OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is an opportunity for me to tackle problems that have long been solved. - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Mentor
AKA: Stephen des Jardins
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Big Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant future
Re: Traditions/Superstitions

Team Paradox has had 3 years of robots that did not work well until a particular BLUE C CLAMP was used to fix one problem or another. Sometimes the last day of build but sometimes in competition.

This year, the design team was doing a great job; so, no BLUE CLAMP was needed and the mentors started to get worried that something was going to require the clamp to work. To stave off disaster, a mentor and student created a laser cut "BLUE CLAMP" tiki to mount on the robot. Our robot stayed mechanically sound thru 2 regionals.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:47 PM
FRC Data Nerd
AKA: Anthony Jennings
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
PVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud ofPVCpirate has much to be proud of

My team has a pirate rubber duck(can't find a picture but it's a black duck with an eyepatch) that we always keep around for luck. It's lucky because we have lost it several times, but we always find it again. No one recently on the team really knows where it came from.
An incredible four years I will never forget
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

A less consistent but fun tradition we have had over the years is that a mentor must wear the Daisy Pot Mascot costume if we ever win a blue banner.
I had to wear it in 2007 Philly and 2010 NYC. I know Jared had to wear it in Philly 2010. I also jokingly told the kids in 2010 that if we won the WCCA that I would wear the Daisy Pot for a full day in school. I was very sorry that I made that promise.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Assistant to the regional manager
AKA: Phil
FRC #4454 (Artisan Rockets)

Rookie Year: 2007
coalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to coalhot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly View Post
Googly eyes must be the secret to success! Just look at the "ducks" on our climber!

But wait! If they're ducks, and ducks float on water... then team 1806's climbing hooks are made of wood... and therefore... WITCHES!
I know 2495 had the best giant googly eyes on a robot ever. And they won their first district ever, and went to MAR!

304 (student) ->304 (mentor) -> 3929 (mentor/temp lead) -> 4454 (assistant head honcho/head honcho)

Jack of all trades, master of about 2. Interested in mentoring in Philadelphia? PM me!

My posts represent my personal views only, and do not represent the views of my team, its school, sponsors, or FIRST.

Last edited by coalhot : 04-23-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Found a (blurry) photo
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
FRC #0329
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
Matt_Boehm_329 is a jewel in the roughMatt_Boehm_329 is a jewel in the roughMatt_Boehm_329 is a jewel in the rough

I cant say if it is good luck or bad luck, but 329 has had a piece for fruit cake on one of the I beams in the ceiling since either 2006 or 2007 which no one dares to remove. Clearly it is there for a reason and we shouldn't touch it.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
kelseysea

On the first morning of our first competition, I and another member of 4531 sang a song to our team:
"Good morning to you! Good morning to you!
You look awfully drowsy, in fact you look lousy!
Is that any way to start a new day?"

It is now tradition for the whole team to sing it every morning on the bus from hotel to playing field.
(One of our mentors confessed to me that he even sings it to himself when he wakes up on regular days.)
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Clap clap whoosh!
AKA: Nate Knauss
FRC #2729 (LC Storm Robotics Team)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
nlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond reputenlknauss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevenStonow View Post
I've been waiting for the appropriate venue in which to post this video, but in what is (probably) embarrassment, before a few of our matches at the Bridgewater-Raritan District this year, Nate "The Motivator" Knauss gave our robot/robot cart some motivation. This one was caught on tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyW4-XCG4m8

I apologize for my Vertical Video Syndrome, as well as my high pitched laughter.
Oh wow! Along with that cloth, I think I motivated a bucket that weekend too.

I'll be motivating 2729 and anyone else who needs it in Galileo this weekend!

Nate

Nate Knauss
FRC 2729 Teacher, Drive Coach

FRC 87 Student 2000-2002 and Mentor 2003-2006, FRC 1647 Mentor 2006-2008, FIRST Senior Mentor 2009-2013

"We can't change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." -Randy Pausch

#38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Ravage457
AKA: Jesus Jurado
FRC #0457 (Grease Monkeys)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Ravage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to beholdRavage457 is a splendid one to behold

In 2008, after a horrible '07 season because our team had drivetrain issue ( goodbye 4 wheel drive, hello 6 wheel drive) one of the mentors (childhood friend and Rival) tells me that i should bless our robot. Well i write on our robot "Jesus blessed this robot" and that year we had a good season, that year we came close to entering the Finals in Florida at the Orlando Regional as backups, and did pertty decent in our Division at World Championship. Ever since than i keep that little tradition going
2014 Dallas Regional Winners:#1 Alliance-Captain: 148, 1st:359, 2nd:457
2013 Hub City Off-Season Event Winner:#1 Alliance- Captain: 457, 1st:3366, 2nd:1817
2012 Alamo Regional Winner:#3 Alliance- Captain:231, 1st:1477, 2nd:457
2012 Ozark Mountain Brawl Winners:#8 Alliance - Captain:1986, 1st:1987, 2nd: 457
2012 Texas Robot Roundup Winners:#1 Alliance- Captain:118, 1st:624, 2nd:457, Backup:4332
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
M. McEwen
AKA: M.McEwen
FRC #4595 (Infinity Robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2013
mcarobotics is on a distinguished road

Our rookie team was given the use of an old rehab building for a build space. When we first moved in, it was a creepy old building with mice and mysterious noises. As we walked through, we turned a corner and found a 1 .5 foot long stuffed fish, complete with painted on teeth and creepy eyes, staring at us. After overcoming our shock, we decided to adopt it and "The Fish" became our lucky mascot. We brought it to competitions and demos and we like to hide it around the build room for others to stumble upon.
We hope to continue this tradition next year
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:24 AM
AKA: Jeff Clements
FRC #0016 (Bomb Squad)

Rookie Year: 2010
Jefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond reputeJefferson has a reputation beyond repute

As nod to our '96 rookie robot, our primary robot class in C++ is always named some version of TwoMinuteWarning or TMW, at least since my first involvement in 2010.

But now that I think about it... we used Robot Builder this year to generate the project. Our project is named TMW2013, but the primary class is Robot.cpp. Maybe this is the source of our lack-luster performance this season.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Build Lead
FRC #2733 (The Pigmice)
Team Role: Alumni

Garrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to beholdGarrett.d.w is a splendid one to behold

Last year during the Spokane regional one of the parents jumped up and started cheering "Matthew Klockner, Matthew Klockner" really obnoxiously, which prompted the entire team to join in. After that we spent an incredible amount of time explaining to curious teams who this Matthew Klockner is (human player last year).
With his promotion to second driver this year we all decided to up the ante and made buttons that said "I know Matthew Klockner" in bold letters and a picture of his face in the center. Many a laugh was had over this and we ended up with a really successful regional. By the time we graduate we intend for him to be famous (maybe then we'll win a blue banner).

Anyway, our "robot tradition" is something that we do on our "bunnybot" scrimmage machines. We always try to incorporate a massive pigmouse into the design of the bot (think 20in wooden cube with all of the features of our logo). It doesn't make us do any better, we just have more fun with the bot. If there is no room for the wooden pigmouse, we do have a smaller "pilot" stuffed pigmouse that can take its place (it was our gunner last year).

Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers realize it's twice as big as it needs to be.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold

We name our robot Audrey ___ each year... I dont know why, but we do
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM
AKA: Mak
FRC #0216 (The Robodawgs)
Team Role: Driver

lakstick is a jewel in the roughlakstick is a jewel in the roughlakstick is a jewel in the rough

Every year, our team goes and plays Whirlyball once or twice after our competitions, no matter how we do in the competition! If you don't know what Whirlyball is, it looks like this. Our team always has a blast, and most of the time, our night goes well into the next morning!
2013 Western Canada Regional Finalist!
2013 Western Canada Regional Gracious Professionalism Winner!

#44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Back To Back WPI Champions!
AKA: Jake Janssens AKA "Russell" to 3623
FRC #3623 (Terror Bots)

Rookie Year: 2008
Zuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud of

During my first year with my current team, myself and another mentor ended up stopping at K-Mart looking for supplies to paint our robot, and we found a hula-girl dashboard ornament. We looked at each other and bought it. Attaching it to our driver station with velcro, we went on a run I thought we would never ever make.

Every single member of our alliances bumped the hula-girl, and even the queuing staff got in on the ritual. We ended up at 8-4, and the 7th alliance captain. Our alliance kept up the ritual, except for one student who did not, and we upset the #2 alliance. Going into the semi-finals, the director of the teen center bumped the hula-girl for the first time all event, which ruined the juju. We lost in 2 to the eventual champion.

Sadly, she snapped off her base almost immediately when we returned to the club. We tried to replace her on the driver station, but it didn't feel right. Turns out we would have preferred the natural habitat of the hula-girl; we got snow locked on friday, which prevented us from making the trip to our regional

Volunteer Resume:
BattleCry@WPI 12, 13, 15, 16 - Queuing\BattleCry@WPI 14, 18 - Field Reset
Granite State District Event 2014 - Team Queuing
NEFIRST District Championships '14,'15,'16 - Team Queuing
Southern NH District Event 2017 - Lead Queuer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: