OCCRA
Go to Post Maybe we'll see some awesome Game change like.... CARPET! - thefro526 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 12:23 PM
FIRST Mentor & Nemo member
no team (FIRST Mentors)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Leon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Leon Machado IV Send a message via MSN to Leon Machado IV Send a message via Yahoo to Leon Machado IV
Knowledge Base

Working at my software company, I've found that we maintain a very active knowledge base for common issues and problems with our software. Has there ever been any thought to this in FIRST? I'm not sure if it could be actively run within CD, but I'm sure if you couldn't you very easily could actively link out to where ever it was. Let me know if I could help set something up (not programming unfortently, but physical design and whatnot, as my company has a very good one).
AIM: tj2rebel
YIM: l1machado
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of
Re: Knowledge Base

Interesting idea. It would be an awesome tool for FIRSTers.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:28 PM
no team (FIRST Mentors)

Leon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Leon Machado IV Send a message via MSN to Leon Machado IV Send a message via Yahoo to Leon Machado IV

The nice part is is if everyone agrees, you could have it in a state of perpetual upgrade, so you're always getting the most up to date and accurate information.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:30 PM
The red haired Dremel gnome!
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

oooh me likes. maybe create a general FIRST crisis site we could integrate the team directory into it as a tool and then have people who volunteer to answer questions in specific categories. maybe make it a wiki?

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus

www.firstwiki.org ?

or am i misunderstanding?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

yeah i was thinking specificially for crisis and advice pertaining to FIRST robotics.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2005, 12:28 AM
NOTAG
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Hutch will become famous soon enoughHutch will become famous soon enough

I guess I don't know if there are many "common problems", especially since most code is going to be different, robot to robot, week to week. But, I'm sure if someone set up a wiki, people could think of things that are common .
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Programming User

Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

If we're talking about a wiki, I vote you see Brandon's post.

I think Leon was thinking of something more along the lines of a FAQ database.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2005, 12:30 PM
NOTAG

I understand there is a FIRST wiki... But I don't know how well an FAQ database would work since then someone has to manage it and manage submissions. And yeah, I just think a more sepcific wiki would be appropriate for this, rather than a database for the reason above.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Programming User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
I understand there is a FIRST wiki... But I don't know how well an FAQ database would work since then someone has to manage it and manage submissions. And yeah, I just think a more sepcific wiki would be appropriate for this, rather than a database for the reason above.
It is possible (I'm almost positive) to create subsection type things in the wiki the FIRSTwiki is using. Maybe you could ask about that in the FIRSTwiki CD forum.

It wouldn't be that hard to setup and maintain a FAQ database. Here's kinda what I'm envisioning it as: (Leon, tell me if you're thinking of something completely different.)

Anyone can submit a new FAQ. When they submit it, they have to provide key words which are relevant to the content of the article. (They provide the keywords instead of an automated indexing so that a person can, for example, say something about "the robot controller uses a serial cable" in an FAQ about serial to USB converters. If it was automated, the article might come up in a search for help about using the PWM outs on the robot controller.) A moderator then receives a notification of the new FAQ item. They can read the FAQ and either approve or reject it.

If the database is getting hundreds of submissions a day, we can always just add more moderators. Probably more than 3/4ths of the people on CD are overqualified for the job of looking for spam and non-FIRST things...

A person uses the database by typing in key words they want to search for. Results are displayed.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
NOTAG

I suppose some sort of FAQ database could work - I guess I just always liked the idea of not having moderators (and since this is FIRST, there wouldn't be edit wars or anything on the wiki).

No matter what is done, I'm happy to contribute
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
no team (FIRST Mentors)

Sounds like ya all nailed it on the head. The other thing you could do is limit the number of people that submit, say a handful on a team. You can also make it so everyone can donate. Not sure how everyone would want to set that up, but that's up to web designers, not management type people like myself (yes, BS of General Management, and I do know what I'm talking about, which scares most people).
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2005, 05:50 PM
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)

how about doing it so each team has a single account that way you keep it easy. everyone on the team can use the account but we dont have mutiple people from the same team going on and asking the same question.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2005, 10:25 AM
no team (FIRST Mentors)

It's an idea, matter of finding who could actually program the system.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Programming User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Machado IV
It's an idea, matter of finding who could actually program the system.
I'm willing to help, but I've currently got several other projects, some of which are FIRST related. (Anyone ever heard of the FIRST Contact Database? [What?!? You haven't? Well, check if your team is signed up already, then add them if they aren't!])

Come on someone, volunteer!

Man, all these opportunities to promote the best FIRST thing ever.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: