Go to Post If you are new to these forums, you might want to observe the discussions a while before diving in with opinions, emotions, and expertise. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Producer at The RoboSportsNetwork
AKA: Matt Starke
FRC #0174 (Arctic Warriors); (Alumni: 340 (GRR), 1126 (SparX))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Starke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond repute
[TBA Blog] How to Win IRI 2017 and Who to Win With

How to Win IRI 2017 and Who to Win With

The Festival of Champions has two sets of world champions; Chezy Champs may have the best in the West; but IRI is known throughout all of FIRST to be the home to the best robots, and is heralded as the most competitive event of the year.

Since IRI is the cream of the crop in FIRST, letís look at a few things: first, the archetypes of robots in STEAMWorks. Second, what high-level play in STEAMworks looks like, and finally, Iíll give my thoughts on some of the teams to watch for at IRI this year.

Check out the rest of the article here: https://blog.thebluealliance.com/201...o-to-win-with/

Do you agree with our predictions? Reply to this thread and let us know!

Team 340 | G.R.R. | Alumni/Mentor | 2003-2007, 2010
Team 1126 | SparX | Engineer | 2008-2009
Team 174 | Arctic Warriors | Advisor | 2012 - Present
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Making my way downtown cadding fast
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
niklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to behold
Re: [TBA Blog] How to Win IRI 2017 and Who to Win With

Thanks for writing up this post. My only disagreement with the post is that 2122 wasn't mentioned. They have one of the most consistent 40 kpa autons out there and their gear game isn't something to take lightly. I would be very surprised if Tators weren't one of the top seeds as well as if they don't make it far in elims.

Best of luck to all teams competing. It's is sure to be a great competition.

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Student Co-Leader
AKA: Dwight Howard
FRC #5842 (Royal Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2016
Dwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to behold

I'm sad we didn't show up on the list of teams in this blog yeah we aren't that well know however we could have easily gone toe to toe with 118 in the elimination matches of Newton division in Houston, but unfortunately, we never got to. We don't necessarily have the best but a very decent hopper auto and often got 40 kpa in matches in Newton. Also if we were to focus on gears we could easily do 4 and have done up to 7 in the past with our ground pickup.

I don't understand why were not showing up on to many prediction radars other than were a second-year team.

I really hope we surprise everyone...

2017 Lone Star Regional Winner

"It Doesn't Get Easier. You Just Get Better."

Last edited by Dwight_2 : 07-12-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 09:46 PM
AKA: Joe Barry
FRC #0987 (HIGH ROLLERS)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
JB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas674 View Post
Thanks for writing up this post. My only disagreement with the post is that 2122 wasn't mentioned. They have one of the most consistent 40 kpa autons out there and their gear game isn't something to take lightly. I would be very surprised if Tators weren't one of the top seeds as well as if they don't make it far in elims.

+1!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm over here. Not over Thayer.
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)

Thayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

+1 but in addition to 2122 I would include 1619, they didn't have very good luck at the championship but I think they deserved a mention. Obviously you can't completely please everyone.

It was an excellent blog post, I was happy to see 3847 get a mention.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:23 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer McCollum View Post
I was really impressed with 3847 in prescouting them.

I'm curious to see how the new hopper autos (3847, 2791, 4587, and I'm sure others) turn out. Unless they can convince an established hopper auto to run theirs instead, they may only have a few matches to show it off before eliminations.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Making my way downtown cadding fast
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: CAD

niklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer McCollum View Post
+1 but in addition to 2122 I would include 1619, they didn't have very good luck at the championship but I think they deserved a mention. Obviously you can't completely please everyone.

I feel like a doofus not seeing that 1619 wasnít mentioned. Another team that deserved to be mentoined and will for sure do amazing at IRI.

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:40 PM
#NotSoShakyAnymore
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics), FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight_2 View Post
I'm sad we didn't show up on the list of teams in this blog yeah we aren't that well know however we could have easily gone toe to toe with 118 in the elimination matches of Newton division in Houston, but unfortunately, we never got to. We don't necessarily have the best but a very decent hopper auto and often got 40 kpa in auto in Newton. Also if we were to focus on gears we could easily do 4 and have done up to 7 in the past with our ground pickup.

I don't understand why were not showing up on to many prediction radars other than were a second-year team.

Don't be sad, these rankings do tend to favor the more established powerhouses. Think of this IRI as a chance to get your name out there.

And besides, those who have really been doing their homework know to watch out for 5842. I'm looking forward to our match together

2012-present, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2017: Hatboro QF and Exc. in Eng., Bridgewater-Raritan QF and Entrpreneurship
2016: Mount Olive Winner (1257, 5624, 1676), Bridgewater-Raritan Finalist (1257, 25, 3340, 555) and GP, MAR CMP Winner (225, 341, 1257), Archimedes SF (4003, 4564, 5842, 1257), IRI Invite
2015: Mount Olive QF and Safety Award, North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257) and Team Spirit and Safety Awards
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF
2013: TCNJ Safety Award
2012: Mount Olive QF

SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers: 2017 Elgin Clock Award and SLFF Champions
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Bit Twiddler
FRC #2832

Steven Carmain will become famous soon enough

Thank you for highlighting 2337's strategy at MSC, it was so unique that I wish more people would have seen it.

They figured out that they should outshoot any robot (especially in their division that didn't have a decent shooter (aka >10kpa)),so they took 2 weaker robots that played the best defense and could climb (according to our rankings) and would play 2 and D, because 2 rotors + 41 kPa + 3 climbs beat 3 rotors (and little fuel) every time. (and yes, they beat us with it)

Their alliance defense was top notch, and only the super strong division alliance with 33, 2834, and 469 could show them. Round 1, the Bees alliance got 4 rotors, so they had to change it up. Normally, they played their defense in the middle of the field, but with the 4 rotor match, they switched to defense on the pegs (and 5561 could come out to hit the bees if they shot) the second round. This strategy silenced the arena (spread between 4 fields) as just the craziest strategy attempted this year.

My opinion from the match (and strategy in general) : How was there not a blockade yellow card thrown? Multiple robots shutting off major scoring elements is the definition of G10. (guess it says all 3 lifts) Also, the bee's alliance complained after that match that multiple pegs were bent due to the heavy defense on them and should have gotten a field destruction yellow card.

In general, I thought G10 wasn't called enough this season; when a blockade is so bad that the announcer says the blue alliance trapped all 3 red robots in their 1/3 of the field, I think that's a blockade.

G10. Donít collude with your partners to shut down major parts of game play. Two or more ROBOTS may not isolate or close off any major facet of MATCH play, e.g. block all three opponent LIFTS, shut down all access to GAME PIECES, quarantine all opponents to a small
area of the FIELD, etc.

A robot is like a campfire: it takes a while to bulid it, and then everyone surounds it!
A world without standards is chaos. A world with standards is chaos.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Robotics Engineer
AKA: Nick Coussens
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Carmain View Post
Thank you for highlighting 2337's strategy at MSC, it was so unique that I wish more people would have seen it.

They figured out that they should outshoot any robot (especially in their division that didn't have a decent shooter (aka >10kpa)),so they took 2 weaker robots that played the best defense and could climb (according to our rankings) and would play 2 and D, because 2 rotors + 41 kPa + 3 climbs beat 3 rotors (and little fuel) every time. (and yes, they beat us with it)

Their alliance defense was top notch, and only the super strong division alliance with 33, 2834, and 469 could show them. Round 1, the Bees alliance got 4 rotors, so they had to change it up. Normally, they played their defense in the middle of the field, but with the 4 rotor match, they switched to defense on the pegs (and 5561 could come out to hit the bees if they shot) the second round. This strategy silenced the arena (spread between 4 fields) as just the craziest strategy attempted this year.

My opinion from the match (and strategy in general) : How was there not a blockade yellow card thrown? Multiple robots shutting off major scoring elements is the definition of G10. (guess it says all 3 lifts) Also, the bee's alliance complained after that match that multiple pegs were bent due to the heavy defense on them and should have gotten a field destruction yellow card.

In general, I thought G10 wasn't called enough this season; when a blockade is so bad that the announcer says the blue alliance trapped all 3 red robots in their 1/3 of the field, I think that's a blockade.

G10. Donít collude with your partners to shut down major parts of game play. Two or more ROBOTS may not isolate or close off any major facet of MATCH play, e.g. block all three opponent LIFTS, shut down all access to GAME PIECES, quarantine all opponents to a small
area of the FIELD, etc.
This has ben discussed before. The general verdict was that all 3 gear pegs would need to be blocked for it to count as blockading. I don't think the blockading rule should be done this way, and I think that rule definitely needs to be developed more, but that was the way it was for this season.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM
AKA: Gabriel Krotkov
FRC #1712 (Dawgma)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
GKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud of

Matt's post hit on a lot of key elements of Steamworks strategy, and I laud* it for that. Its a different way of organizing game strategy than I'm generally think of it, but the core ideas are similar to what I've seen and known throughout the season. It was really interesting and informative to think of Steamworks strategy in another organizational mode. (I, also, loved hearing from 2337's MSC strategy. It was really cool - whatever the legality of it may be.)

On the subject of specific teams:
I think one of the elements that makes 2767 so good is often overlooked: their ability to "play well" with other shooters, especially in autonomous. You can see this aspect going back even to their MI district play, when in an alliance with 4967 where they managed to both contribute fuel in autonomous effectively, which led them to a strongly fuel-backed district win. It showed up strongly in their StL Champs play with 254. I couldn't for sure say what precisely allows them to play well with others so well, but I suspect it's a combination of shooting position versatility, shot arc, and ability to wind up with a full hopper while running gears without going to a field hopper. Either way, I seem to notice that 2767 can better integrate with other shooters than most other teams can.

* laud is such a great word, and it gets used so rarely. In my books it's up there with "shenanigans" for cool words.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 04:47 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sad we didn't show up on the list of teams in this blog yeah we aren't that well know however we could have easily gone toe to toe with 118 in the elimination matches of Newton division in Houston, but unfortunately, we never got to. We don't necessarily have the best but a very decent hopper auto and often got 40 kpa in auto in Newton. Also if we were to focus on gears we could easily do 4 and have done up to 7 in the past with our ground pickup.

There's only one thing to do: prove them wrong.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 06:41 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think the only opinion 2122 cares about is the teams they pick on Saturday and if they want to work with them or not.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Robotics Engineer
AKA: Nick Coussens
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Emphasis mine.

I think you guys had a great robot. That said you need to make sure you're using facts when saying something like this. The highest kpa totals your team ever had coming out of auto in a match was 26kpa at champs. Your average kpa in auto in quals and elims was 17.6875kpa/match auto.*

Don't get me wrong, averaging almost 18kpa in auto per match is way more then the large majority of teams in FIRST, but you have to realize it is IRI and there are a ton of great teams attending. Someone posted it to CD a little while ago, but the total number of teams that reached 40kpa in auto just once was very small. There are a bunch of extremely good robots that have great shots at winning this year that weren't mentioned. Just be sure when having conversation you're using factual-based reasoning.

*Source: TBA, auto kpa totals (Qual and Elim): 16, 20, 12, 12, 4, 22, 24, 5, 18, 22, 26, 23, 23, 11, 24, 21
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 11:09 AM
FRC #2702 (Rebels)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Nessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant future

Interesting post. While the video from Waterloo might have showcased x-and-d, in actuality they just wanted to warm up the drivers defense for elims.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: