OCCRA
Go to Post ..attitude and willingness to work as a team...are the qualities that can make or break a team. - Monochron [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Robots For All
AKA: noops
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things Learned During Build Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMaven View Post
A better one: Finish the robot early so that the programmers have time to PROGRAM. Seriously, we need time to write and, more importantly, to test our code. My two years so far were awful because of this, and year three likely will be stressful again.

We withheld our cRIO and are building a practice bot to test code.... i'd much rather be practicing driving and building those relationships with the rest of the drive team.

Also: bad PWM cables exist. And DIO modules are weird. I'm getting a timeloop error even though this is the same setup i have used for the past 3 years.

Also: Take advantage of practice fields and scrimmages.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
MST Rolla Senior
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
Also: bad PWM cables exist.
1. Yes, bad PWM cables exist. Also, bad digital sidecar modules exist. Um, wait, what? We found this one out after our programmers spent a week trying to debug code that wasn't broken, but wouldn't work.

2. LabVIEW really sucks if you don't KNOW LabVIEW. As heard from our mentor "There's no way to easily debug LabVIEW. Switch to Java soon or I'm leaving!"

3. Just because Inventor tells you it's not going to flip, does not mean it ain't going to flip.

4. Please look at your design constraints before you actually design something. Our shooter team spent the first four weeks designing a turret shooter, only to mount it and find out they forgot that they have limited space and in it's initial position, it sticks a good bit outside the frame perimeter, and it'd have to be retracted everytime we would like to cross the bridge.

5. (Personal one) Missing Presidents Day because you're sick really does suck. You miss out on a whole bunch of last minute decisions while you're gone too.

6. Just for fun, MMR2410 has had 3 years of Sweetheart Dance royalty Wohoo!

Happy Competition Season everyone!
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016) | FTC Referee (2017) | VEX IQ MC (2017) | FRC A/V (2017)
Academic Student (Forever)
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Flamewar Initiator
FRC #0907 (E. Y. Cybernetics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
shawnz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherSD View Post
Take "concept-freeze" day seriously.
We learn this one every year.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Student
AKA: Cory Rypkema
FRC #0706
Team Role: Alumni

~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold

As a programmer I learned that ~90% of all problems can be solved with this process: (Rather than guess/check or theoretical fixes)

1. Ping the Robot
2. Check the voltage (under load!!!)
3. Check and keep your documentation ACCURATE
4. Walk through your logic with sample data. Then have someone else walk through a psuedocode version. Numbers should match
5. If something works, save and create a backup
6. Sockets, Threading and Vision can be difficult. Split the work up
7. Use the debugger. Its there for a reason.
8. Read the output from netconsole or serial during startup. You can find many hidden errors there, such as defaulting to old code!
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
trying to do simple better
FRC #0558 (Elm City Robo Squad)

Rookie Year: 2003
Justin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmolloy View Post
Honestly, way too much. 973 has helped me as a mentor, grow and learn so much this year. Granted, I'm no AdamHeard when it comes to design and fabrication but with just a bit more help and examples I will be gaining the tools to eventually gain that potential. The past 6 weeks were stellar and the next 6 should be even more awesome.
You'll never stop learning how to be a better mentor, and that's part of the fun in it.
2003-2006 | FRC 0176 | Aces High - Student
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:46 AM
AKA: Adam Talajkowski
FRC #0930 (Mukwonago B.E.A.R.s - Building Extremely Awesome Robots)
Team Role: Electrical

TheAthlete is an unknown quantity at this point

Being an electrical lead for the first time, and now the official head driver, I now understand what 'real' stress is. I've only had 2 practice matches at a mini-regional (Sussex, WI) and a total of 30 minutes of pure driving. Now we've bagged and i won't be driving again until competition.

Needless to say, give your drive-team more time with the robot!
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

I learned that it's wrong to assume that poor decisions leading directly to difficult situations last year would not be repeated this year.

I learned that a pair of student programmers can do great things without supervision.

I learned that many people are unable to follow simple and explicit written directions, to answer simple direct questions, or to describe simple status indicators accurately. I have to learn that anew every year.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Robots For All
AKA: noops
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
I learned that it's wrong to assume that poor decisions leading directly to difficult situations last year would not be repeated this year.

I learned that a pair of student programmers can do great things without supervision.

I learned that many people are unable to follow simple and explicit written directions, to answer simple direct questions, or to describe simple status indicators accurately. I have to learn that anew every year.
Sounds like it was a rough year.... :\
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Principal Engineer
AKA: Keith Buchanan
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)

Rookie Year: 2004
wireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond reputewireties has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to wireties

Measure twice, punch then drill once - and that people tend to ignore this when under stress
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
VirginiaFIRST FTA
AKA: Jack of all trades, Master of few
no team (Forget not 616)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
pyroslev is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Things Learned During Build Season

I was out of it for three years, and come back into it, most things stay the same.

Whatever your team number is, that's how many designs you seem to go through and you still end up modifying it. (i.e. Design 1610, Version 7.)

That even students that are tag alongs or just there can be sucked into it.

Stopping for a meal break and sitting round a table with your team just goes to to show you Family is what you make it.

Decide where you want you electronics board EARLY so you don't have to redo it.

If you make your own frame (ex: Extruded Aluminum) Order it ahead of time so you don't loose a week.

That sometimes even when your behind or ahead, you can be the opposite.

And that you never get FIRST out of your blood.

From December to April, since 2002, I forfeit my mental sanity for perfect insanity.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
AKA: Cynthia Hannah-White
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)

Squillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant future

No matter how many times you read the competition manual, updates, Q&A, and CD, it's never enough to avoid discovering some blasted rule that you missed the first 18 times around, within 8 hours of stop build deadline.

Measure EVERYTHING. Again and again and again... And then get someone else to measure some more.

It's really fun to wrap the robot in shrink wrap after padding the corners with multi-colored pool noodles held on with too many zip ties, when you're giddy from overwork and undersleep, and finally DONE!!!

And that's just from last night...
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Team Member
FRC #0175 (Buzz)

Rookie Year: 2009
BuzzMathias175 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you need to weight reduce your frame, have freshman drill the mounting holes.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
FRC Team #3337
AKA: Coach Eiland
FRC #3337 (Panthrobotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
MysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond repute

1) You never know when the next great member will come walking through your door. (Especially a new freshman programmer who has become the Lead programmer)

2) Even a Non-Engineering Mentor can have good ideas.

3) There is no way to avoid drama. The best thing you can do is to listen.

4) A good lead engineering mentor will by necessity watch every detail. Listen to them.

5) Pizza. Never. Changes. Taste.
Head Coach - Team #3337
Panthrobotics (Woodlawn HS)
2016: Bayou Regional WFFA Winner
2016: Rocket City Regional Judges Award
2015: Bayou Spirit Award, Bayou Chairman's Award, Bayou Dean's List Finalist (Danielle Massey), Bayou Volunteer of the Year Award
2014: Bayou Dean's List Finalist (Witni Widmeier)
2011: Bayou Regional Winner | Judges Award
2010: Rookie Inspiration Award
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM
FRC #2900 (The Mighty Penguins)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
swwrobotics is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned that prototyping early and testing your ideas works much better than one guy CADing the whole thing for us and the rest of the team doing nothing. This is what happened to us last year and we ended up finishing the robot at the last minute at the regionals but it was too late to program any of it.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsakshaug View Post
As a mentor, I learned that getting changed to second shift at work makes it nearly impossible to work with the team
I completely symphathize - I'm in the same boat. However, I've worked closely with my management and my peers and gotten concensus that as long as my work performance doesn't degrade, I can do both. It makes for long nights though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: