a message to someone and there are several levels, like a small card with a lolly-pop, a large card with a lolly pop and then a large card with a carnation flower and lolly-pop...well they leave the card, message, and money with us, and we go and deliver them on valentines day during the study hall hour.....that makes quite a bit of money there

*Raffles- This year our school board gave us permission to sell raffle tickets where the grand prize was a laptop, then next prizes were certificates to the mall. Expensive at first, but if you charge 5 dollars a ticket, you could make quite a bit...

Im sure clark will add a few more but that gives a basic idea of what we do
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 09:11 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
1) The money used to come from nasa but no more. We know this guy who owns a machine shop who helps us out with the tricky parts we can't make ourselves.
2)We've never had ask for sponsorships before now. Now 2 students including myself are writing letters and making phone calls.
3)A car wash got us about $200 and a restaurant fundraising night got us $110.

I have the perfect idea for a fundraiser but the school would never let us do it. Get an old or cheap small bench grinder and mount it on a table. Have this table out where everybody spends their lunch/snack time. Get a large steel pipe (or several smaller ones). Charge $2 per turn for kids to make an array of sparks for 15 seconds or so. They would love it and it would sure attract attention.

Man, they don't even let us do raffles.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 09:13 PM
n.e.r.d #6
no team

Jon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond repute
United Technologies Research Center is our main sponsor, Some smaller ones arenerac.com(some money and some other stuff that i dont know really know about but others on my team could explain), Manafort Brothers Construction(money) and C.B. Richard Ellis Reality (who donates the use of our practice facility). I am not sure how we got any of our sponors. 02 season was my first year but i know that research was involved from the beginning of our team 8 years ago 02 season. For student fundraising this season we did pie sales a spaggetti supper and entertainment books.

() represent the donation

Alumnus of FLL 2000 ~ Alumnus of FRC173 2002-2005 ~ Mentor of FRC173 2006-2007 ~ Mentor of FRC 3780 2014
FIRST Volunteer since 2003
Manufacturing Manager
AndyMark, Inc.
http://www.andymark.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 09:26 PM

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like a lot of people are selling pie. What's the deal with pie anyway, like how much can you make profit-wise? Personally I don't even like pie except for the completely artificial sugar coated Hostess apple pies.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Political Junkie
AKA: Kerry Girl
#0691 (Hart Burn)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Kristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Finally, a forum where I can share my forté

1. We were fortunate enough to get $10,000 in sponsorship from HR Textron this year. We were also sponsored by Raytheon, Canyon Engineering, Electrorack, Bimba, and Pneumatic Engineering.
2. These are companies where team members parents worked but we were the ones who wrote the letters and stuff.
3. This is gonna be long. I typed this up on a previous thread and I'm just re-pasting it:

"Well for those who need quick cash (lets say you need an expensive part soon) there's always the bakesales (we made a nice $100 in one day), See's Candy Sales, selling rootbeer floats, and carwashes [we were never so low on cash that we've had to do the last three]. The only problem is that every other club at the school does this.

For more money, it takes a little more preparation. Our big student fundraising event is putting together a dinner, ours is actually next week. All the parents make pasta and one of my teammate's dad is a chef so he makes the sauces. Another dad is big on garlic bread so he just prepares bread like there's no tomorrow. Put some tablecloths on tables in the school's cafeteria, display your robot and show it off by running it around, and put together video clips of your robot...and voila, you got yourself a good fundraiser. We charge $8 a person (team members get in free of course because they're all gonna be working). We give two tickets to the presidents of companies who sponsor us to show our appreciation and they can purchase more tickets if they want their kids or friends to come or something. The kids that our team mentored for lego league are also really eager to come...and so are their parents...and so are our parents...and so are the administration. Tons of people bought tickets just to support us even though they could not attend that day. You get the picture, lots of people = lots of money. Each person has to sell at least 3 tickets. So if I do my math right and everyone sells the bare minimum, our class is making around $1000. Thats about how much money we raised last year and our team was half as small and just a loosly structured club.

Not only is this as great way of making money, its also fun because its like an end of the year wrap up for the team. We get to show off our accomplishments (especially to our sponsors, who are more inclined to donate again once they see their money being put to good use). We also do a little thank you ceremony at the end, to our teacher, mentor, sponsors, and our team captain's parents, whose house we lived in for 6 weeks."

AIM: Doanie8
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 09:54 PM

I believe this is right but don't plan a wedding based on it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The SCRRF (Southern California Regional Robotics Forum) will give $2000 per season to your team if you mentor a rookie team at a nearby school. You have to provide the team you are mentoring with a part time engineer and get them set up with a basic chassis and drive train. This sounds like a good idea but I think this would put a real drag on our own team. I just don't think we have the resources or time to mentor a rookie team.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 10:34 PM
FRC #0041 (Robo-Warriors)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Jim Giacchi will become famous soon enoughJim Giacchi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Jim Giacchi
Sponsors?

We used to be sponsored by Cordis which dumped us in favor of Middlesex. They did give us 15,000+, but no more.

This year we didn't get money from a specific source we kind of gathered resources from several areas. We got The Knotts Co Inc to give unlimited 80/20 parts and pneumatics.
Thermoplastic Processes gave us the use of their Machine shop so we were able to have our student(s) machine our parts.
We had one crazy piroggi lovin machinist.
The rest of the money for the competition came from private donors and a few of our teams members who familys owned businesses that could afford to be generous.

The biggest thing i can suggest is when you need something go to a company who has it and ask for it.
You'd be surprised how well, "I really like your product and I'd like some for free." works.
Also don't write letters or make phonecalls because their to easy to ignore. A well prepared groups of kids with pictures(The Robot Would Best) and a speech is A LOT harder to say no to..

Last edited by Jim Giacchi : 08-08-2002 at 10:40 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2002, 10:49 PM
n.e.r.d #6
no team

Jon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond reputeJon K. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
crazy piroggi lovin machinist
dont be dissing pierogies they are awesome. Plus i make them fresh with my family every year for a traditional Ukrainian meal on Christmas Eve called wulieah(?) i have no clue how to spell that so dont ask but pierogie are the best stuff on earth especially when they are fresh or frozen just as long as they are homeade beacuse then you can make them with whatever you want in them mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... pierogies i think i want some now

Alumnus of FLL 2000 ~ Alumnus of FRC173 2002-2005 ~ Mentor of FRC173 2006-2007 ~ Mentor of FRC 3780 2014
FIRST Volunteer since 2003
Manufacturing Manager
AndyMark, Inc.
http://www.andymark.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 01:11 AM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Mentor

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.
We get our main entry fee of $5k from Quest Technologies, our main sponsor, and they also give us engineers and a place to build.

The rest (approx $27K this past season) comes from other compaines and our fundraising. This last season we sold pizzas, candy bars (too many...lol) and had a raffle, cleaned windows, and just took donations.

We hope to find another main financial sponsor soon, and maybe hit 2 regionals next year. You never know....
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 09:53 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
How does anyone get a company to sponsor you a large amount of money. Our largest sponsor is $5,000, and we only have one of those large sponsors, the rest give between $25 and $1,000. Our sponsor that gives us the $5,000 is the group that startes FIRST in NE Pennsylvania. They now have 3 teams here, and give each of us the money to attend one competition.

What are suggestions of getting out $25 sponsors to give $100, and our $1,000 sponsors to give us $5,000?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Robogeek
no team
Team Role: College Student

Gui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Gui Cavalcanti
My advice for getting large pay-off companies is to not target the small stuff. Talking to companies like Ed's Machine Shop or Shoes of Richmond is not going to get you large amounts of money, because they don't have it to give. To larger, national or international companies, $10k might seem like a drop in the bucket and a worthy tax return. Remember to tell everyone you know that investing in FIRST is a tax deductible expense!

What we do to get more money is to assign dollar values to things. For instance, we might say this year that to have your name and logo on all of our advertisements to the community, we need at least $10k. To have your corporation's name incorporated into our own at competitions, we need at least $5k. To have your logo and name on our robot, we need $2.5k. To have your logo and name on our team shirt, we need $1k, etc. etc. etc.

This may seem a bit harsh, but if you really need money I say go for it.

All-Purpose College Mentor with a Mechanical Specialty

Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Class of 2008
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:02 AM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
I believe this is right but don't plan a wedding based on it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The SCRRF (Southern California Regional Robotics Forum) will give $2000 per season to your team if you mentor a rookie team at a nearby school. You have to provide the team you are mentoring with a part time engineer and get them set up with a basic chassis and drive train. This sounds like a good idea but I think this would put a real drag on our own team. I just don't think we have the resources or time to mentor a rookie team.
Actually it's Kliener, Perkins, Caufield & Byers that are putting up the money. Right now it's an experiment for California (or maybe West Coast) teams only. This is because while CA has more teams competing than any other state, we also have one of the lowest participation rates of any state. Probably because something like 12% of the high school students in the entire country live here. This was announced at the San Jose regional.

For those of you in the right area, you will be able to mentor up to two teams for the grant. (That's $2K EACH or up to $4K.) Last time I talked to Jason Morrella, he said they were working to define just what would be required of a mentor team. Once they figured that out they would get the word out on how to apply etc.

As for mentoring a team, actually most teams could probably do this. We typically have one of our adults as the primary contact for our mentee teams. This person talks with the adults on the other team and helps them decide on how they want to set things up. They don't need to know all of the answers, they just have to know who on your team has the answer to the question at hand.

We also invite mentee teams to our early brainstorming meetings. But not to the ones where we pick our operational concept, they need to do that for themselves. Besides we might want to keep that a secret for a while.

Technical support is provided on an as needed basis. The team we mentored this year was very strong electrically, but needed help with things like picking gear ratios and getting better traction. I spent many hours on the phone with their head engineer, but the time also helped me think about issues our team was dealing with. Besides, it just so happened that he was a friend from college.

One thing we stressed was that "If you can move and the kids are having a good time, you are successful" To be honest alot of it is just handholding and providing visibility of things that will come up later. It is very hard to imagine what things will be like at a major competition if you haven't been to one.

"Who is John Galt?"
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:29 PM
#0343 (Metal in Motion)

robomama is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to robomama
[quote]Originally posted by weedie

What are suggestions of getting out $25 sponsors to give $100, and our $1,000 sponsors to give us $5,000? [quote]

thank them for last year's contribution and then give a reason for the request you will be making. our costs are going up; we have many more team members; we would like to attend another regional.
THEN ASK FOR MORE.

then shut up and let them say yes!!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Political Junkie
AKA: Kerry Girl
#0691 (Hart Burn)
Team Role: Alumni

Kristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
In terms of keeping sponsors, I think its good to keep good relations with them. Here are some of the things are team has done and I'm pretty sure all our sponsors this year are planning on helping out next year.

*Get email addresses and mailing addresses of your company presidents or relations. We send them updates of what are team is up to, accomplishments, and what we need. Usually every few months and then I would send out a weekly update during building season. This allows them to see where their money is going and how much we appreciate it.
*Get your sponsors involved. We invite all our sponsors to the competitions and they love coming to see us compete. We also invited them to our building sessions in the evenings to see our committment outside of the classroom.
*Show your appreciation. We presented each company with a few team tshirts which they all loved. We also invited them to the team dinner and set the last part of it apart for thank yous where we gave them these team collages/plaques saying thanks. Our cake at our dinner even had the names of all the sponsors on it.
*Visit the companies. Yesterday a few teammates and I visited a company to demonstrate the robot to all their workers. We explained the FIRST program, described the game and our achievements this year, and told them how much we learned. They were so impressed to see that would built the whole thing in 6 weeks when their engineering projects take months. We even got a tour and sometimes they would give us food and company products.

These tips have definately taught us a lot of the business world and its not everyday that you see teenagers chatting with presidents of million dollar companies. Through this, a few of my teammates even got internships and jobs at these engineering companies.

AIM: Doanie8

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: