OCCRA
Go to Post You enjoy your pepperoni pizza, I'll enjoy my cheese and peppers, and we can both agree that people that like pineapple on their pizza, while strange... are completely entitled to their opinions. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What do you want to see in the new, unnamed version of Pathfinder?
Better error handling 51 26.70%
Better respect for maximum velocity, acceleration, jerk 83 43.46%
New types of paths 37 19.37%
New types of velocity profiles 39 20.42%
More drive system types (tank, swerve, holo, etc) 41 21.47%
Faster computation 60 31.41%
Easier implementation with vendors (e.g. Talon SRX, NavX) 97 50.79%
More control over waypoints 54 28.27%
Better/more docs 91 47.64%
Better/more examples 80 41.88%
Ability to use in more than just FRC 16 8.38%
Actual "Path Finding" (make the waypoints for me) 52 27.23%
Easier implementation for basic paths 48 25.13%
Other (please comment) 17 8.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM
ytho

Re: getPosition();

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnittin View Post
Our team would like a method to call that would allow us to get current X and Y coordinates of the robot.
To find your current robot position, it would require your team to do odometry and pose estimation. This requires applying forward kinematics principles using values from your encoders and gyro. If you are asking for the robot position on the path itself, you can call getSegment(); on the EncoderFollower object amd then call the getX() and the getY() methods accordingly.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 05:15 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnittin View Post
Our team would like a method to call that would allow us to get current X and Y coordinates of the robot.
For that you may need to do Field-relative positioning through non-linear state estimation.

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do you want to see in Pathfinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
we will jump on that bandwagon as well :-)
Count me in as well... I predict we will see a lot more of the Robotic Operating System (ROS) in FRC robots in the years to come, especially so if RoboRIO sticks around for a few more years, as it is rumoured.

With the addition of the Jetson TX and NavX processors, and the intent for a lot of teams to introduce Arduinos, RaspBerry Pis and BeagleBones into their FRC robots, there will be an increasing need to make all those processors, and the software running on them, communicate with each other.

ROS offers a means of integrating all of the robots functional features into a flexible architecture. Also, many teams will find the many packages already available in the ROS eco-system interesting, and will want to make use of them.

It will make much sense to see a ROS implementation/integration of Pathfinder, IMHO. Otherwise, some teams may find it more interesting to use the ROS Navigation Stack straight "out-of-the-box"...
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

deslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
Count me in as well... I predict we will see a lot more of the Robotic Operating System (ROS) in FRC robots in the years to come, especially so if RoboRIO sticks around for a few more years, as it is rumoured.
This novice programmer will certainly be taking a look at ROS over the summer.

Also, what would an ROS implementation of pathfinder look like? I'm only a little acquainted with how ROS works right now.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
This novice programmer will certainly be taking a look at ROS over the summer.

Also, what would an ROS implementation of pathfinder look like? I'm only a little acquainted with how ROS works right now.
I would suggest you look at the ROS Navigation Stack/Package, and especially the Nav Core and Global Planner.

PathFinder might have to be refactored to fit that ROS Package's architecture.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
For that you may need to do Field-relative positioning through non-linear state estimation.
Hereagain, preaching for ROS, the definition of robot reference frames and conversion from one to the other is an integral part of the ROS Navigation framework. For the sake of this discussion, we are talking about the "base_link", "odom" and "map" reference frames in ROS. ROS provides functions to translate positions from one reference frame to another at all times.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 08:46 PM
How do I software?
FRC #1540 (Flaming Chickens)

EdelmanJ is an unknown quantity at this point

#14 (Max velocity/accel/jerk violated by tank transform) and #36 (TankModifier needs to produce negative velocity for inside wheel on tight curves). These two things alone caused massive issues with our autos. Pretty much nothing else matters to us.

We've also already got an always open source, pretty decent follower that offers integration with Talon SRXs and the NavX, as well as a build system for generating and deploying paths more easily. So those are basically non-issues for us (and any other team who wants to use it.)
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 11:34 PM
WPILib Developer
AKA: Tyler Veness
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2012
calcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdelmanJ View Post
#14 (Max velocity/accel/jerk violated by tank transform) and #36 (TankModifier needs to produce negative velocity for inside wheel on tight curves). These two things alone caused massive issues with our autos. Pretty much nothing else matters to us.

We've also already got an always open source, pretty decent follower that offers integration with Talon SRXs and the NavX, as well as a build system for generating and deploying paths more easily. So those are basically non-issues for us (and any other team who wants to use it.)
The new version of pathfinder addresses the second issue, but I'm not sure about the first. If it isn't implemented yet, it's on the todo list. Things are a lot more mathematically rigorous this time around in general. Also, we've discussed path memoization and deployment internally and have a plan for that. Things will be open-sourced at some point once we decide on some build system details.
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM
How do I software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcmogul View Post
The new version of pathfinder addresses the second issue, but I'm not sure about the first. If it isn't implemented yet, it's on the todo list. Things are a lot more mathematically rigorous this time around in general. Also, we've discussed path memoization and deployment internally and have a plan for that. Things will be open-sourced at some point once we decide on some build system details.
Is the negative velocity stuff #50 or in v2?
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
WPILib Developer
AKA: Tyler Veness
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2012
calcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud ofcalcmogul has much to be proud of

Quote:
Is the negative velocity stuff #50 or in v2?
The new version is in a completely separate repo that hasn't been open-sourced yet.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 01:25 AM
How do I software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcmogul View Post
The new version is in a completely separate repo that hasn't been open-sourced yet.
I see. Why not?
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 02:16 AM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see. Why not?
A lot of the structure of the library is not final. Once it's settled on the direction the library is going, I'll open source it, which shouldn't be too far away.

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Head Mentor
WPILib : Developer

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM
no team

Tabor473 is a glorious beacon of lightTabor473 is a glorious beacon of lightTabor473 is a glorious beacon of lightTabor473 is a glorious beacon of lightTabor473 is a glorious beacon of lightTabor473 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
I would suggest you look at the ROS Navigation Stack/Package, and especially the Nav Core and Global Planner.

PathFinder might have to be refactored to fit that ROS Package's architecture.
As someone who has used ROS quite extensively on VEX competition robots I would suggest once you entered ROS land not to bother trying to put FRC tools into it. I am quite a big fan of this

http://wiki.ros.org/teb_local_planner

based on this paper

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6309484/

for solving for time optimal motion planning of autonomous bases. Has support for a variety of different robot types built in.

PathFinder serves a nice purpose for people looking for a intermediate approach to motion planning for robots.
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2018, 05:21 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)

deslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud of

Will the techniques outlined in this blog post be part of Pathfinder v2?

http://imjac.in/ta/post/2016/12/29/p...-asm-neon.html
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2018, 04:13 AM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
Will the techniques outlined in this blog post be part of Pathfinder v2?

http://imjac.in/ta/post/2016/12/29/p...-asm-neon.html
In a way, yes. Pathfinder v2 is being built on top of the Eigen linear algebra library, which automatically adds SIMD integration on ARM NEON, x86 AVX, and other processor SIMD implementations, if the processor supports them. Pathfinder v2 is very fast compared to the original, and does it without losing cross-platform compatibility.

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Head Mentor
WPILib : Developer

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: