OCCRA
Go to Post It truly is a Merry Vexmas! - Ginger Power [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2007
wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC Blog - How We’re Doing and FIRST Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin417 View Post
Shouldn't the fact that there is so much rage this year mean something? In my time participating in FIRST, have never seen so many people that really don't like the game. If everything was truly rainbows and unicorns, there would be a lot fewer dis-satisfied customers.
I think the numbers, no matter how non-scientific they are, say something else. It says there is a vocal minority that does not like the game. Here's what I don't understand about the rage about Frank's data. Everyone seemed to agree that last year's game was a good one (I thought it was inherently boring myself). Frank's data from last year supports the idea that it was a "good" game. Frank pulls out data about this year's game. This data is VERY similar to last year's data. This can't be right. This game is "bad." The data is flawed. How can one set of data be accurate on one hand and another inaccurate if it is the exact same tool that was used to collect that data?

I think folks are upset for another reason, but they are focusing their rage at FIRST, refs, the GDC, "crappy robots that win," "teams that don't read the rules," the RNG. The list goes on and on.

Heck someone said they were tired of hearing "it's not about the robot." Folks need to evaluate their priorities. This rage is misplaced and misguided.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Opinionated old goat
AKA: Martin Wilson
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
martin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmw04 View Post
I think the numbers, no matter how non-scientific they are, say something else. It says there is a vocal minority that does not like the game. Here's what I don't understand about the rage about Frank's data. Everyone seemed to agree that last year's game was a good one (I thought it was inherently boring myself). Frank's data from last year supports the idea that it was a "good" game. Frank pulls out data about this year's game. This data is VERY similar to last year's data. This can't be right. This game is "bad." The data is flawed. How can one set of data be accurate on one hand and another inaccurate if it is the exact same tool that was used to collect that data?

I think folks are upset for another reason, but they are focusing their rage at FIRST, refs, the GDC, "crappy robots that win," "teams that don't read the rules," the RNG. The list goes on and on.

Heck someone said they were tired of hearing "it's not about the robot." Folks need to evaluate their priorities. This rage is misplaced and misguided.
So as IndySam pointed out, a 400% increase in "very poor" ratings means most people like it?
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This tread sounds like some of my students after they get a test back. These students who have not done well and complain that the test was "a bad" test for various reasons. I would then post the range of test scores. They would not be significantly different than the results of the last test. The students would still insist the test is bad or the teacher didn't teach the material properly.

It's amazing how folks can see data right in front of them and still insist their original opinion is that of the majority when it may not be.

So much rage this year. So much misplaced rage.
There is a really bad trap most people fall into, when presented with data they tend to trust it. This is dangerous.

I'd be willing to bet you I could survey folks and get a drastically different answer. Heck, I could do that with the same folks. Furthermore, I could take the exact data and present it in a manner which paints the opposite picture. My point is, just because there's data doesn't mean that the conclusion being painted is the correct one, merely that it is the one we are meant to be seeing.

And before someone jumps down my throat AGAIN. Everyone has an angle. Even this post is meant to make you think one thing while ignoring the opposite opinion. For example, I've conveniently left out any evidence that Frank is an upstanding individual, instead I focused entirely on discrediting the usage of data (visualization) as a method of determining ground truth. Even this statement is here to make you trust that I DON'T have an angle that I'm trying to sell you on, don't be fooled, I do.

#64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Everyone has an angle... Even this statement is here to make you trust that I DON'T have an angle that I'm trying to sell you on, don't be fooled, I do.
Well geez, now I don't know what to think.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
So as IndySam pointed out, a 400% increase in "very poor" ratings means most people like it?
Quote:
And before someone jumps down my throat AGAIN. Everyone has an angle.
Those who find favor with the game think the data is favorable, and those who choose to make even mroe threads listing the same complaints see a sharp increase of negative results. Everyone has an angle. My angle is that the game is a mixed success because it is supposed to serve 3 masters and in the end only serves one well and the other two have vastly varying results.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Physics Major
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, how does this game compare to, say, Lunacy, in everyone's opinion?

-Plutarch
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Commander Canada
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
Just wondering, how does this game compare to, say, Lunacy, in everyone's opinion?
Even in Lunacy, you weren't 100% out of luck if your partners couldn't possess game pieces well.

-Nick

Alumnus of 1503 Spartonics
Founding Mentor of 5406 Celt-X
Lead Mechanical Design Mentor of 3940 CyberTooth
Emceeing events since 2013 - come say hi!

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2007
wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so roughly 1% doesn't like the game. That's roughly 35-40 folks who took the survey. I could totally live with that.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This tread sounds like some of my students after they get a test back. These students who have not done well and complain that the test was "a bad" test for various reasons. I would then post the range of test scores. They would not be significantly different than the results of the last test. The students would still insist the test is bad or the teacher didn't teach the material properly.

It's amazing how folks can see data right in front of them and still insist their original opinion is that of the majority when it may not be.

So much rage this year. So much misplaced rage.
Does your best student complain too, or just the regular group of slackers? If so, he/she is probably just mad about something else, right?

The people who fill out these surveys on teams rarely know what the hell is going on on the field. Make it drive coach or refs who are mandated to take the survey and you'll see the difference.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 04-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lawrence View Post
Even in Lunacy, you weren't 100% out of luck if your partners couldn't possess game pieces well.

-Nick
That's right, because human players scored a lot of the points! I can't count the number of matches in Lunacy where human players outscored robots...
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
AKA: Jordan McMichael
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH 27)

Rookie Year: 2011
jlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
This year's more fun to watch, that's for sure. It's also focused on cooperating as an alliance to score high, rather than human players(who accounted for ~50% of points in lunacy, if I remember correctly). This can be incredibly painful, I know, but it's an interesting game mechanic that made for interesting, exciting strategies this year.

Field reset: '13 - '16, Einstein '16!
Referee: '15 - '18

2018: Kettering #1, Centerline, Milford, Midland, Troy, Marysville, MICMP, Roebling, Archimedes, IRI, MARC, Kettering Kickoff, FSU Roboday, Bot Bash, Alpena Offseason, Bloomfield Girls Competition
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:31 AM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lawrence View Post

-Nick
Yeah, but you were very, very screwed if they couldn't move in auto or were disabled for some reason or another.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
That's right, because human players scored a lot of the points! I can't count the number of matches in Lunacy where human players outscored robots...
As opposed to 2004 wherein the only way to score other than hanging was the human player? 2004 that is considered a wonderful game?

#74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As opposed to 2004 wherein the only way to score other than hanging was the human player? 2004 that is considered a wonderful game?
I wasn't around in 2004, so I have no opinion on or knowledge of that game...
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Team Mom
AKA: Wendy Austin
FRC #5816 (Gra-V)

wendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond reputewendymom has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone should go look at the baby pics….it will make you feel better

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: