Go to Post If I thank everyone that I want to, we might be here for a while - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:10 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
Image Discuss: Transmissions and Drive Train

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Insert Custom User Title
#0321 (Robolancers)

ZACH P. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZACH P.
Nice, where did you obtain your treads and the rollers for those treads?

Very nicely put together.

IM me at: zmstr265
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Bit Twiddler
FRC #2832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Steven Carmain will become famous soon enoughSteven Carmain will become famous soon enough
We made the rollers, I don't think we can release the treads.

A robot is like a campfire: it takes a while to bulid it, and then everyone surounds it!
A world without standards is chaos. A world with standards is chaos.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2003, 12:45 PM
#0159 (Alpine Robotics)

Lauren Hafford is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lauren Hafford
SEXY!!!!!

i only wish our drive train was that shnazzy! ours is kind of...jerryrigged...i guess...:-)

lauren
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2003, 01:06 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Question to team 45 on the mounting of the air shifter:

It looks like you have screwed into the end of the cylinder that contains larger threads and the pin. Is this cleared somewhere in the rules? When we were going to do the same thing our interpretation of this rule

M16 Pneumatic components supplied in the Kit (pump, regulators, pressure switches,
cylinders, valves, fittings, tubing, etc.) may not be modified except as follows:
Tubing may be cut.
The wiring for the valves and pressure switch may be modified as necessary to
interface with the rest of the control system.
Mounting and connecting pneumatics components using the pre-existing
threads, mounting brackets, etc., is not considered a modification of the
components.

Seemed like drilling and tapping into the end of the cylinder was considered a modification. Just wondered if there was an update I don't know about.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Hmmm

Matt,

Good point. This needs investigated.

I do know that teams have been allowed to alter this portion of the cylinders in order to mount them to their 'bot. I think that this rule has always been in the FIRST manual, but there has also been a clarification in years past that allows for alterations of this part of the cylinder.

Once I find out the details, I'll post. I assume that other teams will want to do something similar.

<edit>
OK... I checked the official jive site and FIRST will not allow this. Matt, thanks... I am glad that you pointed this out. We would much rather change this now than at the competition.

FIRST's answer

But... for what it is worth, I see no harm with altering that portion of the cylinder. We are still a good 1/2" from the air chamber... sheesh! Oh, well.

<edit>

Andy B.

Last edited by Andy Baker : 02-11-2003 at 11:20 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 08:52 AM

Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Uhhhhhh, we are also in violation to the ruling you showed Andy since we used the existing threads on the body end but it required removing the pin. I hope they can clarify this a little better.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
President, VEX Robotics, Inc.
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute
Andy & Matt - Here Is What We Did

O.K. guys, we actually nitced that rule and made our details accordingly. By the way the CTT (Crazy Techno Transmission) is what we are callin gour version, but it is still a TechnoKat ripoff. I have attached a dxf file of our detail for your reference. I will even offer to have our machine shop make it for you, if you'de like.

It takes the shift shaft and connects it to a 4mm ID bearing. The bearing is held by clip rings.

E-mail me if you want more details.

-Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip tc-2003-110-013.zip (77.7 KB, 48 views)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 09:43 AM

Paul, Is your detail for the Body end or the Rod end?

Here is what ours looks like after the detail I made, it didn't modify the cylinder but it required the pin to be removed so it could be threaded on to the end of the cylinder body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftshaft.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1036  
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 09:50 AM

Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute
Rod End

Matt,

My detail is for the rod end. We are using 2 cylinders, not 1. Your implementation could not use my detail, sorry.

-Paul
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 11:20 AM

Well this sucks, I just got a response from FIRST
Reply:

When we examined the cylinders that we had in stock, we thought that the
end pins were more than lightly pressed into the cylinder bases. We
envisioned teams clamping the cylinders in vises and driving the pins
out. Because we had the "no-modification rule", and did not want teams
criticizing us for another rule change, mid stream, we stuck to it and
issued the response quoted above. Rule M16 did not specifically state that
you could not remove the pin. The Forum posting by FIRST clarified the "no
modification of pneumatic components" statement in M17 by explicitly
mentioning the pin. By removing the pin, you have modified the air cylinder.

36F

Looks like I have to modify my mount to put the pin back in, shouldn't be that bad I guess just a waste of my time
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
We ground down the pin while it was still in the cylinder. So it's still there... kind of.

What do you think the ruling on this would be?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:35 AM

I Would Say It is a Modification

I would say that it is against the rules.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:33 AM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute
John,

Sorry to say, I agree with Paul. I realize that it may be alot of work to undo something like that, but better now than later.

I seem to recall a saying about the wise man accepting correction while the fool curses his luck (at getting caught). In the Proverbs perhaps?

Based on your previous posts, I assume you're doing the wise (and graciously professional) thing.

"Who is John Galt?"
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Sigh...

We're ordering a new cylinder, and switching them out in the pits at UTC. This seems to be the best solution given the circumstance.

Paul-
Thank you for your opinion, your comment weighed quite heavily in my decision.

ChrisH-
Even the best teams skirt the rules every now and then, but we don't agree with that, so we try to keep everything well within the bounds of gracious professionalism. So we'll certainly be doing the wise thing and replacing it. Thanks.

This is what design constraints are for, right?

Thank you all for your comments.
I thought I was fairly well in touch with the rules/updates, but I didn't even notice this ruling. I wonder how many other teams will be simliarly affected.

Last edited by JVN : 02-13-2003 at 04:43 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: