OCCRA
Go to Post Kyle from team 45 said "Dude, I still have 2 years left in FIRST ahahaha.." My response to that was... "Kyle, I have till the day I die." - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
  #1906   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Sunny
FRC #6829 (Ignite Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You know you've overdosed on FIRST when...

When you're watching Star Trek and you realize that the forklift in the background is utilizing a mecanum drive.
  #1907   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Business and Safety Mentor
AKA: Robyn Thurston
FRC #0314 (Big MO)

Rookie Year: 2008
thurston2619 is an unknown quantity at this point

you know you are addicted to FIRST when...

-you read all 128 pages of this thread and realize that it is all so very true

-you take your senior pictures with your robot from your junior year

-you have last year's robot sitting in your garage because you have taken it to so many presentations and robotic summer camps

-your friends threaten to kidnap you from robotics on your birthday because it's the middle of build season and they know you want perfect attendance

-your friends refer to you as safety captain outside of robotics

-you have multiple pairs of safety glasses in your purse

-you have multiple non-team shirts that have your team name and number on them that you designed just for the fun of it

-your mentors text you at all hours of the day giving you updates on sponsor presentations

-you and your best friend become team leads and the only thing you talk about anymore is FIRST

-your family doesn't see you for 6+ weeks during build season because you go straight to the buildsite after school and dont come home until they are already asleep then you leave for school before they wake up the next morning

-you refuse to date anyone who isn't on a robotics team

-your family no longer knows anything about you, they just know everything about your team

-you spend all your time thinking of new things to build and new ways to try to recruit sponsors

-the FIRST thing you tell your boss when you get a new job is the days you need off for competitions

-everything in your room becomes related to FIRST in some way

-you convince your parents to become mentors so they will stop complaining about never getting to see you

-you choose where you want to apply for college based on the location of FIRST teams in the area

-you go on vacation to visit family and are disappointed that you can't find any FIRST teams in the area that you can visit

-you think about the major possibilities of starting a FIRST team on an Air Force base when you go to visit your brother who happens to be in the USAF

-while thinking about starting a team on your brother's base you ramble about FIRST to your brother until he gets up and leaves the room

-you spend the majority of your vacation time on CD

-your team wins a regional and you are more excited to be taking home the Gracious Proffessionalism award

-you combine pits with the rookie team next to you at competition so that you are better equipped to help them

-when the judges ask you as safety captain about the safety procedures of the rookie team you are helping because there are more members of your team in their pit than in yours

-when you spend your entire summer working on robotics

-when your team no longer knows which subteam you are on because you have worked with all of them

-when you beg your parents to let you stay home while they go on vacation so that you wont miss anything robotics related

-when your team calls you FIRST to get another team member/mentor/sponsor's number because they know you will have it programmed into your cell phone

-when you have a box in your room dedicated to other teams' buttons

-when you have a collection of stuffed animals from competitions that you have been to that was started by a friend on another FIRST team

-when you find out you are going to be an aunt and the FIRST thing you think about is what FIRST team your neice will be on when she is older

-when you check USFIRST, CD, and your team website as often as you do facebook and your personal email

-when your closet consists of mostly your team colors plus a shirt or two that you haven't had the heart to get rid of because they are from your well meaning relatives

-when you have a necklace with a limit switch on it

-when your school plays cotton eyed joe during every passing period for a week during a fund raiser and you as well as your teammates are dancing down the hall to class

-when you stay in a hotel as soon as you get to the lobby in the morning you automatically start singing "G-O-O-D-M-O-R-N-I-N-G, Good Morning, Hey, Hey, Good Morning" whether you are with your team or not

-you have more pictures from robotics than anything else on your computer

-you have all of the FIRST promo videos as well as all the videos of your team from competition on your computer

... i think i should stop for now. more later =)
  #1908   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM
+1 is BIGGER than -1
AKA: Joshua Manela
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
jmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to behold

when you are speechless from reading that last post

when you realize that the only reason you know 5 different computer languages is because of FIRST

when you find out that you get at internship (at a biology lab) because you know LabView

when you get bored at that lab and (using labView) figure out how to take a picture of your brain with an ultrasound machine

when you fall asleep at night and dream once again you are at a competition

when you spend 4 weeks of your summer planning and running 3 different FLL robotics camps

when you keep the program from Atlanta in you backpack at all times

when you look around and realize that so many things around you deal with robotics

when you check CD every day during the build season

when you check CD every day when it's not the build season

when you start writing apps for the Palm that deal with FRC scouting

when you realize that you picked all your high school classes based on STEM

whenever you see and triangle, circle, and square together, you think of robotics

when there is so much to write, you cannot put it in words.

p.s. (when you realize this is a quick reply)
||2009|| Entrepeneurship Award, QF - Traverse City | Rookie All Star, QF - Detroit | Highest Rookie Seed, Rookie All Star, QF - Michigan State Championship | Finalist - MARC ||2010|| Engineering Inspiration, Website Award, SF- Kettering | Judges Award, Website Award, SF - Detroit | Website Award, Winner, Michigan State Champ //Thank you 469 and 1918!! | Finalist - MARC ||2011|| Engineering Inspiration, Website - Kettering | Entrepreneurship, Website, Finalist - Waterford | Website - MSC
  #1909   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
No Stolte No
AKA: Chris
FRC #2194 (Fondy Fire)

Cow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cow Bell Solo Send a message via MSN to Cow Bell Solo Send a message via Yahoo to Cow Bell Solo

...when you clock out at your job and without trying the time lands on your team number(22:07) and then you start jumping and shouting with excitement scarying the other workers and then have to explain.
...when you are still helping with programming the website while at college
...while waiting in the forever ending line at target when all the college students got target to themselves and Cotten Eye Joe starts playing on the loudspeaker and you start dancing while in line.
Iowa FIRST LEGO League Planning Team Member - 2010-Present - http://www.isek.iastate.edu/fll
FIRST LEGO League volunteer - 2008-Present

2008: MN Regional Quarterfinalists, Website Excellence
2009: MN North Star Quarterfinalists, recognized for safety, Website Excellence
  #1910   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:01 AM
They call me Cody.
no team (None currently :\)

XXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttldomination View Post
When you're watching Star Trek and you realize that the forklift in the background is utilizing a mecanum drive.
- Your happy that your not the only other person who saw that!

- You relized that you could possibly miss kick-off and that sadden you
  #1911   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM
With Upmost Efficiency
AKA: Eric DelSanto
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pioneers)

delsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant futuredelsaner has a brilliant future

I was playing a game of scattergories with my family, the letter was C, and a cattergory was awards/ceremonies, and chairmans award was the only thing that popped up in my head...
^_^

Eric DelSanto
Game Announcer
H.E.R.E. Representative
Stevens Institute of Technology - Class of 2016 - BE/ME Mechanical Engineering
Concentration: Robotics, Mechatronics

[2008-2014]: FRC 1676 - The Pascack Pi-oneers
  #1912   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Mrs. ChrisH
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Parent

KarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond repute

You know your son is overdosed on FIRST when...

...he comes in the door and announces that his room number in his college dorm this year will be "ThunderChickens Special" (217).

Of course, we knew EricH was way overdosed already. There is no cure!
  #1913   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
You know your son is overdosed on FIRST when...

...he comes in the door and announces that his room number in his college dorm this year will be "ThunderChickens Special" (217).

Of course, we knew EricH was way overdosed already. There is no cure!
Actually, it's "ThunderChickens Central" (room 217 in the central wing).

The really bad part? The street address is Rhode Warriors (121).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#1914   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:24 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

jspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jspatz1

.... a post like this gets 145,000 views.

Last edited by jspatz1 : 08-29-2009 at 06:27 PM.
  #1915   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
FRC #0314 (Big MO)

... all of your stories now start with "this one time at robotics..."
... all of the competitions your team will be attending as well as your friends' teams will be attending are on your calendar as soon as you sign up
... you have driven a half hour to get robot stickers from hobby lobby so you could finish your robotics scrapbook
... you actually have a scrapbook dedicated only to robotics
... the FIRST thing you tell the new girl in school when she asks about you is about your team
... you have different contact groups on your phone for your team: mechanical, electrical, business, mentors, parents, sponsors
... you have a contact group on your phone for other teams
... you plan your social life around robotics events
... you determine which classes to take which part of the year because you don't want your GPA to drop during build season

MENTOR
FRC Team 314 : 2010-Present
FRC Team 2337 : 2010-2011

ALUMNA
FRC Team 2619 : 2007-2010
Captain | Safety Captain | Business Sub Team Lead
  #1916   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:43 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

When you randomly ask people at freshman week if they're into robotics...

When you've found someone from 175 / 111 / 2753 so far...
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #1917   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
When you randomly ask people at freshman week if they're into robotics...

When you've found someone from 175 / 111 / 2753 so far...
That looks like one scary alliance.

When you take off time from robotics and skip meeting just so you can spend time with your family so your mother won't take you off of the team.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #1918   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

When on your keyring you keep a flash drive with all your CAD files.

(When typing files you accedently put first... )
  #1919   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-30-2009, 06:49 PM
AKA: Sunny
FRC #1197 (TorBots)

Sunbun is a glorious beacon of lightSunbun is a glorious beacon of lightSunbun is a glorious beacon of lightSunbun is a glorious beacon of lightSunbun is a glorious beacon of light

... when you look at the last three digits of California* license plates and wonder if you know that team from somewhere.

... and you keep a tally of how many teams you know. I'm winning.

* - also works with any other state
  #1920   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
FRC #0314 (Big MO)

... you and a friend fight and one of your mentors helps work it out because it's bad for the team

... you spend your free time during the summer planning the team open house

... you automatically invite your mentors to hang out with you and your friends when playing ultimate frisbee or sardines

... you can break down in front of team members but not in front of your family because your team has been more of a family to you the last couple years than your real family just because you haven't been home

... you haven't eaten dinner with your family in months, but have had "family dinners" every few weeks with your team

MENTOR
FRC Team 314 : 2010-Present
FRC Team 2337 : 2010-2011

ALUMNA
FRC Team 2619 : 2007-2010
Captain | Safety Captain | Business Sub Team Lead

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: