OCCRA
Go to Post It's a good things we're engineers who regularly squeeze out 'miracles' with a severely limited budget, eh? I think that's an important aspect that we as mentors need to show the students from time to time, and this year is a perfect opportunity. - JesseK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Sensors
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2018, 02:54 PM
FRC #7153

berkdayanir is an unknown quantity at this point
Using srx mag encoder with wcp ss 3 cim gearbox.

Hi,

Does anyone know if itís possible to mount srx mag encoder on the output shaft of wcp ss 3 cim gearbox without modifying it with a metal lathe?

Thanks
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2018, 10:38 PM
The guy with the red pants
AKA: Ryan Lounds
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2015
rlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud of
Re: Using srx mag encoder with wcp ss 3 cim gearbox.

Due to how the WCP SS gearbox is put together, likely not.

In theory if you were to replace the included shaft with a thunderhex shaft (or any other pre-drilled shaft) you could drill the hole wider on one end to support the magnet, and then use a high strength shaft collar of some sort in place of whatever fastener was originally on the back of the shaft.

I'm not sure about how successful that may be as I've never personally been hands on with a WCP SS, but I'm familiar with the product line, I wish you the best of luck.

If you happen to figure something out to use the SRX Mag Encoder with the gearbox, I'd be interested in seeing pictures of it.
2018 Ontario Dean's List Finalist
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM
FRC #3244 (Granite City Gearheads)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold

There is a kit to mount the encoder to the output of the gearbox between the second and third stage. You will need both the SRX kit and Ball shifter Kit.

If your goal is to get it on the wheel axle as of current the common choice is to place it on one of the driven axles. There are hope the CUI will have a through hole encoder out soon but it will likely be in March. To bad the robot will be bagged.

Jumpstart Training Central MN

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2018, 01:57 PM
FRC #1188 (RoboRavens)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2010
Chris Mounts is just really niceChris Mounts is just really niceChris Mounts is just really niceChris Mounts is just really niceChris Mounts is just really nice

Assuming you are asking about this: http://www.wcproducts.net/wcp-ss-gearbox your best option is likely to put the encoder on another driven axle. I assume that was the intent when these were designed. There is no easy way to get an encoder on any of the older WCP gearboxes.

One tip is that you can use a small piece of surgical tubing between a axle shaft and an encoder. This allows you some slop in the offset of centers of the two parts while still getting you pretty good encoder readings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: