OCCRA
Go to Post There's a balance to it all, when the engineers guide the students, and both cooperate to build a robot. There can be no better way then when both sides are in cooperation - the true spirit of FIRST. - Jim McGeehin [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:01 AM
FRC #0100

pKlopp is on a distinguished road
Weird Catapult

Back a few weeks ago at Bay Area maker fair, I saw this very clever catapult system on an an FTC robot. I knew I had seen it somewhere before and went to work that evening. After a little while I finally found it. Here is the video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92IbHU0Z76I (0:23 seconds)

However, I was wondering how they were able to adjust the catapult to create their variable shots? Hopefully, someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird Catapult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKlopp View Post
Back a few weeks ago at Bay Area maker fair, I saw this very clever catapult system on an an FTC robot. I knew I had seen it somewhere before and went to work that evening. After a little while I finally found it. Here is the video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92IbHU0Z76I (0:23 seconds)

However, I was wondering how they were able to adjust the catapult to create their variable shots? Hopefully, someone can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

Changed the end stops.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:16 AM
FRC #0100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Changed the end stops.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? If I am interpreting what you say correctly, I am fairly certain that this is impossible for this design. The design depends on the the two catapult stages being able to straighten out and release the spring tension. A simple hard stop would not allow this to happen and the catapult motor could not be rotated enough to rewind the system. I am probably missing something very simple that would explain how this system works though!

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:28 AM
User
no team

Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Your choo-choo linkage doesn't have to completely straighten out to rewind. Or at least, 125's didn't. In fact, due to the construction of the mechanism using the linkage to hard stop could result in damage to the gearbox. There's enough links in the gearbox that you should be able to wind it even if it starts a little cocked.

In our case we had a rope hard stop that defined the max angle of release for the catapult (i.e. long range shot) and a cylinder to change the length of that rope (via a pulley and a second cylinder handling the lock) for the short range shot. (This was all post season work that it got resolved)

Mind you, this is all based on recollections of a robot that was nearly 3 years ago so some of it may be hazy.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM
FRC #0100

I think I catch your drift. To avoid not being able to re wind because of the hard stop, you could simply wind the mechanism up the opposite direction and it would work exactly the same (I think).

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:36 AM
User
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKlopp View Post
I think I catch your drift. To avoid not being able to re wind because of the hard stop, you could simply wind the mechanism up the opposite direction and it would work exactly the same (I think).

No? Our mechanism only ran one way.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:39 AM
FRC #0100

*sighs* ok back to square one. Do you have any photos, video, or diagrams?

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 12:16 PM
FRC #3005 (RoboChargers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
Steven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an example of a simple one done on the VEX BuildBlitz and what FRC3005 did in 2014.

If you search choo-choo mechanism you'll find more good pictures, and it isn't the easiest thing to explain when you don't have one in your hands... but I'll give it a try. We happened to use nylon webbing connected outside of the choochoo mechanism to provide a "stop" for the catapult, and adjusted the length manually to tune in the shot.

Lets call the short linkage connected to the large gear "1" and the longer linkage that connects the catapult to linkage 1, "2". There is a bolt head embedded in the gear that is long enough to catch linkage 1, but not 2.

At full extension, the gear is rotated such that the bolt connecting 1 to the gear is in the position closest to the catapult. Linkage 1 and 2 could make a straight line to the catapult if the lengths were nearly that of the hard stop, or they might have a bit of a dog leg if the hard stop is holding it short.

Regardless, after the shot, the gear begins to rotate counterclockwise to rewind (in this example). By moving the connection from gear to link 1 backwards (away from the catapult, you straighten out the link between 1 and 2, and begin to "rooster? thx overly strict forum filter" the catapult. After 180deg of rotation of the gear, your bolt head in that gear now rests against linkage 1. Now as the gear continues to rotate (the picture is showing this), you start to double linkage 1 over itself until you have essentially the gear/1 connection point very close to the starting point, link 1 pointing away from the catapult, and link 2 doubled over it, and the embedded bolt head holding a tiny bit of load. This is the cocked position. If you advance the gear maybe 10 deg, the linkages break over the stable position and are allowed to snap open (roughly 2x the length of link 1), firing the catapult.

If this is still crazy unclear, I might try to make a model in CAD some time in the next day or two.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 03:51 PM
FRC #6420 (Fire Island Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really nice

I saw this thread, and remembered coming across a video of this sort of mechanism while researching catapult ideas.

https://youtu.be/-Txh2noxewQ?t=46

They have a slow-motion video side-by-side which demonstrates how the mechanism functions rather well.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Zot Zot Zot
AKA: Saikiran Ramanan
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
saikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an animation of a choo choo linkage.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieProgramme View Post
https://youtu.be/-Txh2noxewQ?t=46

They have a slow-motion video side-by-side which demonstrates how the mechanism functions rather well.
Serves as a great example of why you should include mechanical hardstops to avoid destroying the linkage and mounts.

2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Seed
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Seed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: