OCCRA
Go to Post In most cases on FIRST robots, we have more material than in we need in some places and less than we need in others. That single phenomenon is the leading cause of robot failures. - Paul Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM
FRC #0222 (Tigertrons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Scott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Scott L.
Lightbulb Team IP address

I'm looking for vb.net code to convert a team number to the ip network
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Brian Rozmierski
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team IP address

vb.net? Yikes...

In general, it's not difficult.
  1. Convert the team number to a string
  2. If length <= 2, the 2nd octet is "0" and the entirely of the string is the 3rd octet.
  3. If length > 2, take the last 2 characters into the 3rd octet, and the remaining first characters into the 2nd octet.

(Edit)
If you don't know an IPv4 address in the form aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is broken up into 4 octets. (aaa is the 1st octet, bbb the 2nd and so on), so for team 222, 10.2.22.1 (your radio address) the 10 is the first octet, and 2 the 2nd, 22 the 3rd and 1 the 4th. Separate each octet by a period.

Last edited by bdaroz : 06-25-2018 at 09:20 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a way to do it without conditionals: https://github.com/wpilibsuite/ntcor...atcher.cpp#L60
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 11:32 PM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor
AKA: Carlos Gross Jones
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2009
CarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud of

Recognizing that IPs are more conveniently manipulated as integers than dotted-quads:

Code:
Function TeamNetwork(TeamNumber As Long) As Long
        TeamNetwork = &HA000000 Or (((TeamNumber \ 100) << &O20) Or ((TeamNumber Mod 100) << &O10))
End Function
Note: This function doesn't check that team numbers are less than 10000, because the current IP addressing scheme doesn't handle team numbers greater than 9999 anyway.

Note 2: I may have learned the rudiments of VB.NET to create this function.

Note 3: No one should ever use VB.NET.

Note 4: I also learned that vb.net is a perfectly valid domain, and seems like a place to get good deals on computers and accessories in, possibly, Holland.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Programming Mentor
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)

bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute

/agree Carlos

I figured I would go the string route given the request for vb.net and not knowing the level of programming knowledge. Using modulo math might add complexity the op might not be ready for.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 11:18 AM
FRC #0222 (Tigertrons)

Rookie Year: 1998
Scott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Scott L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaroz View Post
vb.net? Yikes...

In general, it's not difficult.
  1. Convert the team number to a string
  2. If length <= 2, the 2nd octet is "0" and the entirely of the string is the 3rd octet.
  3. If length > 2, take the last 2 characters into the 3rd octet, and the remaining first characters into the 2nd octet.

(Edit)
If you don't know an IPv4 address in the form aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is broken up into 4 octets. (aaa is the 1st octet, bbb the 2nd and so on), so for team 222, 10.2.22.1 (your radio address) the 10 is the first octet, and 2 the 2nd, 22 the 3rd and 1 the 4th. Separate each octet by a period.
Thanks. I am working on an off season fms and needed a way to get driver station and robot IP so they could be pinged to verify connection before match start. Vb.net is what I know best having used it for the coding on asp.net websites.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 02:06 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #0612 (Chantilly Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
seg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond reputeseg9585 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosGJ View Post

Note 2: I may have learned the rudiments of VB.NET to create this function.
Plz...Can you post code that performs the same function but in Befunge?

I'm trying to build an FMS over the summer but only with an esoteric language. Thx!

Team 204 Student 2001, 2002 (Voorhees, NJ)
Team 1493 College Mentor 2006 - 2008 (Troy, NY)
Team 2150 Intern/Professional Mentor 2007, 2009 (Palos Verdes)
Team 4123 Lead Engineering Mentor 2012 (Bellflower, CA)
Team 4276 Engineering Mentor 2012-Present (Huntington Beach, CA)
Team 612 Engineering Mentor (Chantilly, VA) Present
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 03:30 PM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor

CarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud ofCarlosGJ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by seg9585 View Post
Plz...Can you post code that performs the same function but in Befunge?

I'm trying to build an FMS over the summer but only with an esoteric language. Thx!
Code:
>"P"8888888*******51g"0"-25**61g"0"-+28"@@"****71g"0"-25**81g"0"-+4"@"**+++.@
Team:1234
Although there are probably more concise ways to do it.

Note: Make sure team number is padded with zeroes, if less than four digits. E.g., 696 should be input as 0696.

Last edited by CarlosGJ : 06-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Left shift and right shift might help.

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Mentor - 1334/1374
FRC #1334 (OT Robotics)

JamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Note: This function doesn't check that team numbers are less than 10000, because the current IP addressing scheme doesn't handle team numbers greater than 9999 anyway.

It actually does, for team 10000 it's 10.100.0.1 - The addressing breaks once you pass team 25599. (10.255.99.1)

25599/100=255
25599%100=99

Though I do admit that past 10k, it's worth investigating IPV6, or a different addressing scheme.

1334/1374 Control Systems Mentor
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSinn View Post
It actually does, for team 10000 it's 10.100.0.1 - The addressing breaks once you pass team 25599. (10.255.99.1)

25599/100=255
25599%100=99

Though I do admit that past 10k, it's worth investigating IPV6, or a different addressing scheme.
IPSec VPNs for everyone!

I'm kidding.... or am I?
Clarke's Laws
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Mentor - 1334/1374
FRC #1334 (OT Robotics)

JamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
IPSec VPNs for everyone!

I'm kidding.... or am I?
I can never tell with you

1334/1374 Control Systems Mentor
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 01:34 PM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSinn View Post

25599/100=255
25599%100=99

Hmm, fair point. Although I believe the reason FRC is pushing hard on mDNS is to decrease IP addressing problems when we finally get 5-digit teams. For my part, I don't see why they don't just let each team's network be a 192.168/24, with NAT between each driver station and the FMS.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Programming Mentor
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)

Quote:
Hmm, fair point. Although I believe the reason FRC is pushing hard on mDNS is to decrease IP addressing problems when we finally get 5-digit teams. For my part, I don't see why they don't just let each team's network be a 192.168/24, with NAT between each driver station and the FMS.
mDNS is the devil. It was bad in 2007, and sketchy in 2006. We opted to go static in 2007 after having problems and never looked back. For us, we're a 1:1 student:computer school, and the computers are generally locked down. Robotics programming kids do get some restrictions lifted, but mDNS has never been reliable on those machines making troubleshooting difficult.

10.TE.AM.xx allows teams to simulate the addressing of competition fairly closely and reduces complexities. If it goes away to something completely dynamic it would not be good.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-28-2018, 08:32 AM
FRC #0868 (TechHOUNDS)

Rookie Year: 2008
aryker is a jewel in the rougharyker is a jewel in the rougharyker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaroz View Post
mDNS is the devil. It was bad in 2007, and sketchy in 2006. We opted to go static in 2007 after having problems and never looked back.
2006 and 2007 used crystal radios for robot communications. Did you mean 2016 and 2017?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: