Go to Post I've determined that the only thing rumors are good for is putting your knickers in a twist. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What do you think of Raisin Brownies?
I tried them, and DISLIKE them. 23 8.27%
I tried them, and LIKE them. 17 6.12%
I don't need to try them... they're terrible and JVN is blasphemous. 188 67.63%
I don't need to try them to know JVN is right. They sound amazing. 50 17.99%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Brownie Recipes - The Great(est) Debate

All,
I submit an appeal to the FRC community in the name of scientific inquiry. I submit to you, the theory of the "Raisin Brownie". I posted about this in my blog as part of our update from "Sheetmetal Christmas" weekend, and it has already started a significant debate within the Robowranglers (as it did in 2010 when I last mentioned my great unified theory of brownies).

I hypothesize: "Brownies with Raisins and Walnuts are better than ones without."

I submit as evidence: Over 3 decades of personal experimentation.

I ask you, the supposed intellectual elite of our program to join me in this great experiment.

There seems to exist an entire contingent of people who are so blinded by brownie-dogma that they will not even entertain a new dessert paradigm. They cannot open themselves up to this potential greatness.

This runs counter to the teachings of Woodie: who asks us to open ourselves up to the "truth" that can come from science, and reject the pre-conceived and self-reinforcing teachings of our existing tribes.

Try it yourself. Discuss your findings. Further rhetoric by me isn't necessary, the results will speak for themselves.

What is your experience?

-JVN

PS - I hope everyone is fighting through "the week 3 slump" - maybe some brownies (with raisins) will help everyone hit the ground running in week 4.

Last edited by JVN : 01-29-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Fixed URL
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 11:45 PM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brownie Recipes - The Great(est) Debate

Its time to stop. Raisins, like pineapple, do not belong in modern society. I will not support these absurd claims, and ask other readers to do the same.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 11:49 PM
AKA: Keenan
FRC #6130 (Viper Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2016
YMK is on a distinguished road

The only thing raisins taste good in, is oatmeal cookies. That is all.

FRC 6130 Driver 2016-2017 Drive Coach 2018-Present
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 11:52 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an option for "I like them as long as bonuses are not finalized"?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2018, 11:59 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

I can get there on raisins... maybe. I've never tried that.

It's when you add the nuts in that I tend to disagree. I don't particularly like nuts (the edible kind--I'm just fine with the fasteners!).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:52 AM
AKA: Andrew Hartnett
FRC #5414 (Pearadox)

Rookie Year: 2005
ahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond reputeahartnet has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite - I'm alright with walnuts, but the raisins should stay off.

Though I will admit, I have been wrong before. Peanut butter on a burger or greek yogurt + peanut butter + fruit on pancakes are other odd combinations I like that I initially thought "there's no way that's good". But I just don't like raisins...
Team 451 The Cat Attack, Student Alumni (2005)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:00 AM
FIRST? What's SECOND?
AKA: Anish De
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
anishde will become famous soon enough

Out of the people that have tried them in the poll above, 2/3 liked it...maybe that's telling us something?

------------------------------------------------------------
2015-2018: Team 5123 (The Mechadogs - Yonkers, NY)
------------------------------------------------------------
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Finalists
2017 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2016 New York City Regional Dean's List Finalist Award
2016 New York City Regional Entrepreneurship Award
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:05 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

I was with you on the walnuts but noped out of there at the raisins. Raisins really are only good in oatmeal raisin cookies... and even that's debatable since I'm not sure if they are really good in them or merely "make the cookie taste better than the last time I tried to bake anything" [1]

Raisins are just the sad shell of a once great grape.

[1] For why I can't bake - go ask your average programmer to measure something. Then ask them to measure it again. Get two different answers? Yeah exactly. Not conducive to successful baking.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:35 AM
#JusticeForPinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
Raisins, like pineapple, do not belong in modern society. I will not support these absurd claims, and ask other readers to do the same.
Pineapple is a fantastic fruit. It tastes great on its own, in a fruit salad, on pizza; the list goes on.
2016: Tech Valley SF (5236, 2791, 3624), Finger Lakes SF (5254, 2791, 2383), Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: Mount Olive QF (1257, 1923, 1811) , North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257)
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF (1257, 293, 303)
2012: Mount Olive QF (204, 303, 1257)

2017-present, SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers
2018: Regular Season Finalist, Championship 3rd Place, Fantasy FIM Finalist
2017: Regular Season Winner, Championship Winner, Fantasy FIM Finalist, IRI Winner
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:43 AM
no team

Howard C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant futureHoward C has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
I was with you on the walnuts but noped out of there at the raisins. Raisins really are only good in oatmeal raisin cookies... and even that's debatable since I'm not sure if they are really good in them or merely "make the cookie taste better than the last time I tried to bake anything" [1]

Raisins are just the sad shell of a once great grape.

[1] For why I can't bake - go ask your average programmer to measure something. Then ask them to measure it again. Get two different answers? Yeah exactly. Not conducive to successful baking.
Sing it brother, I agree with you fully from the walnuts to the grapes.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:49 AM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2006
Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravusCubington View Post
THESE PEOPLE ARE SO BLIND
From a different thread, but QFT.
FRC Team Mean Machine
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:58 AM
Mentor/Drive Coach
AKA: Zach CH
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
StAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud of

We have many avid blog readers on our team. Tuesday’s team dinner will come with a testing sample for desert...
3 RCA's, 1 Regional Finalist, 2017 Houston Chairmans Finalist
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 02:56 AM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

https://johnvneun.com/blog/2018/1/26...start-building

Fixed URL above for those that thought the blog was down.

I never know with these things if it's a meta-discussion on a transcendent topic or if it's just a plain dessert question. Quite frankly I'm always confused by the conversations about "cheesecaking" and "corndogs" and "non-dairy whipped topping"

Let me take the meta first. Brownies. Solid, satisfying, most people can make them from scratch with some effort. Slight variations in the basic materials used can create nuances in the brownie. They can become lighter but at they become more fragile. Heavier, thicker, more chewy. Many people get locked on to one particular brownie style. But in all cases, making a brownie and having it enjoyed by others is a great thing.

Pre-packaged or COTS brownies for beginners are also a source of delight. It's not "I went to Shop-right and bought brownies" but becomes "I made these" is their mantra. And from something as simple as making COTS brownies, can lead to more exploration. This exploration can be as simple as buying other COTS baked goods kits. Some of these are more complex and require additional assembly techniques (add egg/water/oil for some cakes) to learning some more advanced skills (pie pan, pre-made pie sheets (or rolling out pre made dough, filling, etc.) So the world of COTS brownies can lead to other dessert adventures.

Some people find enjoyment in taking standard COTS bakery items and (for a lack of a better term) Frankenstein them into something else. See the Cake Mix Doctor Recipies. To stay on the brownie thread, note that there is a CAD (Cooking assorted Desserts) / assembly diagram for brownies that have been cheesecaked

For most people, COTS or COTS modified scratches their itch. They are happy with their baking skills and will never be an embarrassment at events like pot-luck dinners or picnics.

Starting out this way can lead in multiple directions. The most complex of these is starting from a simple concepts and building on them (also known as scratch baking). Many prior teams of bakers have created great brownie recipes and have posted them in blogs and in paper made reference devices Brownie Cookbook. Sometimes the CAD is super complete so that rookie bakers can create their own. Sometimes it's a little vague (see The GBBO and search for Technical Challenge

Another direction is to take something simple that works, like brownies and add ingredients until you've made something special that you like and in some cases making it your signature dish. JVN alludes to this with his post. Brownies with a chocolate coating (since all Robowrangler parts come with black powder coating) with walnuts and raisins. Little surprise nuggets that when you get to them are "Ah-ha moments" / "interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that". Mother-VN has done this, people to this day talk about them and people that have seen/eaten them remark about them.

One thing to remember is that adding lots of extra ingredients may or not work out. I'd like to think that Mother-VN subscribes to "Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away". Meaning that she iterated the basic brownie recipe, added things one at a time until she said "umm too much" and took away that last item (which is why there is no pineapple). Cooks that can't control the "add things in" process and lack the ability to edit create things like "Holiday Fruit Cake".

Of course, once you start making things your own, there ends up being factions that will not agree (see the ever raging "Cake vs. Pie vs. Cookie battles). You can't change the factions, you just need to remember that you like your dessert, it satisfies me and makes me happy.

In summary: Make something, COTS based, scratch based; make changes if you want (but don't get carried away) and share it with your friends. Take advice from others, but if it's a huge change, consider if they are making your dessert better.

Oh and Butter Tarts (nod to Ontario bakers here) are the best.
Delmarva Robotics and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.

Last edited by Foster : 01-29-2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Added longer comment
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 05:11 AM
God's Perfect Idiot
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not buying the Ghirardelli Brownie mix in bulk from Costco, you're not making brownies in the best possible way and I weep for you.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

As with most chemistry (baking), the results hinge upon timing. If the grapes were dried after the brownie mix was acquired, then that's no good at all. These brownies are only tasty if the raisins are all-purpose, previously prepared and boxed for multiple possible uses. When raisins are dried and sold to a brownie maker specifically for that bit of bakery, the brownies will not be as sweet*.
Raisins need time to cure.

It should also be noted that the non-brownie-eaters often have the most visceral opinions about what constitutes a good brownie for others to eat.

Personally, I like my brownies topped with a big serving of ice cream. And I have been known to enjoy both raisins and chopped nuts in my ice cream...sometimes.

*it should be noted that home-dried raisins don't abide by these rules. They may be dried at any time in the brownie-making process, without affecting the quality of the brownies. Homemade raisins are iterative.

Last edited by Taylor : 01-29-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: