OCCRA
Go to Post SWARF is evil! - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  #196   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 11:51 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of
Re: Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator and Powercube Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilum40 View Post
I would love to find a bright PURPLE powder and a local powder coater that would do the job for free in the Arlington, Texas area. Our shop is 1/4 of a regular classroom and cannot support it. I guess it's get the team to buy 2 cans of Krylon and spray the thing again....haha
Off topic but we don't powder coat anything (havent established a sponsor yet for it) and we just use Krylon. We've actually had people come up to us and ask if we powdercoated it due to how nice it turned out (at the beginning of the season, it had significant wear from +70 matches.)

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #197   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM
Mech working in Tech
FRC #5499 (The Bay Orangutans) & FRC #687 (The Nerd Herd)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
josesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond reputejosesantos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doubtful that most people in this thread will change camps any time soon, so I'd like shift this conversation in a slightly different direction. These kits are out in the wild, and are likely here to stay at least for this season. No doubt some lower/mid-resource teams will buy them. How can Adam/WCP improve the experience for those teams? I have some suggestions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
FIRST is too large and is recruiting too many unprepared teams to stick to its classical roots as a hardcore pure engineering challenge. Either the criteria for forming a team needs to change, or there needs to be even more encouragement of COTS solutions to help these teams. An analogy to the Vex Clawbot included in every kit of parts in a similar opt out fashion as the kop drive would be an incredible asset to the program.
Adam, do you and/or WCP plan to release any further documentation for these products? If the target audience is teams who could put together something like a VEX Clawbot or the AM14U drive, then I'd expect some kind of assembly guide to be available. A link to the RAMP elevator motor sizing video on the Greyt elevator page would probably go a long way as well. At the moment, it seems there are only STEP files.
Mentor 2014-Present
2017 Houston World Champions! Thanks to teams 973, 1011, and 2928!
  #198   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by josesantos View Post
I'm doubtful that most people in this thread will change camps any time soon, so I'd like shift this conversation in a slightly different direction. These kits are out in the wild, and are likely here to stay at least for this season. No doubt some lower/mid-resource teams will buy them. How can Adam/WCP improve the experience for those teams? I have some suggestions below.

Adam, do you and/or WCP plan to release any further documentation for these products? If the target audience is teams who could put together something like a VEX Clawbot or the AM14U drive, then I'd expect some kind of assembly guide to be available. A link to the RAMP elevator motor sizing video on the Greyt elevator page would probably go a long way as well. At the moment, it seems there are only STEP files.
Assembly tips are being worked on currently and should be released soon.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #199   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 08:28 PM
AKA: Dylan
FRC #3495 (Mindcraft Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
isjustaprankbro will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corsetto View Post
This explains why FRC has gone downhill ever since the kitbot came out.

Thanks!

-Mike
But at the same time, it's well known that a drivetrain will NEVER win you a competition. With the addition of cots items that directly manipulate game pieces specific to that year, it messes up the system...
  #200   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieS View Post
Is this some weird dimension? Are you living on a different planet than the rest of us? Idk how you prepare your kids, but I know that many mentors prepare their students for the real world. They do real machining. Real designing. Let me guess, you are only preparing the students for the real world when its something you agree with?

-Ronnie
okay wow buddy lets all chill lol
  #201   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:14 PM
FRC #1984 (Jawas)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
DanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant futureDanielPlotas has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjustaprankbro View Post
But at the same time, it's well known that a drivetrain will NEVER win you a competition. With the addition of cots items that directly manipulate game pieces specific to that year, it messes up the system...
About that....
  #202   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPlotas View Post
A lot can change in a decade.
  #203   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 10:25 PM
1557 alumni, 4639 mentor
AKA: adam spears
FRC #4639 (RoboSpartans)

Rookie Year: 2007
gorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow now I feel old lol,

I was in awe of 148's 2008 bot when I was a sophomore, an absolute unit

Team 1557 2007-2011 student-Lake County FL

Current Team 4639 mentor- Houston TX
  #204   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 12:31 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But the three most important parts of the robot are still drivetrain, drivetrain, and drivetrain.

To be fair, Tumbleweed did have a non-drivetrain feature, used to knock balls off of the Overpass.

And, also to be fair, the GDC does try to make sure that at least some aspects of the offensive game can be done by a robot that has a drivetrain and not much else. This year, that would be the Auto line (5 points), the Exchange (some number of points between 0 and ?? depending on use case), and Parking (5 points). Last year was a little tougher, but gears (passive retrieval zone collector) and low-boiler fuel are examples. It's just that by the time you make eliminations, you've probably got something more than just a drivetrain...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#205   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM
FRC #6762

Mr.R^2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With the addition of cots items that directly manipulate game pieces specific to that year, it messes up the system...
I have been following this thread closely for a bit, and I have been perplexed by the fact that the REV lift kits seem not have not been mentioned. Is the above perhaps one of the differences, or did people just not feel the need to distinguish between the kits?

Either way, does that help draw a line?
  #206   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 08:28 AM
volunteer helper
FRC #0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Rookie Year: 1997
meaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago, when our team initially started this website, we hoped it would be understood by those that choose to use it - respectful, shared thoughts and ideas would yield a better FIRST community. With that, it would require everyone to be open minded enough to allow opinions that differ from theirs to still be shared (as long as it didn’t break any rules). Most importantly, using gracious professionalism as the basis.
When we started the experience, COTS, AndyMark, VEX, nor many current suppliers existed. My, how times have changed.
My take on this is - if it helps teams fulfill a need and supports a better FIRST experience - so be it. Not every team has the same resource capabilities or limitations, so - far be it from me to judge what is best for others.
There are many ways to “do” this thing called FIRST.

Mike

Last edited by meaubry : 01-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.
  #207   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
FRC #1458

JuanTapMan is an unknown quantity at this point

As a middle-ish tier team, I think that the best solution to these COTS parts is having a time restriction on when they are released to determine if they are legal to use in competition. The REV Robotics elevator was created long beforehand, and became a valuable resource in this game, but have a few flaws that require some engineering around to make them work.
Our own team this year used parts from the REV Robotics elevator, like the 8020 and the bearing blocks because they saved time and were elegant solutions to otherwise a large time-consuming task that required machines and parts we would not have necessarily had access to.
However, this Greyt claw and elevator were custom made for the game and take out a lot of innovation for newer teams, or teams that buy them in general because they're well-designed for little effort.
However, I know that there are teams out there that do not have the ability to machine anything competitive, and I do think that there is an underlying issue with FIRST and new teams.
  #208   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM
AKA: Stuart King
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant futureMr. Tatorscout has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieS View Post
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"
-Ronnie
I hope people take your advice.
  #209   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM
back again
FRC #5499

Rookie Year: 2010
connor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond reputeconnor.worley has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that some people don't consider integrating someone else's system into your own design a valid form of engineering... Putting a big system like this on a robot is not a plug and play operation, there's still plenty of room for problem solving and learning - it'll probably even be necessary. Integrating systems isn't that easy.
日本語副専攻です!話しましょう!
I work for Yelp on the Performance Core Backend Core Services team.
  #210   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2018, 06:44 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor.worley View Post
It's interesting that some people don't consider integrating someone else's system into your own design a valid form of engineering... Putting a big system like this on a robot is not a plug and play operation, there's still plenty of room for problem solving and learning - it'll probably even be necessary. Integrating systems isn't that easy.
Arguably, integrating systems is where many teams absolutely fail at engineering-- how many teams had a fuel shooter last year that they couldn't feed consistently? How many designs have issues transferring between their intake and their scoring mechanism? I still remember how many teams designed frisbee shooters in 2013 with zero consideration for how frisbees would actually get loaded to the shooter.

It's mentioned somewhat often on here but ignored at times that a large part of engineering is, in fact, integrating other folks components and figuring out what you need to do custom to do your thing. There's certainly a set of teams that integrating one of these mechanisms represents a large portion of the engineering effort they have to expend during a season.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: