Go to Post C'mon you guys you're all inventors. You guys should be making a portable cryogenic sleep chambers for those long bus trips! You got two weeks before you have to go. Get cracking! - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
[FRC Blog] Suicide Hits Home

https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...cide-hits-home

Suicide Hits Home
Written by Frank Merrick

Martha Dickey is the Stewardship Manager in the FIRST Development Department. The Development Department is the group within FIRST that works hard to ensure we have the sponsorships we need to continue meeting our mission. Martha and the rest of the Development group are the kind of behind-the-scenes folks our teams are unlikely ever to meet, or even hear about. But their work is critical in powering the FIRST engine in delivering life-changing programs to thousands of young people.

On September 14th, Jason, Martha’s 19-year-old son, took his own life. The full story is here. The article is difficult to read because it is so packed with emotion. Personally, I struggled through the text to the end, but scrolled back up to the top to look through the photos, and then my tears flowed. But I recommend this article to everyone, even though it’s uncomfortable. This topic is so important.

When FIRST Robotics Competition hears of the death of a team member, we send a letter of condolence, signed by me and Don Bossi, President of FIRST. It’s hard to sign any condolence letter, but when we need to sign one for a student who has taken his or her own life, it’s especially painful. It’s just so tragic.

The good news is that there are resources available to help prevent these tragedies. If you are struggling with thoughts of killing yourself, please reach out. I guarantee you that while it may not seem so, there are people in your life that love you. And the world will be worse off without you around.

If you are in the United States, and you need someone to talk to, call 1-800-273-8255. En Espanol, 1-888-628-9454. If you prefer to chat online rather than speak, the website National Suicide Prevention Lifeline has a chat function you may use. You can even just text TALK to 741741 to start a conversation. The ‘help yourself’ section of the website includes information on creating a safety plan that can help you if you are having suicidal thoughts.

Another wonderful resource is the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Their website has a wealth of resources you can use to help yourself or help others.

In Canada, the number to call is 1-833-456-4566. Their website also has a chat function.

If you live outside the United States or Canada, see this website to find help.

If you have concerns about someone else in your life having thoughts of suicide, this website has resources for you. Click on the ‘resources’ tab to find them. Especially helpful is the list of warning signs to clue you in there may be a problem.

Some of you may wonder why we decided to blog on this topic. As a youth-serving organization, we at FIRST know how hard the teenage years can be, and we meet many parents and students whose lives are scarred by suicide, suicide attempts, or thoughts of suicide. The FIRST community is a family. This is one of the things that makes us so much more than just a robotics competition. We want to be there for each other, and we want you to know there are resources available to help. Please never give up, never abandon hope---please reach out to somebody---anybody—if you need help or support. Your life is worth at least a phone call, a chat, or a text.

Frank

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] Suicide Hits Home

One death is one too many. Sadly I know of a few that have happened in my time in FIRST. I would be ecstatic if it never happened again.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Not too long ago, I lost a co-worker to suicide. I think about him all the time and the impact he had on me as a person as well as the huge loss felt by his friends and family. It tears me up that depression and anxiety cause people to take their own lives and my thoughts go out to those impacted.
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Another great blog. I truly appreciate that Frank and the FRC staff are willing to use their blog to bring awareness to such an important topic.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 05:39 PM
catkin_maker (wiki.ros.org)
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Adithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant futureAdithya Balaji has a brilliant future

Thank you Frank for posting this. I am proud to be a part of an organization that vociferously advocates for the youth.

2018 - FIRST NC Volunteer
2017 - 900 - Newton Quarterfinalist, District Championship Winner, Excellence in Engineering (NC District Championship)
2016 - 900 - Excellence in Engineering (NC District Championship)
2015 - 4828 - Spirit Award (NC Regional)
2014 - 4828 - 8th Alliance Captain (NC Regional)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 07:14 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a difficult topic. Thanks for posting.

To anyone reading this - You are loved and you are needed. You matter. Your life is not your own, you cannot imagine how much you mean to other people.

It's important to remind others of this, especially since we cannot know what they're going through. Who knows, you may save a life.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 07:38 PM
God's Perfect Idiot
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

This is always great to talk about in a candid and healthy way. It is especially important as we head into the build season.

It's vital to talk about mental health and how FRC teams and FIRST can create a positive space for students to explore and express themselves in a nurturing and safe environment. Creating and sustaining a team culture that values mental health of students in this program above all else is integral to everything we do here and it is something I personally want to talk about more in the future.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:24 PM
AKA: Clint Brawley
FRC #0364 (Fusion)

Fusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond repute

This is near and dear to my heart. No one knows what the answer is, but I think communication and education is great place to focus our efforts. Thanks for bringing this to the front of our conversations FIRST.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Off to Cambridge!
AKA: Val Shum
no team
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if I'm oversharing, but this really resonated with me. Please keep in mind that I'm in a MUCH better place mentally, and that this is super student-centric. I don't think I'm qualified to speak on the mentor side of things quite yet.

People have asked me why I quit the team I was on, seeing as though I could still participate as a student for one more year. I've given a variety of answers of varying honesty in the past, but I've recently dedicated myself to answering this as honestly as possible.

I chose to leave for mental health. With the team I was previously on, I had harbored suicidal thoughts for multiple years. I would find myself quite close to self harm, with only the weight of ambition keeping me away. Team culture didn't help, neither did interactions with the members (or lack of thereof).

The team I was on was isolating to me, in what felt like a thankless job. It felt as though my worth on the team was measured by how much of myself I gave. There was one time at a regional with scaffolding bleachers where I genuinely considered jumping off. My mind would scream at me, "It's so easy. So easy." Yet I'd force myself to resist.

Once I was given the opportunity to leave by my mom pushing for me to take a break upon the arrival of an unexpected, unwanted(at least by me), and undisclosed government agency(Read as Child Protective Services), the time away from the team made me realize how unhealthy, and maybe abusive the team was for me. I still feel extremely uncomfortable around the head coach of the team I was on, to the point where whenever he enters the room, I instinctively go to the nearest adult and hide. It's quite sad.

I wasn't the only one to quit that year. A lot of people on that team didn't feel useful or appreciated. Many of the ones who didn't leave stepped back, and that's okay.

I feel like we've kinda frowned upon those kids who quit, the ones that aren't putting in every waking hour of the day into the program. Before I got myself to leave, I saw the inability to quit as a mark of pride.

Allowing students to use this as a measure of how much they're worth is not fair to them.
Shaming students for not attending as much or leaving is not fair to them.

What is fair to them?
Pushing a culture of mental health awareness:
  • Build a support system within your team and subteams.
  • Check in with members that aren't in that core group more often. These are the members most likely to get ignored.
  • Show that the students matter to the team, and that they're doing something useful. Even the kids that you might not think want to be useful, they want to be useful.
  • Make an end goal visible. Having direction helps so much.
  • Remind students that it's okay to take breaks, or even quit the team if they have to. Tell them you won't be disappointed, or upset. Even if students don't end up leaving the team, just knowing that option is available is such a weight off of one's shoulder.
The head coach of the team I was on would use doing things for the team as a bargaining token for former members, and when told "No," would have students keep asking.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT.

Sure, we can't stop all instances of FIRST-related mental health pressures, as FRC is a very condensed and high-pressure time of life, but every bit of effort helps.

Scouting Maniac - Trainee GA/MC - Lurker - Avatar Guide-maker

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM
#JusticeForPinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

If this post convinces one person considering suicide to seek help, it is a tremendous success. Thank you, Frank, for using the blog to make a difference.
2016: Tech Valley SF (5236, 2791, 3624), Finger Lakes SF (5254, 2791, 2383), Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: Mount Olive QF (1257, 1923, 1811) , North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257)
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF (1257, 293, 303)
2012: Mount Olive QF (204, 303, 1257)

2017-present, SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers
2018: Regular Season Finalist, Championship 3rd Place, Fantasy FIM Finalist
2017: Regular Season Winner, Championship Winner, Fantasy FIM Finalist, IRI Winner
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Stephen Pang
FRC #3146 (Granby GRUNTS)

Rookie Year: 2014
SPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond reputeSPang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale View Post
This resonates deeply with me; I've had similar experiences as a student that I won't go into detail about... and I've spoken with many students from different teams that do as well. People tend to be quiet about this, but it's more prevalent here in FIRST than you may think.

As for the blog post, thank you so much for posting about this, Frank. It speaks volumes that this organization is willing to face and discuss this topic. A small gesture of kindness can go a long way.
NE FIRST Volunteer | 2016 - ????
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Head Scout n Strategist
FRC #5943 (The Bad News Gears)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2014
Hailey.faiella will become famous soon enough

This is considered a difficult and sensitive topic. To me I have this topic near and dear to me. Thank you Frank for posting this. I'm glad to know I belong to an organization that brings awareness to this topic.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Maher View Post
If this post convinces one person considering suicide to seek help, it is a tremendous success. Thank you, Frank, for using the blog to make a difference.
^^ THIS. One of my own children attempted suicide less than two years ago. A scary episode that still makes my heart race from time to time, especially when woken by the phone between midnight and dawn. I was relieved and joyous a few months ago when such a phone call informed me that the car was destroyed but both occupants walked away from it.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2017, 06:28 AM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to FIRST for addressing this.

In competitive environments, where people tend to determine their value by contribution and perception of those contributions, one takes the risk of negative mental impact.

The important thing to do is try.
Yes you may fail and your may fail very visibly.

However please never let a failure or discouragement you percieve get to your self worth so much that you feel like you are trapped and self harm is a way out.

People can be very callous. Don't feel bad if circumstances start to exceed your capacity for well being and you need to cut back. Great efforts should be a positive growth experience not all costs marches to darkness.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM
RoboDox and LVHS - Missing you!
FRC #5941
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
indieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this link on my Facebook feed.

https://www.snopes.com/crisis-text-line-741741/

In short, if you are in a crisis mode and live in the US, you can text 741741 24/7 and a counselor will get back to you quickly.

If you are in Ontario, Canada, you can use this same number between 2pm and 2am.

There are people that want to help, keep fighting!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: