OCCRA
Go to Post Remember that the reason that you do something should NEVER be for the sole purpose of winning an award. To paraphrase something said by one of the Hall of Fame teams: "You should choose to do something because it is fun and the right thing to do." - tim-tim [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 07:34 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute
CAN Debug Tools

Anyone have recommendations on good CAN debug tools for FRC?

I've used Kvaser and Vector products professionally and I know they work well, but were a bit pricy.

I also recently purchased this $25 module from SEEED Studios. Will try to play with it a bit tonight.... but, before I chase my tail too much, anyone have experience working with this yet?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 12:27 PM
AKA: Solomon
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
solomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant future
Re: CAN Debug Tools

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the CANable.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomondg View Post
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the CANable.
You can't buy them at the moment. There are some clones that exist though that are available.

The candlelight firmware based/compatible devices do seem to be the way to go though.
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 01:08 PM
FRC #1818

Rookie Year: 2011
couvillion is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any experience with SparkFun AST-CAN485 Dev Board?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Making the 1's and 0's

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

https://github.com/HubertD/candleLight_fw

Yowza, this is super slick. I suddenly regret my $25 purchase. I'll see where it gets us, but this really seems like the better answer.

Unfortunately, no experience with the sparkfun device yet .
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Kyle
FRC #2481 (Roboteers)

Rookie Year: 2007
kylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to beholdkylelanman is a splendid one to behold

I'm curious what type of problems and things are you wanting to debug? Given the CAN bus is almost entirely managed by CTRE and just works I've not had a reason other than curiosity to sniff it.

Personally:

From a hardware perspective I use https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-USB.199.0.html?&L=1 They are relatively cheap when it comes to CAN tools. As other have pointed out there are much cheaper options. I've recently learned about canable and would like to switch to it. I use PCAN's because they are the tool we have standardized on at work so I have access to them.

From a software perspective I use Jupyter (IPython) Notebooks with Matplotlib and Pandas. This combination allows one to easily explore CAN traces and visualize different signals.

"May the coms be with you"

Is this a "programming error" or a "programmer error"?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Making the 1's and 0's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelanman View Post
I'm curious what type of problems and things are you wanting to debug? Given the CAN bus is almost entirely managed by CTRE and just works I've not had a reason other than curiosity to sniff it.
We got our hands on a piece of non-FRC hardware that we're looking to interface to the RIO over CAN. Experimentation work so far, just barely starting the software work now. The thought was that, at some point, we were going to need to watch the packets going back and forth.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2011
Clayton Yocom has a spectacular aura aboutClayton Yocom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom

When we were first playing around with some CAN stuff at work we used one of the 5$ obd-ii "elm-compatible" devices and telnetting into it to get the data we want.

They are basically just CAN to Serial interpreters that have some processing overtop for common diagnostic frameworks, but you can disable all that and process the raw CAN frames -- albeit not at blazing speeds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: